Techie Support/Advice Thread

MichelleMichelle California
edited September 2020 in General
So, clearly not all of us here are super techie when it comes to computers, phones, etc.  I thought since a lot of us are though, that we could use a thread where others can post if they questions or need some kind of techie advice.  

I'll start:  I have an iPhone 8+, it's fully updated with the latest iOS release, but I can never get it to save my custom voicemail greeting as the default when people call me.  It always goes back to the standard "Your call has been forwarded to an automated voice messaging system.  At the tone, please record your message. *beep*"   Why won't it save my custom greeting as the default when people call  me?

Comments

• Michelle said:
    So, clearly not all of us here are super techie when it comes to computers, phones, etc.  I thought since a lot of us are though, that we could use a thread where others can post if they questions or need some kind of techie advice.  

I'll start:  I have an iPhone 8+, it's fully updated with the latest iOS release, but I can never get it to save my custom voicemail greeting as the default when people call me.  It always goes back to the standard "Your call has been forwarded to an automated voice messaging system.  At the tone, please record your message. *beep*"   Why won't it save my custom greeting as the default when people call  me?
    My best guess, some issue with your carriers voicemail system.  Are you calling in to record or recording through the voicemail settings? I've been off iphone for 2 years now, so I'm not super well versed in it anymore.  Try calling your own number and following the prompts to set it up.
    Michelle
  • Michelle said:

My best guess, some issue with your carriers voicemail system.  Are you calling in to record or recording through the voicemail settings? I've been off iphone for 2 years now, so I'm not super well versed in it anymore.  Try calling your own number and following the prompts to set it up.
    Recording directly through the phone.  I don't need to call in to any number to pick up voicemail.
    Thanks for the tip though - anything's worth a try.
  • I was going to make a suggestion similar to @JoshTheBlack ; I've got the same phone as you, but my voicemail is done through my carrier (Virgin Mobile).
  • I’m more of a Star Wars guy myself 
    HatorianCretanBullMichelleawookieeNoel
  • Michelle said:
    Michelle said:

Recording directly through the phone.  I don't need to call in to any number to pick up voicemail.
    Thanks for the tip though - anything's worth a try.
    I believe you can still use this method.  When you call your own number, if you get the greeting, you might have to hit *, 0, or # to get prompted for a pin code.  I may be wrong though. 
  • Voicemail?? That exists still? If I call someone and don’t get an answer I just text or WhatsApp them and say “hey I tied calling da da da..”
  • gguenot said:
    No error message, but I see that’s for AT&T.  I’m with Verizon.  Thanks though!  I might give Verizon a call later. :)