Can't Login to the Forums?

Comments

• ChinaskiChinaski Santa Cruz, CA
    Anyone find the site is super slow again? I use an iPhone 12. Haven’t checked using my computer. 
    i noticed that yesterday (and today). when opening threads and or posting. this is on my macbook pro.
    DrCynPiz
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    Yeah it’s been super slow for me and this morning I even got a 504 gateway error :-(
  • JoshTheBlackJoshTheBlack Atlanta, GA
    Updating with more info:

Still can't login on chrome (desktop, Win10 and Ubuntu).  Can on chrome (mobile), firefox (desktop, Win10 and Ubuntu) and Edge (chromium desktop version, Win10).

Chrome version: Version 88.0.4324.182 (Official Build) (64-bit)
    Firefox version: 86.0 64-bit (Mozilla Firefox for Ubuntu canonical-1.0)

Also @Teresa from Concord Yes.  Snails pace on desktop.

• Garthgou81Garthgou81 Placerville, CA
    Yeah, tortoise-level slow, but I am just happy to be able to get on from my browser again. 
  • I also can not log in on Chrome on my laptop. It just keeps kicking me back to the baldmove home page. Successfully logged in on Edge tho. 
  • Works on iPad (Safari). Not on laptop (Chrome). 
  • Add me to the list of having login issues. I usually am just on my phone for the forums, today I tried to login through my laptop browser (chrome) where I hadn't logged in a long time, and I just get redirected to baldmove.com everytime I login and when I go to back the forums still not logged in. 
  • MrX said:
    Add me to the list of having login issues. I usually am just on my phone for the forums, today I tried to login through my laptop browser (chrome) where I hadn't logged in a long time, and I just get redirected to baldmove.com everytime I login and when I go to back the forums still not logged in. 
    I'm typically on my phone as well but the other day I loaded it up and was logged out and can't get back into the forums.  Laptop worked just fine though so at least I've got access somehow.  I feel bad for the guys' because this is something completely out of their control and I know they've gone to great lengths trying to get it fixed.  
  • MrX said:
    Add me to the list of having login issues. I usually am just on my phone for the forums, today I tried to login through my laptop browser (chrome) where I hadn't logged in a long time, and I just get redirected to baldmove.com everytime I login and when I go to back the forums still not logged in. 
    Ditto - phone, okay - laptop, okay last Friday, not okay today.
    edited March 2021
    Well, it seems mostly related to Chrome.  I did some searching for vanillaforums+chrome+login+not+working.  Nothing recent that I could find.  It's gotta be an issue between their SSO and Chrome.  Probably something Chrome changed internally that has stopped recognizing whatever method their SSO is using to tell VF that they are logged in. 

I am by no means an expert with this stuff, but a quick check in devtools to inspect the response headers on the forums shows that the cookie (in Chrome) is set to "Vanilla=deleted; expires="...
    My guess is Chrome is not setting the cookie for the forum url properly.  I could be way off base though.

Is anybody experiencing issues in anything OTHER than Chrome?
  • Teresa from ConcordTeresa from Concord Concord, California
    And lately it seems Chrome has updates weekly. 
  • Moved to Edge.

I am officially edging.
  • MichelleMichelle California
    edited March 2021
    MrX said:
    The same thing is happening to me now also.  I can log into the site, but when I click into the forums it logs me out.  iOS is no problem though.

Edit: this was on Chrome.  I can get in using Edge though.
  • CoryCory New Scotland
    I've had zero problems signing in on anything, desktop, phone  99% of the time on Chrome. 

Just thought I'd mention it, for what it's worth.

Of course that could change tomorrow from the sounds.

• Well, it seems mostly related to Chrome.  I did some searching for vanillaforums+chrome+login+not+working.  Nothing recent that I could find.  It's gotta be an issue between their SSO and Chrome.  Probably something Chrome changed internally that has stopped recognizing whatever method their SSO is using to tell VF that they are logged in. 

I am by no means an expert with this stuff, but a quick check in devtools to inspect the response headers on the forums shows that the cookie (in Chrome) is set to "Vanilla=deleted; expires="...
    My guess is Chrome is not setting the cookie for the forum url properly.  I could be way off base though.

aha, I tested on Firefox and Edge and both worked on my computer (Chrome still doesn't), so that definitely seems to be the issue. Chrome on my Google Pixel still works, but I don't want to try logging out there to see if I can get back in!
    tom_g said:
    Moved to Edge.

I am officially edging.
    Gross.  Not the innuendo, that's funny. The browser. (To be fair, I haven't spent more than 3 minutes in it since they moved to chromium.)

MrX said:
    Well, it seems mostly related to Chrome.  I did some searching for vanillaforums+chrome+login+not+working.  Nothing recent that I could find.  It's gotta be an issue between their SSO and Chrome.  Probably something Chrome changed internally that has stopped recognizing whatever method their SSO is using to tell VF that they are logged in. 

aha, I tested on Firefox and Edge and both worked on my computer (Chrome still doesn't), so that definitely seems to be the issue. Chrome on my Google Pixel still works, but I don't want to try logging out there to see if I can get back in!
    I have the Pixel 5 and have been able to log in on chrome there fwiw.

• tom_g said:
    Moved to Edge.

I am officially edging.
    Gross.  Not the innuendo, that's funny. The browser. (To be fair, I haven't spent more than 3 minutes in it since they moved to chromium.)

MrX said:

I have the Pixel 5 and have been able to log in on chrome there fwiw.

I'm on a Pixel 3 and last week got signed out in Chrome somehow, and I haven't been able to sign back in. So I downloaded Firefox for Android just to be able to login to the forums, lol.

Teresa from ConcordMichelle
  • I now can’t log in on chrome on my pc but can on chrome on my iPhone. 
  • CoryCory New Scotland
    It's happened, I cannot log in on Chrome in my desktop, or my old phone.
  • edited April 2021
    Cory said:
    It's happened, I cannot log in on Chrome in my desktop, or my old phone.
    I could not login on phone or chrome either . I tried edge too - no dice until I had to change one setting. For some reason, the browser flagging the site as "Not Secure" so 'Tracking Prevention" was stopping my login. I had to right click the lock symbolnext to the baldmove site in the address bar and turn the tracking prevention off.

Then I tried that over in Chrome and Voila!! It worked. there i had to go into the site settings and "allow" "insecure content"
    Nope,,,,no chrome now 
    it is running quite slow on both platforms.

• Chrome has stopped on my phone but Opera still logging in
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    Has anyone had this happen? My membership was renewed last week, and I’m still in the forum as a supporter and mod etc, but on the BM website it says my subscription has expired, and the firehose feed won’t let me download new episodes - I get an error. I’ve tried deleting it and re-subscribing but no change. I’ve messaged @Jim to see if he can do anything but just curious to see if it’s just me or others too. 

• I can log back in on chrome for iPhone, but still can’t on chrome for pc
  • A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    Hey, here's a fun update, *I* can't log into the forums from my phone now. Still can on PC. What a mess.
    Coryblue_sleeve
  • Teresa from ConcordTeresa from Concord Concord, California
    Because I can't log in with Chrome I used Safari. But Safari gave me a message that this website has been compromised and I should change my password. Anyone else get that?
  • edited May 2021
    I ended up downloading firefox on my phone specifically to use for Baldmove. I was using my laptop on and off for a bit but I only fire up my personal laptop a couple days a week and I wasn't getting my Baldmove fix with that. Been working good so far through firefox on the phone.
  • ChinaskiChinaski Santa Cruz, CA
    i use firefox on my laptop and safari on my phone. no issues to report for me (knock on wood). 
  • CoryCory New Scotland
    Is anybody having issues in any browser that is NOT chrome?

Can we get some folks to post their Chrome version (Menu > Help > About Google Chrome on desktop; Menu > Settings > About on mobile) and whether they are able to successfully log in currently using it?

I'm on Version 90.0.4430.85 on Ubuntu, 90.0.4430.91 on android.  Can't log in on either.

Version 90.0.4430.93 (Official Build) (64-bit)
    Is anybody having issues in any browser that is NOT chrome?

Can we get some folks to post their Chrome version (Menu > Help > About Google Chrome on desktop; Menu > Settings > About on mobile) and whether they are able to successfully log in currently using it?

I'm on Version 90.0.4430.85 on Ubuntu, 90.0.4430.91 on android.  Can't log in on either.

EDIT:  I downgraded Chrome to v 81.0.4044.113 (shot in the dark older version) and was able to log in properly without issue.  I'm gonna play around with different versions and see what happens.  Maybe if I find which version breaks it, it will provide better info on what to look for as a solution.

EDIT2:  It quits allowing log in with version 89.0.4389.90 for me on Ubuntu.  I dug around in the development log of changes and found some possible leads.  On the current version, I am able to reliably* (3 times in a row so far) log in by changing one of the developer flags.  Can anybody else who can't log in try this on desktop and see if they can log in?

Type "chrome://flags/#schemeful-same-site" in to the address bar.
    Set the "Schemeful Same-Site" flag to disabled.
    It will tell you to reload, so press the reload button.
    Try to log in.

If that is a reliable solution, it would seem @Jim and @A_Ron_Hubbard could look in to setting up the forums with SSL, possibly with the same certificate as the main site is hosted?  It is out of my realm of knowledge, but this flag appears to control how Chrome calculates same-siteness.  From skimming, it looks like with it enabled, it considers http and https different sites when it is enabled, and the same site when disabled.  
    Since the forums are hosted without SSL (and when trying to browse via SSL, the certificate is invalid being self-signed by plesk) I think this probably causes the break in how chrome now designates same-siteness for cookies. 

Can we get a few people to test this?
    Worked for me on mobile too! (Android)
    mmmlemoncakes
  • I think you got it, ran into a similar chrome issue at work a few months back with some sites that were on sub domains.

Would have to dig thru some change logs as I didn't fix it - from what I recall it was a combo of the SSL cert and how the cookie set a same-site attribute. 
    JoshTheBlack