First series you bought on DVD

CoryCory New Scotland
edited September 29 in Other TV
What's the first series you bought on DVD/Blu-Ray?

I remember dropping nearly $300 for the first seasons of Buffy around 2002-2003.
Travis

Comments

• MichelleMichelle California
    Friends.
    Shocker, I know. :sweat_smile:
    Travis
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    I think probably Twin Peaks, because as far as I can remember that’s the only TV series I’ve ever bought on DVD. 
    Travis
  • ChinaskiChinaski Santa Cruz, CA
    Six Feet Under. still have it for the packaging alone.
    Eine FrauTravis
  • CoryCory New Scotland
    Chinaski said:
    I'm still waiting for the blu-ray release for that.

The season 4 premiere still haunts me.
  • CoryCory New Scotland
    Dee said:
    I think probably Twin Peaks, because as far as I can remember that’s the only TV series I’ve ever bought on DVD. 
    Pretty sure I bought that, and never opened it.  I've seen the series, but never Fire Walk With Me, or The Missing pieces.

I'll absolutely never re-watch The Return, though.
    Dee
    You know who had the best packaging for their seasons?
    Northern Exposure.
    Those little puffy vests were so cute!
    Chinaski
  • CoryCory New Scotland
    edited September 29
    Michelle said:
    You know who had the best packaging for their seasons?
    Northern Exposure.
    Those little puffy vests were so cute!
    These?

Northern Exposure DVD - Moosechick Notes

northern exposure jacket dvd packaging If you want to customize a  good-looking DVD packaging visit wwwunifiedmanfuacturingcom  Dvd  packaging Packaging Dvd
    ^^^ Yes!  :)
    I always thought they were supposed to be like vests.
    Were they more like a sleeping bag though?
    Cory
  • CoryCory New Scotland
    Michelle said:
    ^^^ Yes!  :)
    I always thought they were supposed to be like vests.
    Were they more like a sleeping bag though?
    Could go either way.
    I never saw them before, but they're cool/unique.
  • I... uh... my friend had one too many one night and bought DVDs of the first 17 seasons of The Simpsons on Amazon.
    CoryDee
    Northern Exposure packaging was awesome. i always figured they were vests too cause it's brrrrrr cold in Alaska.
    Michelle
  • jluzaniajluzania Denver
    edited September 29
    I believe it was Firefly's first (and only) season. One of the few blind buys I've made.
  • Also Buffy, but way after the show was over. First contemporary box set was the LOST temple. Such a cool idea. It had clues scattered throughout that led to a secret bonus disk hidden in the lid. It also had a senet board with black and white stones, and throwing sticks that were used as primitive dice.
    Michelle
  • Garthgou81Garthgou81 Placerville, CA
    Chinaski said:
    Did you get the complete series set? That astro-turf set was great. I can't wait for the blu-rays, if those ever come around. 
    The first series I probably bought was The X-Files. Before that I had VHSs that were just the "best of" episodes. So it blew my mind to be able to have the full season. They were some astronomical price, but for 20+ episodes, it definitely seemed worth it. 
    CoryChinaski
  • CoryCory New Scotland
    Shum said:
    Also Buffy, but way after the show was over. First contemporary box set was the LOST temple. Such a cool idea. It had clues scattered throughout that led to a secret bonus disk hidden in the lid. It also had a senet board with black and white stones, and throwing sticks that were used as primitive dice.
    That's really cool.  I'll probably never watch Lost, let along buy the boxset, but that's probably the coolest sounding boxset yet.

My BrBa barrel set had a bonus disc, but I don't remember if it was really hidden or not.
  • CoryCory New Scotland
    Chinaski said:
    Did you get the complete series set? That astro-turf set was great. I can't wait for the blu-rays, if those ever come around. 
    The first series I probably bought was The X-Files. Before that I had VHSs that were just the "best of" episodes. So it blew my mind to be able to have the full season. They were some astronomical price, but for 20+ episodes, it definitely seemed worth it. 
    I avoided the VHS sets, I thought Buffy's complete seasons were released on VHS, but they were broken up into 2 episodes per VHS, and 3 VHS's packaged together.  And no store seemed to have an entire series, plus I was a teenager, so it was never going to happen.

I too, thought it was great being able to own an entire season.  And spent a small fortune buying the new Buffy/Angel season sets every few months, while the shows were still airing.
  • We would save up our allowance to buy Dragon Ball Z on VHS when it would be ahead of whatever was airing on Toonami. Since each one only had three episodes (these things cost 20+ dollars each) on it my friend ended up with almost two entire shelves of a pretty big bookcase just full of DBZ tapes.
    Cory
    Chinaski said:
    Did you get the complete series set? That astro-turf set was great. I can't wait for the
    yep! i actually have it more of a decoration now in my cube at work.
  • I feel like it has to be The X-Files. I remember how annoying it was that the videos only had a handful of highlighted episodes and being really excited that the whole season was available. Not 100% certain, but I'll lock it in.
    one of the first DVD's i ever bought was The Great Outdoors. i know, #random. carry on..
    Travis
  • CoryCory New Scotland
    Chinaski said:
    This one?  I like learning about unique sets.

ChinaskiTravis
    Cory said:
    Chinaski said:

yes sir, that's the one!

Cory
    Shum said:
    Also Buffy, but way after the show was over. First contemporary box set was the LOST temple. Such a cool idea. It had clues scattered throughout that led to a secret bonus disk hidden in the lid. It also had a senet board with black and white stones, and throwing sticks that were used as primitive dice.
    I wanted that Lost set so bad!  I was never able to get one, though.
  • Simpson’s Seasons 1-3
    Chinaski said:
    Cory said:
    Chinaski said:

yes sir, that's the one!

I love mine. And worry that if they put out a blu-ray set it will not have nearly the amount of style that that one does. 
    CoryChinaski
    edited September 30
    Chinaski said:
    Cory said:
    Chinaski said:

yes sir, that's the one!

I love mine. And worry that if they put out a blu-ray set it will not have nearly the amount of style that that one does. 
    i'd be ok if it was Claire's lime green funeral coach with all the seasons in the back of it. that'd be kinda rad.
    Chinaski said:
    Chinaski said:
    Cory said:
    Chinaski said:

yes sir, that's the one!

i'd be ok if it was Claire's lime green funeral coach with all the seasons in the back of it. that'd be kinda rad.
    That would be pretty awesome, and really bring things full circle. 
  • edited October 5
    I'm pretty sure the 1st TV series I bought was Firefly on DVD.  I've since upgraded to Blu Ray. I've always been a huge physical media person but I own very few TV series.  I have to really like a TV series (Leftovers, GOT, Expanse...) to buy it these days.  Movies on the other hand is another beast for me.  I'm the go to guy when somebody wants to watch a movie that's not on a streaming service.