Spooktacular Vol. 4? / Scary shit to watch in Oct.

cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
edited October 8 in General
Sadly, I think Spooktacular Vol. 4 got 86'd by 2020.  Maybe not but probably so.  Understandable, but man... I was a big fan.  Big big fan.  Really loved the campy "Are you Afraid of the Dark" couple / group dynamic.

But so I'm curious what everyone is watching, or has plans to watch during this spooky month of October.  If y'all could post them here and hopefully I could discover some new stuff that missed my radar, and get new ideas!

Here is what's in my 99 cent plastic pumpkin for October:

The Third Day
Fuck this is sooo good! I've started to listen to J&A's OTC podcast and they seem largely impressed by it too.  I've never seen such an accurate representation of an LSD trip.  Hope that's not too much of a spoiler really.  But totally reminded me of when ...ugh...a friend of mine, yeah a friend that's right, one time tripped and watched Princess Mononoke and then walked on a moonlit night from one person's efficiency down a wooded street to another person's efficiency.  I've watched all 4 episodes and it's great.  Also I recognize the island from that movie The Woman in Black starring Harry Potter.

Nurse Ratched
Haha man this show is so gross.  I'm not one for too much gore so I'm getting a little squeamish.  But man Ryan Murphy sure likes to push that gore all up in your grill.  I'm having lots of fun with this one too.  Set and costume are off the charts.     

His House
Comes out I think on Halloween Eve.  Google the trailer.  Looks pretty damn good!

Monsterland
Wow, these are not the monsters I was looking for.  This shit is dark and bleak.  I'm 3 episodes in and I haven't gotten pissed off at it yet.  It's an anthology and apparently there are hits and misses.  No misses for me yet.  Just calling balls and strikes here but the 1st 3, while not amazing, were fairly decent. I don't think I've come across one of these purported stinkers yet.

Antebellum
I want to watch this, but I'm not sure when it will be that I want to "$20 to rent" level of watch this yet...if that makes any sense.  Has to be a Saturday night when everyone is on the same frequency.  Looks like Get Out Pt. 2 or like a fly in the web kind of story.

Wickerman
I bought it for 9 bucks. I'm 30 minutes in.  I have never seen this Folk Horror classic.  I wanted to watch this for some background before getting into Third Day.  Also I loved Midsommar which sorta got me looking into this 'folk horror' genre.  

ChinaskiCecily

Comments

• CecilyCecily Cincinnati
    We are definitely doing Spooktacular this year! However we're moving it over to the Swizzbold network because I'm not with Bald Move anymore. It'll probably be only one volume this year as well. So keep the suggestions coming! We'll have further announcements with more details SOOOOON
    cdrivePeepsChinaskiawookiee
  • cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
    Cecily said:
    We are definitely doing Spooktacular this year! However we're moving it over to the Swizzbold network because I'm not with Bald Move anymore. It'll probably be only one volume this year as well. So keep the suggestions coming! We'll have further announcements with more details SOOOOON
    YUSSSS!!!!!!!!!   Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!

Chinaski
  • CecilyCecily Cincinnati
    I created a Swizzbold thread on Reddit for everyone to share your recs!

https://www.reddit.com/r/swizzbold/comments/j814np/cinema_spooktacular_2020/
    cdrive
  • Hubie Halloween started off promising but then fell apart about 15 minutes in
  • Hatorian said:
    Hubie Halloween started off promising but then fell apart about 15 minutes in
    Is that when Sandler ran into one of his 15 best friends that are in the movie, and they just dropped the whole movie and started hanging out? 
    Hatorian
  • jluzaniajluzania Denver
    edited October 11
    So far, I've dedicated October to catching up on old scary TV that I've been meaning to watch.
    Finished Les Revenants/The Returned, which was nice and moody.

Currently watching In the Flesh on Hulu. Two episodes in and it's good.

Then it'll be The Terror: Infamy.

And finally, since there are only 27 total episodes, I'll finally watch Penny Dreadful. Three more weeks to get it all watched!
    Dee
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    @jluzania I loved S1 of Les Revenants so much. I didn’t know anything about it going in, I was just told to watch it, and it was amazing. I remember it took years for S2 to come out and I was busting. It wasn’t as good as S1, though, so a bit of a letdown. It was good, but not I’ve-waited-three-years-for-this good. 

In The Flesh is SO good. My daughter and I watched it together when it was on TV and we both loved it - it’s very emotional at times, but can also be quite funny. Really under-rated entry in the zombie genre. 
    jluzaniacalebthrower
  • I'm really enjoying To The Lake on Netflix. It's a bit like first two seasons of The Walking Dead, but set in Moscow Russia vs Atlanta GA. There's a love triangle, a Hershel type character, alcoholism, etc. The characters behave as you'd expect and nobody (so far) makes stupidly dangerous decisions just for the artificial drama. I like all the characters and am only on episode 3. Worth checking out!
    gguenot
  • The Fades was a BBC show from 2011 that I really enjoyed. Kid sees dead spirits who wreak havoc in the real world.