Anyone watching Utopia on Prime? (No Spoilers)

I just finished watching Utopia this weekend and did not see a lot of online chatter about it.  What I did see is that people who watched the British version and this one seem to like the orginial better. I was intrigued because Gillian Flynn is the showrunner, and I love her books Sharp Objects and Gone Girl.  

I did not know what to make of it, since I did not know the back story and this world is a bit jarring at first it's dark and there is lots of violence, but once I got used to the pacing, the story is intriguring and sometimes funny.     

I'd love to hear the group's take. 

Comments

• DeeDee Adelaide
    Yeah, the British one was really good. I haven’t seen this one but it just seems unnecessary. 
  • I haven't seen this one or the UK version, but they're putting a ton of money into advertising it because it seems to be everywhere I look.
    Monica
  • JoshTheBlackJoshTheBlack Atlanta, GA
    edited October 21
    I binged it this weekend.  I enjoyed it.  I haven't watched the original series it's based on, but as I understand it, it tells a different story.  

It is pretty bleak, and in all honesty probably a bit irresponsible to release at this point in time.  For those on the fence, I wouldn't say it is a must watch by any stretch.  If you give the first episode a shot and it's not to your liking, you can probably safely skip it.  Definitely by episode 2, you will know if this show is for you.  If you have watched the whole series, (MASSIVE SPOILERS FOR FINAL EPISODE BELOW!)

I don't think a story about a massive conspiracy to use tainted vaccines to sterilize several generations of humans is a very good idea when we are in the middle of a pandemic and hope to be trying to convince 80%+ of the population to take a vaccination within the next year!
    DeeTravis
  • Teresa from ConcordTeresa from Concord Concord, California
    Just finished the season. I really liked it though i have questions about the ending. No spoilers. But would love to hear from others about it. And also curious about the British (original) version.
    edited October 21
    @Teresa from Concord If you'd like to discuss spoilers, you can use the spoiler tags to hide it. 

(square bracket)spoiler(close square bracket)Spoilery text goes here(square bracket)/spoiler(close square bracket)
    It would be nice if there was a button for it.  I have to look it up every time cause I can never remember if its < [ { or (

Spoilery text goes here
  • Teresa from ConcordTeresa from Concord Concord, California
    I couldn’t watch twitch. Did Jim and A_Ron watch it? Like it?
    They watched episode 1.  They didn't seem all to impressed, but both said they would probably give it a few more episodes on their own time.
  • A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    This is an accurate summation of our opinions, haha. It didn't grab me, but it's baseline intriguing enough to give it another go or two.
    Teresa from ConcordBlindfolded
  • edited October 22
    I'm about halfway through.   It's not terrible, but I can't really get into it.  Lot's of weird tonal shifts, like it doesn't know which way it wants to go.  The characters feel scripted and make a lot of odd decisions and actions.  I'm going to finish it, but I can't say I'm blown away.
    JoshTheBlack
  • I found this show intriguing and engaging, but I have a number of complaints.  As mentioned above, there are a lot of tonal shifts that I find off-putting.  Breaking Bad did a great job of injecting bits of humor to break up tension, but Utopia doesn't seem to know if it is an over the top action comedy, or a gritty/dark reflection of a bleak society.

I would say that overall I liked it, but I think they could have done a little better at just thinking through some of the scenes to determine if they make sense.  For example, having one guy running a bunch of twitter bots makes way more sense than having an ultra hip office full of Gen Z-ers just waiting to take be unleashed on twitter.  Also, pretty much everything about the warehouse scene. The more I think about this the more scenes that just don't make sense.
    Blindfoldedwell_yes_but_also_no
  • RayRay New York
    The UK version is far better IMHO. May not go beyond the first ep of the US version (watching the watch party now). 
    well_yes_but_also_no
  • I'm halfway through the UK version and it's so much more impressive. Visually it's really well put together, and the characters feel more real and grounded. While it still involves a graphic novel, it doesn't feel like a comic book or cartoon the way the US version does.

Characters are not edgy just for the sake of it, and all of the characters are somewhat toned down, ie less dramatic and over the top compared to the US version. The plot is also more grounded and believable so far, and instead of dancing around it the show basically spells out the entire thing by the second or third episode.

It's also got kind of an understated, offbeat, indie vibe that I really like. Just my two cents.
    Dee