Cord Cutting

Well, it took me long enough :)

A couple of months ago I called my cable company to let them know I didn't want to pay for their service anymore and they reduced my bill to half (they were charing me $200 for a 'movie' package which it's real value was HBO, but they let me keep all the same Chanels while paying now only $100).   Then while playing around trying to install the HBO Max app on my fireTV, I accidentally created a new account and HBO was charing me for their service so I ended up paying two bills for HBO.   When I realized what had happened I called the cable company to cancel their cable service (they are still my internet provider) since really I was only watching HBO shows.   The only thing I needed to do was return their cable box to them.   Now looking back, the only real value I got from having cable was being able to tell the time by looking at the cable box.

Is anyone here still paying for cable?

Murderbear

Comments

• Garthgou81Garthgou81 Placerville, CA
    I haven't had cable for over 10-15 years. I really can't imagine going back. When I have gone to my family's, I do like the random stuff you can just throw on  and use for background viewing without dedicating a real decision. But lots of streaming services like Shudder, Peacock, and others have this as well. At the end of the day I pay for Amazon Prime, AppleTV+, Showtime, Hulu, Shudder, Netflix, and HBO. And that is entirely overkill, but it gets me just about everything I want outside of when Better Call Saul shows up again. 
    Freddy
  • MurderbearMurderbear Cold Spring, Ky
    I talked about it for years and I finally cut the cord about 4 or 5 months ago and it is amazing. I share pretty much all of the streaming services with my Dad and Brother so I am covered for almost anything.

I tell you what I do miss though, I always liked turning on the local news before work in the morning. Mainly just for a quick weather and traffic update. I have been working from home since mid July so that doesn't matter as much anymore. The ease too though of being able to just turn your TV on and stuff is playing instead of having to open YouTube or Netflix or whatever was pretty nice. I could get an antenna but the condo I live in is basically underground where my room is so I doubt the reception would be any good.

Got rid of cable, boosted the internet, I'm golden. Which I will say a word to the wise, if you have old shitty equipment from your cable company, ask for an upgrade if you can. The modem/router we had was the original from when I first got cable in 2012. I think the highest I ever saw was maybe, MAYBE 50mbps, usually in the 20-25mbps area. Granted, I went a level higher but after I cut the cord and that first time I ran a speed test and the needle flew all the way up to 419mbps, I was so happy.
    Cory
  • I talked about it for years and I finally cut the cord about 4 or 5 months ago and it is amazing. I share pretty much all of the streaming services with my Dad and Brother so I am covered for almost anything.

I tell you what I do miss though, I always liked turning on the local news before work in the morning. Mainly just for a quick weather and traffic update. I have been working from home since mid July so that doesn't matter as much anymore. The ease too though of being able to just turn your TV on and stuff is playing instead of having to open YouTube or Netflix or whatever was pretty nice. I could get an antenna but the condo I live in is basically underground where my room is so I doubt the reception would be any good.

Got rid of cable, boosted the internet, I'm golden. Which I will say a word to the wise, if you have old shitty equipment from your cable company, ask for an upgrade if you can. The modem/router we had was the original from when I first got cable in 2012. I think the highest I ever saw was maybe, MAYBE 50mbps, usually in the 20-25mbps area. Granted, I went a level higher but after I cut the cord and that first time I ran a speed test and the needle flew all the way up to 419mbps, I was so happy.

Checkout the app Locast for getting local stations,  to get that local news fix!
    Murderbear
  • If you do the locast thing, you can get rid of the annoying cut-in ads by setting up a recurring donation of $5/month. 
    Murderbear
  • Not to mention the user interface of cable boxes was getting worse (at least for me).   I couldn't find the channels nor shows I wanted to watch easily and always got frustrated.    While I had cable I would go to the HBO app instead to find shows, rather than figure out how to navigate the cable box user interface to find the shows I wanted to watch.

For Better Call Saul I have Philo, not sure if anyone else here uses that service.
    aki said:
    Not to mention the user interface of cable boxes was getting worse (at least for me).   I couldn't find the channels nor shows I wanted to watch easily and always got frustrated.    While I had cable I would go to the HBO app instead to find shows, rather than figure out how to navigate the cable box user interface to find the shows I wanted to watch.

For Better Call Saul I have Philo, not sure if anyone else here uses that service.
    Nice! Thanks for the recommendation on Philo. And you aren't alone with the cable box interface. When I would go visit my parents, I had no clue how to find anything with their Direct TV box. 
  • FreddyFreddy Denton, Texas
    On Amazon shopping former indoor tv antennas as we speak. Wish I could find one that doesn't have at least 5 reviews saying it doesn't work.
  • Freddy said:
    On Amazon shopping former indoor tv antennas as we speak. Wish I could find one that doesn't have at least 5 reviews saying it doesn't work.

In my experience this is dependent on your area which can make the reviews really noisy. You can get an awesome antenna but if you're not close to the towers there isn't much it can do. When I lived in SF proper the antenna had a million channels and it came in extremely cleanly other than occasional hiccups that seemed to change based on how wide I opened my window. When I tried to set the same antenna up at my girlfriends place about 30 miles away, it was hopeless until we found one spot in the room where the network that plays gameshows came in but couldn't get the major channels for more than 30 seconds or so at a time.
  • Use this site: www.antennaweb.org

Plug in your address.  See what channels should be available and what style antenna you would need to pick them up.  At my last house, I could pick up dozens of stations with a simple indoor antenna.  A few dozen more with an amplified indoor omnidirectional.  (Large plastic square style bought for around $20.)  At my new address, I need a large directional w/pre-amp.  This would likely require being mounted on the roof, maybe in the attic.  Considerably more expensive.  I can't get ANYTHING more than 10-20 seconds of Fox with the old antenna.

As someone else recommended, if its available in your area you might try out locast.org.  It's free, non-profit.  There are apps on android, ios, roku, tivo, appletv, and others.  It's not available in all cities.  There are regular cut-ins to request donations that can be removed by making a recurring donation of $5/month.  ($5.50 after processing fees.)  If it's available in your area, it's totally worth it if you want access to the local broadcast stations.  I get around 35 channels on it.  (Antennaweb says I could get 7 channels with the highest range antenna.  
    bizmarkiefadercdriveFreddy
    Yep, I am in the sticks, nothing on Locast or antennaweb. I bought an antenna a year or so ago and had no luck, so I am not surprised. That looks so cool though for people that it is available to. 
  • Pluto TV is a good free streaming app for when you're missing mindless cable channel surfing. The have a bunch of channels, complete with commerical breaks!
    cdrive
  • Teresa from ConcordTeresa from Concord Concord, California
    Got tired of the cable $$$ and bullshit a few years ago. Already had HBO Now, Netflix and Prime. Simply added YouTube TV for $40 a month to get my local news, Chopped, HGTV fix.

Now I need to figure out the best way to play the Internet price/speed scam game. 
    MrX said:
    Pluto TV is a good free streaming app for when you're missing mindless cable channel surfing. The have a bunch of channels, complete with commerical breaks!
    I like Pluto quite a bit. They have a Hell's Kitchen channel. All Hell all the time!
    cdrive
  • kuman07kuman07 Kansas City
    I talked about it for years and I finally cut the cord about 4 or 5 months ago and it is amazing. I share pretty much all of the streaming services with my Dad and Brother so I am covered for almost anything.

Ditto on the internet equipment. I have Comcast and you can check on the app if you're equipment is up to date and if not request the most up to date equipment. Did not cost me anything and just had to return the old equipment, which was easy for me since there are XFinity store around me.
  • kuman07kuman07 Kansas City
    Not sure if anyone does Hulu Live but that is where I get all my local stations. Pretty much just got Hulu Live for the sports but do watch the local news as well.
  • FWIW Youtube TV has gotten way more expensive over the last few years but they did add NFL Redzone which is the one thing I actually missed from having cable. I'm not saving any money with all the streaming services I have vs what we used to pay for cable but at least there's more options I guess?
  • kuman07 said:

Ditto on the internet equipment. I have Comcast and you can check on the app if you're equipment is up to date and if not request the most up to date equipment. Did not cost me anything and just had to return the old equipment, which was easy for me since there are XFinity store around me.

Best option IMO is to buy your own modem and router. More options and eventually will save you money vs. renting from Xfinity.
  • MrX said:
    kuman07 said:

Best option IMO is to buy your own modem and router. More options and eventually will save you money vs. renting from Xfinity.
    Double check their fine print because I thought to do this only to find out I have to pay them for the modem whether I use it or not. When I was signing up for my service I asked the sales person if I could use theirs in the mean time while I shopped for my own and they said I could, but it turns out they lied. 
  • Got tired of the cable $$$ and bullshit a few years ago. Already had HBO Now, Netflix and Prime. Simply added YouTube TV for $40 a month to get my local news, Chopped, HGTV fix.

Now I need to figure out the best way to play the Internet price/speed scam game. 
    I signed up for YoutubeTV for a few months earlier this year.  It was $50/month.  Halfway through the second month they added MTV, Comedy Central, Nickelodeon, and a slew of other channels and hiked the price up to $65/month.  I don't really use the service, it was for my girlfriend.  We happened to split around the time of the price hike, so I can't blame my cancellation on that, but I probably would have cancelled because of it.
    MrX said:
    kuman07 said:

This really depends on your situation.  tl;dr They may force you to use their modem through anti-consumer policies.

Explanation.  When xfinity gigabit came to my old house, I signed up.  I was locked it at $70/month with unlimited bandwidth.  (No caps!)  Plus the $14ish modem rental fee.  After my second modem died in the first year, I decided to purchase my own.  Everything worked fine until I moved.  I called CONcast to move my service.  I asked whether this would effect my grandfathered status of having $70/month service and no data caps.  I was assured several times it would not.  Fast forward to the move.  I plug in my modem at the new house and it won't come up.  I spend 6 hours over 3 days on the phone until they finally send a tech out.  It was a week before they were available.  The tech said all he had to do was hit a button on his laptop to start up the service and it could have been done from the office.  

First month's bill comes and it's >$130.  I call and spend several hours arguing with them about how I was assured my price wouldn't change and I would get to keep unlimited data.  They just kept saying, "I'm sorry you were misinformed."  I asked to speak with a manager, they told me the manager was in a meeting and would call me back.  They never did.  I spent another 6 hours on the phone with support over the next week and the best they could do was $70/month for the service for 2 years, and $50/month for unlimited data  OR $70/month for the service for 2 years and $20/month to rent their premium modem that came with unlimited data.  

Unfortunately, the only options for internet in my neighborhood are Comcast (1 gigabit max speed), AT&T (3mbps max speed), satellite (garbage speed), and cellular (very low data caps).  I'm kind of stuck with them.  I cancelled anyway and waited a few weeks before my roommate signed up for service with them.  

Here's hoping we can get some actual competition in the area and some regulations that actually work for the consumers.

Also, FUCK COMCAST.
    Teresa from Concord
  • A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    I miss sports. So many live sports are exclusively on cable channels now. And yeah, I know there are streams, but they're all shady as shit and unreliable and have weird restrictions. It's really hard to watch your favorite teams unless you live in your fave team's town.
  • calebthrowercalebthrower South Carolina
    I miss sports. So many live sports are exclusively on cable channels now. And yeah, I know there are streams, but they're all shady as shit and unreliable and have weird restrictions. It's really hard to watch your favorite teams unless you live in your fave team's town.
    I agree that this is the worst part of cord cutting. I have managed to find somewhat trustworthy streams that I have been using for 3+ years with no issues, though and have rarely missed anything I wanted to watch from a sports standpoint.
    Got tired of the cable $$$ and bullshit a few years ago. Already had HBO Now, Netflix and Prime. Simply added YouTube TV for $40 a month to get my local news, Chopped, HGTV fix.

I signed up for YoutubeTV for a few months earlier this year.  It was $50/month.  Halfway through the second month they added MTV, Comedy Central, Nickelodeon, and a slew of other channels and hiked the price up to $65/month.  I don't really use the service, it was for my girlfriend.  We happened to split around the time of the price hike, so I can't blame my cancellation on that, but I probably would have cancelled because of it.

So my bf handles the bills from our joint account. I was surprised to hear you say $65 a month. I was SHOCKED when I checked our account and we pay that as well.  That's too much to watch local news and twins swinging a hammer. And I don't even get the Yankee games - which is the only live sport I care about. 

This will be a topic of conversation at dinner tonight.
    JoshTheBlack
  • Sorry @Teresa from Concord.  Or you're welcome.  Whichever is more apt.
    Teresa from Concord
  • I had YoutubeTV at $50 a month as well and it was at the sweet spot where it was more then I should pay for how little I watch live TV, but nice enough to keep. I canceled at the price jump. $15 a month to get the Viacom channels I didn't want when I was barely watching it as it was too much. I got Sling to catch NHL playoffs, it's not nearly as good, but at $30 a month, it's not bad, and I like the option to channel surf. I might go back to Youtube when live shows I care about come back and manage it more carefully turning it off and on as needed.

Most of the football I would want to watch as an out of region fan I get on OTA antennae or would be blacked out even on streaming services.

MLB is great for out of region. You can get the whole season for $100 with MLB TV, and as Red Sox fan in an NL market I hardly get blacked out. Too bad they suck.
  • I miss sports. So many live sports are exclusively on cable channels now. And yeah, I know there are streams, but they're all shady as shit and unreliable and have weird restrictions. It's really hard to watch your favorite teams unless you live in your fave team's town.

What channels are you missing? Youtube TV at least has all the local sports channels here, and Hulu has been running a campaign about how they have sports now so I'm assuming there are options. The only thing I wasn't able to find was Redzone but that's available now as of like two weeks ago.
  • I miss sports. So many live sports are exclusively on cable channels now. And yeah, I know there are streams, but they're all shady as shit and unreliable and have weird restrictions. It's really hard to watch your favorite teams unless you live in your fave team's town.

What channels are you missing? Youtube TV at least has all the local sports channels here, and Hulu has been running a campaign about how they have sports now so I'm assuming there are options. The only thing I wasn't able to find was Redzone but that's available now as of like two weeks ago.

Youtube TV is $65/mo. Hulu with live tv is $55/mo. Add either of those to my internet bill and I'm just about paying the same as I used to for an Xfinity internet+cable bundle (which included HBO).

For football I have an antenna hooked up to an tv tuner that can be used as a dvr by plugging in a usb hard drive. Monday night football is streamed for free in the Yahoo sports app so I'll watch that on the iPad if I'm interested in the game. For the nba playoffs I've found a pretty reliable stream online and cast it to my tv since most of those games are on cable.
  • The trick to making YouTube TV, and really cord cutting in general, a steal is to get a small group of people to share log-ins with. I pay for Criterion Channel, Hulu Plus, and Netflix 4K ($40 a month roughly). I share those logins with a few people in return for their log-ins and I have access to HBO,  Disney Plus, Spotify Premium, YouTube TV, Apple TV+, and Showtime. If you keep your group to three or four people you will almost never run into issues with hitting the simultaneous devices limit.
  • CoryCory New Scotland
    Reading what all you guys get with YouTube TV in the states, anyone know what all comes with it in Canada?
  • Got tired of the cable $$$ and bullshit a few years ago. Already had HBO Now, Netflix and Prime. Simply added YouTube TV for $40 a month to get my local news, Chopped, HGTV fix.

So my bf handles the bills from our joint account. I was surprised to hear you say $65 a month. I was SHOCKED when I checked our account and we pay that as well.  That's too much to watch local news and twins swinging a hammer. And I don't even get the Yankee games - which is the only live sport I care about. 

Twins fan? Where does that come from being you're in Cali, if you don't mind me asking. I'll watch the twins here and there but typically it's on in the background as I'm doing something else. 
    awookiee said:

Twins fan? Where does that come from being you're in Cali, if you don't mind me asking. I'll watch the twins here and there but typically it's on in the background as I'm doing something else. 
    Haha - I was referencing the Property Brothers on HGTV.