The Boys Subtitles

Does anyone know of a way to turn on subtitles for only non English speaking parts? I'm watching it through a Chromecast from the Prime Video app on Android. We just watched episode 2 and the first conversation they had in Japanese and sign language I just assumed we weren't supposed to know what they were saying, but then after that went on that long and they went into another scene we rewound it and watched it with the subtitles fully on. I couldn't even find a way to get English without the full CC where it does music notes and (girl crying) and all that shit. I feel like I must be missing something but I stared at it for 20 minutes and came up empty. I really don't want to have to sit there and pause and mess with subtitle settings every time there might be a foreign language spoken cause it seems like there's going to be a lot of it.

Apologies if this has already been discussed in the spoiler threads but we're behind so I didn't want to venture into those yet.

Comments

• It appears this isn't possible for some reason.  I know some of the less than reputable copies floating around have this option, but it seems to me missing from the legal and appropriate distribution.
    bizmarkiefader
  • CoryCory New Scotland
    It appears this isn't possible for some reason.  I know some of the less than reputable copies floating around have this option, but it seems to me missing from the legal and appropriate distribution.
    I'm petty sure I automatically get them when watching through Prime Video on my PS4, or PS3.
    bizmarkiefader
  • Cory said:
    It appears this isn't possible for some reason.  I know some of the less than reputable copies floating around have this option, but it seems to me missing from the legal and appropriate distribution.
    I'm petty sure I automatically get them when watching through Prime Video on my PS4, or PS3.
    It works in the web browser too.  I wonder if this is an issue on the Chromecast.
    bizmarkiefader
  • Cory said:

That's interesting, you would think it would be the same then. It's only recently that I was even able to use the Chromecast with the prime video app (they insisted you buy a firestick which, lol) so there could be some residual effects of the Amazon/Google spat affecting features like this. I found one other person complaining about this on the Amazon forums and the response from their staff was "we will forward your feedback to the video team" so it's looking like I'm just going to have to mess with settings a bunch of times and deal with the (door knocking) (footstep) (door opening) stuff. Oh well.
  • Cory said:
    It works in the web browser too.  I wonder if this is an issue on the Chromecast.

Looks like this is the case, bummer.
  • Teresa from ConcordTeresa from Concord Concord, California
     No issue with Firestick and subtitles. 
  • I hadn't even realized Prime worked on Chromecast now. I don't think that was the case with the old, first generation stick. Maybe they've still yet to work out the kinks. Or they're not all that motivated to do so. 
  • jluzania said:
    I hadn't even realized Prime worked on Chromecast now. I don't think that was the case with the old, first generation stick. Maybe they've still yet to work out the kinks. Or they're not all that motivated to do so. 
    It wasn't a compatibility issue it was just they wanted people to buy into their fire stuff. I only noticed it worked when Expanse S4 came out and I checked the app just to see, we watched The Boys season 1 on the terrible smart TV app last year. I don't know for sure but my guess is once they went hard into spending money on Prime shows they wanted as many people to be able to watch it as possible and backed off their everyone needs Amazon hardware play. 
  • I have both a firestick and chromecast but really only ever use the chromecast. In Episode 3 there were no subtitles between Kimiko and Kenji which was really frustrating but something I thought was possibly a stylistic choice. In episode 4 both the sign language and Kenji were subtitled. 
    bizmarkiefader
  • A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    That's wild, because I use screeners which don't have subtitles available for anything EXCEPT the Kimiko/Kenji stuff, which I thought would mean they're burnt in. So weird.
  • bizmarkiefaderbizmarkiefader San Francisco
    I have both a firestick and chromecast but really only ever use the chromecast. In Episode 3 there were no subtitles between Kimiko and Kenji which was really frustrating but something I thought was possibly a stylistic choice. In episode 4 both the sign language and Kenji were subtitled. 

This was episode 2 and 3 for me but yea, episode 3 they were where you'd expect. I haven't fully caught up but hopefully it's just the one episode that has this problem.