Comments

• That's a solid deal for the digital edition. I'll still end up getting the disc one cause we do occasionally watch blu rays but that's lower than I thought.
  • CoryCory New Scotland
    I can't completely decide.

I won't watch Blu-Rays on it, but will I ever want to buy a game on disc again?
  • A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    That's a solid deal for the digital edition. I'll still end up getting the disc one cause we do occasionally watch blu rays but that's lower than I thought.
    Same. Right at the price point where it's easy to justify for the main family console as a Christmas present. Only question will be will they have them in stock. 
  • Cory said:

The way games are now there's almost no reason to buy it on a disc unless you have bad internet or really constrictive caps. You have to install it and everything needs a 45 gig day one patch now anyway. I really hate the idea of moving away from physical media and the independence that gives you from the whims of corporate overlords but consoles are basically just purpose built PCs at this point with everything that comes with.
    Cory
  • CoryCory New Scotland
    Cory said:

The way games are now there's almost no reason to buy it on a disc unless you have bad internet or really constrictive caps. You have to install it and everything needs a 45 gig day one patch now anyway. I really hate the idea of moving away from physical media and the independence that gives you from the whims of corporate overlords but consoles are basically just purpose built PCs at this point with everything that comes with.
    Yeah, I think that's how I'll go, but I'm also sure I'll regret it a few times a year during its life.
  • CoryCory New Scotland
    I'm sure it will be $50-$100 more here, as well.

Where's that damn Amero?!!
  • Agree that there's almost no reason to have a drive nowadays, however Sony had to offer one for 2 reasons - 1, there is still a large chunk of the US that has either poor broadband access or capped access. For most people, though, you don't need disc drives as it doesn't really save you that much space and if a service pulls the plug your game probably won't work whether you've got the disc or not. The only true advantage still remaining to discs is the ability to resell. 

The REAL reason Sony has to offer a disc drive on this, though, is they (wrongly) killed microsoft for proposing a digital-only console last generation and they can't take the PR hit. 

Also, I have to say I feel like unlike last time, MS would be in the better position here if both had a clean slate. Their $500 console is more powerful, and you can get it + game pass on a $35 a month plan for 2 years, which actually works out to less than the retail cost for both, so it's basically better than a 0% loan, and they have the $300 lower-power digital version (which you can also get on that monthly deal - $25 or $30 a month or something like that) for people who want a media center and don't need 4k gaming. Plus game pass is SUCH a good value when compared to PSnow or whatever. 
  • CoryCory New Scotland
    Canadian pricing 

$629.99 & $499.99

Games uo $10
    Controllers also $89.99 Cdn

Pre-orders apparently started yesterday,  the 16th.
  • asmallcat said:
    Agree that there's almost no reason to have a drive nowadays, however Sony had to offer one for 2 reasons - 1, there is still a large chunk of the US that has either poor broadband access or capped access. For most people, though, you don't need disc drives as it doesn't really save you that much space and if a service pulls the plug your game probably won't work whether you've got the disc or not. The only true advantage still remaining to discs is the ability to resell. 

The REAL reason Sony has to offer a disc drive on this, though, is they (wrongly) killed microsoft for proposing a digital-only console last generation and they can't take the PR hit. 

Also, I have to say I feel like unlike last time, MS would be in the better position here if both had a clean slate. Their $500 console is more powerful, and you can get it + game pass on a $35 a month plan for 2 years, which actually works out to less than the retail cost for both, so it's basically better than a 0% loan, and they have the $300 lower-power digital version (which you can also get on that monthly deal - $25 or $30 a month or something like that) for people who want a media center and don't need 4k gaming. Plus game pass is SUCH a good value when compared to PSnow or whatever. 
    Yeah I'm an Xbox guy because really the only game I play regularly is Halo. I'm also very much a physical media kind of person. I'm not into music that much so I don't have anything for CDs but I've got easily over 1000 movies and my 4k collection is not far from 200. I'll always have the console that has a disk drive for this reason and just prefer having the physical disk of a game.

But to each their own, digital works better for a ton of people and I've debated getting Gamepass for a month and seeing what I think. After my current xbox live membership expires I'll probably consider it. 
  • The digital only is going to kill the second-hand market.  You can't pick up a used game on a digital only console.  You can't resell a game you've finished or don't care for.  You can't loan it to a buddy who wants to try it but doesn't want to commit $60.  

Now, most of the major companies in the second-hand market are pretty awful.  (Looking at you GameStop.)  But there are plenty of smaller stores that buy and sell used games too.  

I've been playing less and less games for the past few years and don't see myself buying either console any time soon, though I probably will end up with one eventually.  Also, as a rule I never buy launch consoles.  Always wait for a hardware revision or two.  I can't imagine I would buy the one without the drive.  It can do everything the digital console does, plus it doesn't cut you out of the second-hand market and can replace your blu-ray player.  One less thing hooked up to the TV.
  • edited September 17
    The digital only is going to kill the second-hand market.  You can't pick up a used game on a digital only console.  You can't resell a game you've finished or don't care for.  You can't loan it to a buddy who wants to try it but doesn't want to commit $60.  

Now, most of the major companies in the second-hand market are pretty awful.  (Looking at you GameStop.)  But there are plenty of smaller stores that buy and sell used games too.  

I've been playing less and less games for the past few years and don't see myself buying either console any time soon, though I probably will end up with one eventually.  Also, as a rule I never buy launch consoles.  Always wait for a hardware revision or two.  I can't imagine I would buy the one without the drive.  It can do everything the digital console does, plus it doesn't cut you out of the second-hand market and can replace your blu-ray player.  One less thing hooked up to the TV.
    I still get salty that all consoles only have 1 HDMI output. I have a very nice sound system and the only way to send a Dolby Atmos or DTS-X signal is directly through HDMI to the receiver. But by doing so you are effecting (affecting? I always hate affect vs effect) the input lag because the signal is being run through the receiver and then sent to the TV.

I really should just run it through my receiver and not bitch about it because I really don't game that much or competitively but it still annoys me. And ARC is the devil and causes a big audio delay, I've tried every way possible but no luck. My 4k Blu Ray player has 2 HDMI outputs why can't my $500 gaming console do the same. 
  • CoryCory New Scotland
    awookiee said:
    The digital only is going to kill the second-hand market.  You can't pick up a used game on a digital only console.  You can't resell a game you've finished or don't care for.  You can't loan it to a buddy who wants to try it but doesn't want to commit $60.  

I still get salty that all consoles only have 1 HDMI output. I have a very nice sound system and the only way to send a Dolby Atmos or DTS-X signal is directly through HDMI to the receiver. But by doing so you are effecting (affecting? I always hate affect vs effect) the input lag because the signal is being run through the receiver and then sent to the TV.

I really should just run it through my receiver and not bitch about it because I really don't game that much or competitively but it still annoys me. And ARC is the devil and causes a big audio delay, I've tried every way possible but no luck. My 4k Blu Ray player has 2 HDMI outputs why can't my $500 gaming console do the same. 
    I use an optical cord from my TV to my receiver.
  • Sucks when the kid is a die hard Halo fan but you grew up a PS fan and definitely will be needing to play FF7 parts 2 through whatever.
  • A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    Goddamn, preorders sold out in like 30 seconds. What hope outside of scalpers for a person to get one by Christmas?
  • Goddamn, preorders sold out in like 30 seconds. What hope outside of scalpers for a person to get one by Christmas?
    Usually stores will have certain amount that they won’t allow preorder in order to drive business at the store. I’d recommend calling around your area when it gets closer and see if any are doing that. Prepare to line up though. 
  • Singapore pre-orders start in 3 hours. Wish me luck. 
  • Garthgou81Garthgou81 Placerville, CA
    Goddamn, preorders sold out in like 30 seconds. What hope outside of scalpers for a person to get one by Christmas?
    Take that money and just spend it all on Fall Guys outfits
  • MurderbearMurderbear Cold Spring, Ky
    I believe it was just the initial wave of pre-orders that sold out immediately. Sony has said they will have more in stock but of course they are going to say that right now.

I was pretty surprised they made it a $100 difference. I was guessing it would be $50. With that said, I am definitely buying the disc version. Even though out of the hundreds of games I have bought or got free from PS+, I want them for movies. I finally bought a 4k TV about 6 months ago and I always want to buy a player but have been holding off on it because of this thing.

One of the few things I am worried though is that hard drive. I know it's super fast and bad ass and I cannot wait to see it in action....it's only 825gb. I put a 2tb drive in my PS4 years ago and it rules. I have 97 games installed right now and still have 258.8gb free. The ten largest games I have would barely fit on that hard drive. And those will be PS5 versions so the files will undoubtedly be bigger because of 4k assets. An external hard drive will be a must.

Whatever though. I am super excited about new consoles! I can't wait to play a PS5 and find out exactly how cool that controller is and feels! I need Cyberpunk 2077!!
  • CoryCory New Scotland
    One of the few things I am worried though is that hard drive. I know it's super fast and bad ass and I cannot wait to see it in action....it's only 825gb. I put a 2tb drive in my PS4 years ago and it rules. I have 97 games installed right now and still have 258.8gb free. The ten largest games I have would barely fit on that hard drive. And those will be PS5 versions so the files will undoubtedly be bigger because of 4k assets. An external hard drive will be a must.
    That's all it is? I was hoping for at least 1TB.

I also put a 2TB drive in my PS4.
  • Garthgou81Garthgou81 Placerville, CA
    Cory said:
    That's all it is? I was hoping for at least 1TB.

I also put a 2TB drive in my PS4.
    Same as both of you. And I was doing fine with it, until I bought Call of Duty. With the (seemingly) weekly updates, it is a monster. This is seriously the last CoD game I buy if this is the way it is going to be. 
  • Damn, I'm not that invested in buying at launch, but reaaally want to play Cyberpunk 2077. With that game coming out a week after PS5 launch it seems dumb to get it on PS4, when I know I'll eventually get PS5. Going to be a tough decision to wait til stores actually have them available.
    Murderbear
  • Damn. Pre-orders were sold out the minute they went online. Damn bots. Had to run to the nearest mall and get in line for a pre-order register. Put $50 down but no guarantee. Will refund if I don’t get one and I’m not getting my hopes up given my place in line
  • I was able to snag one on Walmart’s preorder. It involved a lot of f5 spamming and it probably helped that I already had my payment info saved and ready to go. I had pretty much given up until i saw a Reddit post at 8:59 that said they were going up at 9:00 and figured “what the hell?” I’ll give it a shot. Guess I lucked out. I’ve been all digital for the latter half of the PS4 run as mostly a ‘fuck you’ to GameStop so I went with the digital only. The small hard drive doesn’t really bother me since I’m kinda a 1/2 game at a time player. However, it is strange that they went with a pretty small ssd but I’ll probably swap it out later on. 
  • cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
    I read you can also hook up an external hard drive and play PS4 games.... I could see me getting whatever version is available. But yeah man put me in the heard of people rushing the store. My PS4 was a Christmas gift and my PS3 was a bachelor party gift. I’m due to buy a console. My body is ready. 
    Murderbear
  • edited September 18
    Cory said:
    awookiee said:

I use an optical cord from my TV to my receiver.
    Little bit late responding to this comment but an optical cord will only get you "standard def audio" aka Dolby Digital and DTS. Optical cables don't have the bandwidth to send Dolby Tru-HD, Dolby Atmos, DTS-HD, or DTS-X format audio. This is a total 1st world problem for me but it's a definite annoyance given how much I have invested in my audio setup. It's also the reason I bought a 4k Blu Ray player rather than use my Xbox One X.