Halloween 2020

rhcooprhcoop Knoxville, Tn
Halloween is my favorite holiday so I thought I'd start a topic for this year. 

1. What scary movies are you going to watch this year? What are your favorites you watch every year?  What are the new ones you are excited for? 

2. Who has the best decorated place in the bald move family?  I'd love to see some pics of everyone's decorations.  I love seeing different things. 

3. Who is going to do something cool for Halloween this year?  We may go to Waverly Hills Sanitarium this year for a night.   Anyone else doing anything cool? 

calebthrower

Comments

• MichelleMichelle California
    I don't normally get large amounts of kids coming by each year, although last year I had more than the year before.
    I think this year I'll just turn out the lights and watch The VVitch or something.  Decorations-wise, I don't do a lot.  I go all in on Christmas though.

For people with kids, I read a really cool idea for an alternative way for your kids to enjoy Halloween without going trick or treating.  That day, make lots of yummy treats (popcorn balls, candied apples, etc, whatever).   Kids still dress up in costume as whatever they want to be.  Another parent/family member/friend takes them out somewhere and while they're gone, whoever stays behind at home hides candy all over the house/yard.  So when the kids get back, they get to go on a candy hunt (like an easter egg hunt).  Then that night, watch fun movies with them and enjoy all the snacks.  :)
    rhcoopcalebthrowerChinaskihisdudeness915Noel
  • calebthrowercalebthrower South Carolina
    edited September 29
    rhcoop said:

1. What scary movies are you going to watch this year? What are your favorites you watch every year?  What are the new ones you are excited for? 

2. Who has the best decorated place in the bald move family?  I'd love to see some pics of everyone's decorations.  I love seeing different things. 

3. Who is going to do something cool for Halloween this year?  We may go to Waverly Hills Sanitarium this year for a night.   Anyone else doing anything cool? 

1. My wife and I usually start watching scary movies on Friday nights beginning in mid-September. We usually catch up on the previous years horror movies as well as some classics one or neither of us have seen. I know we have Midsommer, Scream 2, and School Spirit planned so far. We got a late start this year on the movies, though, because we've been watching Lovecraft Country, which I guess is horror in it's own way. I'd love suggestions.

2. Our decorations include spider webs on the bushes out front, a Hocus Pocus banner framing our front door, pumpkins that we will carver closer to Halloween, and bats and witches hats. We also have two inflatables my sons loves. Inside, we have ghost lights in the living room along with some Halloween themed picture we put in the frames in the living room. Picture below of the inflatables. Ill try and snap a few more pictures of the decorations as I think of it.

3. Because of, you know...everything....we are not going to do traditional Trick-or-treating. Instead, some neighborhood families are doing a walk by trick-or-treat around the pond behind our houses. Each family is going to set up a table with treats and decorations. We will take turns going to each families table on a rotation  to see how they decorated it as well as letting the kids get some candy. We also may do a costume contest (where every kid will get something) so they can show off their costume. My family is going as Daniel Tiger's Neighborhood. My son (who is creeping on the steps on the pic below lol) is Daniel, I'm Mr. Rogers, and my wife is going as Lady Aberlin..so it is really a mix of the two shows.  That's the best plan we could come up with that let's the kids have fun will still following Covid protocol. Kind of a bummer but at least we get to do something. 

MichellerhcoopNoel
  • CoryCory New Scotland
    edited September 29
    Michelle said:
    I don't normally get large amounts of kids coming by each year, although last year I had more than the year before.
    I think this year I'll just turn out the lights and watch The VVitch or something.  Decorations-wise, I don't do a lot.  I go all in on Christmas though.
    I haven't had a single trick or treater in the 2 years since I moved into this house.  I don't have to work that weekend, but I'll probably watch some TV or something.
    Michelle
  • calebthrowercalebthrower South Carolina
    Michelle said:

For people with kids, I read a really cool idea for an alternative way for your kids to enjoy Halloween without going trick or treating.  That day, make lots of yummy treats (popcorn balls, candied apples, etc, whatever).   Kids still dress up in costume as whatever they want to be.  Another parent/family member/friend takes them out somewhere and while they're gone, whoever stays behind at home hides candy all over the house/yard.  So when the kids get back, they get to go on a candy hunt (like an easter egg hunt).  Then that night, watch fun movies with them and enjoy all the snacks.  :)
    That's a great idea!
    Michelle
  • Teresa from ConcordTeresa from Concord Concord, California
    I haven't had a trick or treater since moving to Concord. My house is a bit out of the way, up a long, hilly driveway, and guessing not worth the effort. I don't blame them.

I normally decorate for fall but haven't taken a single thing out this year. Between Covid, social distancing, no friends or family coming over, and the house in a bit of disarray because we're redoing the fireplace, I don't see the point.  

But I do plan to put up the Xmas tree in December if for no other reason then to remind me this hellish year is almost over.
    Michelle
  • ChinaskiChinaski Santa Cruz, CA
    i live in a court that's in trick or treating central in my area. we seriously go through over 1000 pieces of candy a year. we also hand out glow sticks and whistles for safety and for kids that may have food allergies. from around 5pm-8pm there has to be someone on the porch cause it gets packed and lines start forming. this year is going to be much different for obvious reasons so we'll be saving some money.
    MichelleNoel
  • rhcooprhcoop Knoxville, Tn
    We are putting our Halloween decorations out this week.  We typically don't have any trick or treaters either, but we decorate as much or more for Halloween than Christmas.  We are that house for all holiday decorations in our neighborhood so I don't want to ruin my street cred. 

We got a professional grade fog machine this year so I'm excited to use that guy outside with our other decorations on the weekends leading up to and on Halloween. 

My 14 year old niece is really into scary movies now so she asked me to compile her with a good list.  I made the list yesterday so that has me pumped for some new stuff like the Netflix sequel to the Haunting of Hill House and old classics like the OG Halloween and Texas Chainsaw Massacre. 

We have a local haunted house place that is pretty solid so we'll be hitting that up as well.  The pilgrimage up to Waverly Hills Sanitorium may be the highlight this Halloween season.  It's supposed to be really creepy. 
    Michelle
    Are haunted houses still a thing this year?
  • CoryCory New Scotland
    Michelle said:
    Canceled here
    Michelle
    Michelle said:
    WFO here in Knoxville.  They have a whole list of procedures they have to follow, but they are open. 
    Michelle
  • CoryCory New Scotland
    rhcoop said:

I don't know that it constitutes as scary, but I usually watch Donnie Darko around Halloween.
    Corykingbee67Hatorianhisdudeness915
  • kingbee67kingbee67 Los Angeles Ca.
    edited October 1
    I don’t know what the deal is here but we’ll be fully stocked with candy.
    Michelle
  • We’re taking the kids somewhere and all going as Crayons. Should be fun
    Michelle
    We FINALLY got our outside decorations up. 
    CoryTeresa from ConcordcdrivecalebthrowerMichelleHatorian