Canadian Streaming Services

CoryCory New Scotland
Assuming you are in Canada:

1) What streaming services do you have?

2) Which streaming services would you suggest?

3) Does anyone have, and suggest Crave?  I've specifically held off on trying Crave because they have no app for the PlayStation (3 or 4).  So I'd have to watch it on my phone(s) or desktop (although I do have a 40 inch TV as one of my monitors).

Comments

• Cory said:
    Assuming you are in Canada:

3) Does anyone have, and suggest Crave?  I've specifically held off on trying Crave because they have no app for the PlayStation (3 or 4).  So I'd have to watch it on my phone(s) or desktop (although I do have a 40 inch TV as one of my monitors).
    I have Netflix, Prime and Crave.  I've also got that Rogers package where you talk to your remote and it will find whatever you're looking for so I don't need to remember what shows are on which service and don't have to scroll through different menus....I just say "Lovecraft Country" and it comes up for me.

I'm not sure how much Crave costs on its own, but last year or so they added way more value to it by rolling all of the HBO shows into it (they used to be on HBO Canada, which was TMN...now it's all Crave).  I have a bundle through rogers, I pay $230 a month - that covers my home phone, a cell phone for my mum, unlimited 1gig internet (wireless for the whole house), 2 talkie cable boxes, 272 channels (including all of the 4k channels), and the NHL Centre Ice package.
  •  and the NHL Centre Ice package.

I thought that was included with your citizenship
    CretanBull
  •  and the NHL Centre Ice package.

We can watch our local market games for free, but I'm a Montreal fan living in Toronto so I have to pay to watch them because they're out of market.
  • CoryCory New Scotland
    Cory said:
    Assuming you ar in Canada:

I have Netflix, Prime and Crave.  I've also got that Rogers package where you talk to your remote and it will find whatever you're looking for so I don't need to remember what shows are on which service and don't have to scroll through different menus....I just say "Lovecraft Country" and it comes up for me.

I'm not sure how much Crave costs on its own, but last year or so they added way more value to it by rolling all of the HBO shows into it (they used to be on HBO Canada, which was TMN...now it's all Crave).  I have a bundle through rogers, I pay $230 a month - that covers my home phone, a cell phone for my mum, unlimited 1gig internet (wireless for the whole house), 2 talkie cable boxes, 272 channels (including all of the 4k channels), and the NHL Centre Ice package.
    Crave is $9.99/month, or what I would get $99.99/year.*

Your Rogers package sounds pretty similar to what I had with Bell FibreOp in my apartment.

So HBO is longer on HBO Canada?  Is there still an HBO Canada?  That's what I watched GoT S7 on.  I knew they made some changes, but last I knew the newest HBO content either wasn't on Crave, or it was an additional cost.

Looking into it further, it's $9.99/Month, or $99.90/year for the basic Crave package, and an additional $9.99/Month, or $99.90/year for "Movies and HBO", and an additional $5.99/Month, or $59.90/year for Starz.
    CretanBull
  • CretanBullCretanBull Toronto
    edited September 15
    ^Ah, so that's what I have - the Crave+Movies & HBO.  I can't tell from the interface that they're not all the same thing because they appear in the same menu and are indistinct from each other.

When you bundle services though, those prices go out the window.  I'm sure if I added up the individual costs of a cell phone, home phone, giant cable package, 1gb internet, NHL, movie packages etc I'd be at like $400 or something.
  • CoryCory New Scotland
    When you bundle services though, those prices go out the window.  I'm sure if I added up the individual costs of a cell phone, home phone, giant cable package, 1gb internet, NHL, movie packages etc I'd be at like $400 or something.
    No doubt, and that'd be per month.

So $198.89 + 15% is $229.87 for a year of HBO (and possibly SHOWTIME?).  /12 = $19.16 a month.  Might be my Xmas present to myself this year.

CretanBull
  • HunkuleseHunkulese Québec, Canada
    Cory said:
    Cory said:
    Assuming you ar in Canada:

Crave is $9.99/month, or what I would get $99.99/year.*

Your Rogers package sounds pretty similar to what I had with Bell FibreOp in my apartment.

So HBO is longer on HBO Canada?  Is there still an HBO Canada?  That's what I watched GoT S7 on.  I knew they made some changes, but last I knew the newest HBO content either wasn't on Crave, or it was an additional cost.

Looking into it further, it's $9.99/Month, or $99.90/year for the basic Crave package, and an additional $9.99/Month, or $99.90/year for "Movies and HBO", and an additional $5.99/Month, or $59.90/year for Starz.
    What even is Crave without movies, HBO, or Starz?

I have Netflix, Prime, and a tv package with Crave. Unfortunately, I'd recommend them all. I've been trying to cut something out for a while now, but there's just enough on each service to keep me signed up.

The only thing that sucks about Crave is I don't think they offer a 4k option for anything. 
  • HunkuleseHunkulese Québec, Canada
     and the NHL Centre Ice package.

We can watch our local market games for free, but I'm a Montreal fan living in Toronto so I have to pay to watch them because they're out of market.
    Can you actually watch the Leafs games for free, or is it free as in you don't pay anything else on top of the Sportsnet/TSN package? 
  • CoryCory New Scotland
    Hunkulese said:

What even is Crave without movies, HBO, or Starz?

I have Netflix, Prime, and a tv package with Crave. Unfortunately, I'd recommend them all. I've been trying to cut something out for a while now, but there's just enough on each service to keep me signed up.

The only thing that sucks about Crave is I don't think they offer a 4k option for anything. 
    I think without HBO or Starz, Crave is CTV/CityTV, (current shows and backlog) and thought I read something about "Crave Originals".  But I'm not really sure.  
  • Hunkulese said:
     and the NHL Centre Ice package.

Can you actually watch the Leafs games for free, or is it free as in you don't pay anything else on top of the Sportsnet/TSN package? 
    Yeah, sorry - I shouldn't have said "free" when I meant "no additional charge".  The Saturday night games are included in even the most basic package because the Leaf games are always on CBC and everyone gets that.  Sportsnet (owned by Rogers) is also in the basic Rogers package so that gives us a lot of the midweek games.  Leaf fans on Rogers cable only miss out on games that are TSN exclusive, but even TSN is included in most packages.

I used to be about to pay $60 a year to get all of the Habs games in French, whether they were on RDS, TVA or whatever.  They got rid of that package though...so now I pay $200 a year for all of the NHL games which obviously includes all of the Habs games and I get them in English.  I'd much rather save $140 and watch in French :(