Expanse Season 5 (Show only spoilers!)

1235»

Comments

• Hi my baldmove crews (no ownership implied, just how my 12-year old refers to you all ;) ). After watching the finale with an Expanse Pool (props to my hubby for predicting closest what would happen in Nemesis!), it's been confirmed that the writers are way smarter than I am. Not to say that it's perfect, but they are constantly surprising me with the direction of the characters - and yet in hindsight, it all seems to fit their individual arcs and motivations so well!

Marco is facsinating! You mentioned in your last cast that he seemed impressed with Filip. I read it slightly differently. I think he's impressed, but because of that also threatened. Filip at once has closed his emotions off from Marco making him more difficult to manipulate and, while Marco was having a useless tantrum, Filip was cool and objective, showing Marco up. I think Marco recognizes this and what we saw in Marco was surprise and confusion on how to maintain the upper hand with his son. I worry for Filip. Like Cyn who turned his chair away from Naomi and so was sacrificed by her to save her true family, I think Filip's missed his opportunity to redeem himself and so will end up killed in the onslaught of Season 6. However, as the Pool proved, these writers outmanouever my predictions at every turn.

Keep up the great work and thanks for keeping me somewhat on top of the characters, ships, stratetgies, technology and physics. You guys are the best!
    bror.00bizmarkiefaderEine FrauElisa
  • Also, if the energy forces we saw going over the martians at the end of the finale are the ones who wiped out the Builders and the new bad for Season 6, does this mean that the protomolecule may have been trying to turn something on that would have fought back...meaning that Miller sacrificing himself to stop them was potentially actually harmful to humankind? Nooooo! 
  • I haven't read all this thread yet, but I just finished the season and I have to say...that Alex death was such a wet fart for me.  I get it, Cas Anvar and his bullshit put them in a terrible situation, but his death came almost out of nowhere, the rest of his crew mates seemed to barely care, and finally, they had a perfect way to kill him off with the trap set for anyone that came near Naomi.  

Going into this season I already felt my hype deflate about a million percent due to the Cas Anvar stuff as well as next season being the potential final season when more books were still yet to be adapted.  And hell, I even WANTED them to kill off Alex knowing that recasting him would just be weird as hell, especially for only a single season.  But to see how they handled his death so matter-of-factly and free from almost all drama and foreshadowing...just goddamn weird.

There was some great stuff this season, but I come away completely bummed.  Anyone else feeling this?  Am I alone?  Am I going (protomolecule) crazy?!? <span>:open_mouth:</span>
  • Toadie said:
    I haven't read all this thread yet, but I just finished the season and I have to say...that Alex death was such a wet fart for me.  I get it, Cas Anvar and his bullshit put them in a terrible situation, but his death came almost out of nowhere, the rest of his crew mates seemed to barely care, and finally, they had a perfect way to kill him off with the trap set for anyone that came near Naomi.  

Going into this season I already felt my hype deflate about a million percent due to the Cas Anvar stuff as well as next season being the potential final season when more books were still yet to be adapted.  And hell, I even WANTED them to kill off Alex knowing that recasting him would just be weird as hell, especially for only a single season.  But to see how they handled his death so matter-of-factly and free from almost all drama and foreshadowing...just goddamn weird.

There was some great stuff this season, but I come away completely bummed.  Anyone else feeling this?  Am I alone?  Am I going (protomolecule) crazy?!? <span>:open_mouth:</span>

I didn't mind it so much. They had shot most of the season before the Cas Anvar shit came out. So considering what they had to work (re-shoots, creative edits) with I can live with it. Ideal? No. Season ruining? Nah.
    CoryGiovanniElisa
  • Teresa from ConcordTeresa from Concord Concord, California
    Did I miss anyone explaining the post credit scene? Is it a protomolecule ship of some kind? 
  • edited February 10
    Did I miss anyone explaining the post credit scene? Is it a protomolecule ship of some kind? 
    Any detailed explanation would involve book spoilers... so I don't think it was discussed in depth on the podcast.
  • Did I miss anyone explaining the post credit scene? Is it a protomolecule ship of some kind? 
    It's an alien structure remand from the Ring builders in orbit. It's why the Breakaway Martian went to Laconia. This video from Alt shift X also explains it in this video.
    Elisa
  • Some nice bloopers from season 5 that Amazon has posted:

Peepsawookiee
  • Doctor_NickDoctor_Nick Terminus
    It's pretty unfortunate Alex had to go out like that, especially when we got to spend so much time with Clarissa "Who Cares" Mao.  I guess recasting would have been too hard.  
  • It's pretty unfortunate Alex had to go out like that, especially when we got to spend so much time with Clarissa "Who Cares" Mao.  I guess recasting would have been too hard.  
    Recasting would've been inconvenient for a show heading into its final season (my guess anyway), as well as Alex being the most replaceable character out of the core four
    blacksunrise7
  • Doctor_NickDoctor_Nick Terminus
    edited March 7
    I’m working my way through the podcasts and I don’t know if they address it yet in their discussion of Episode 8, but why was their oxygen on the Chetzemoka for Naomi to be able to use at all?  Seems like a waste of resources. 
  • I’m working my way through the podcasts and I don’t know if they address it yet in their discussion of Episode 8, but why was their oxygen on the Chetzemoka for Naomi to be able to use at all?  Seems like a waste of resources. 

I think whatever oxygen in there was just what was left over - they stripped out all the systems including environmental. Not a lot but enough for one person for a while. She was keeping track of all of her trips in between the hulls because each time she went out some of the oxygen escaped.