New TV Advice

ChinaskiChinaski Santa Cruz, CA
all the other TV recomendation threads i could find were closed so starting a new one.

anyways, so I'm looking to get a new '65 inch TV. any recommendations? mainly for watching tv, movies, sports, and Madden on xbox. just came across an article on how the price on this went down quite a bit. any good?

cdrive

Comments

• Nice price for a 65", but it is mid-range so the are going to be tradeoffs. Mainly it won't have local dimming (makes dark scenes way better) and maybe some refresh rate issues for gaming. For that price range looks like rtings.com recommends maybe saving some money and going the TCL route:

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/sony/x750h

As far as Sony I've had one for 3 years and love it. I've been happy with the built in Android tv platform. Mine is the 900 series (not the current version) which does have local dimming ... But it costs a few hundred more. Depends how picky you are with picture quality stuff off it's worth the $$.
    ChinaskiCretanBull
  • edited October 9
    Not sure what you are looking at spending but I 100% recommend doing your research on different tv models through www.Rtings.com and look and read and try to weigh the parts that are important to you. 

They might not have the Sony/Samsung/LG names but TCL and Vizio have some extremely good TVs especially for the money. Lots of their "high end" TVs are cheaper than Sony/Samsung/LG mid tiers and the TCL and Vizio have better ratings. 

I'll be honest I've always spoiled myself with TVs so my personal experience with TVs in the past 5+ years has solely been in OLED TVs so I can only recommend based on reviews on Rtings.com

I guess my 1st question is what 4k content are you going to be watching? Are you upgrading to a 4k Blu Ray player and buying 4k Blu Ray disks or just streaming 4k content through streaming services like Netflix and Amazon Prime?
    Chinaski
  • I’m in the market for the same and ideally would get one before the end of the month— when we move into our new place. I’m leaning towards the Vizio M series and was going to pull the trigger for about $700/$800 but thought to wait until after Prime Day in case some of the Best Buy’s/ Targets drop their price to be competitive 
  • cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
    Same. Also a 65”. Going smaller than our 70” Vizio that has been starting to wig out with dull shadow bars. It did good for a long while but yeah the TV jungle has changed. Walked around in a Target yesterday. Man TVs can get cheap nowadays or you can always just add money and stir.  So many versions of 4K. Big decision with the Smart TV aspect like “smart” vs Roku. 
    Following...

• CretanBullCretanBull Toronto
    edited October 9
    Hisense is another 'budget' line who make very good TVs.  I've bought 2 TVs in the last year, both 55 inch and I relied on the ratings and advice from rtings.com.  I ended up with a Samsung for my living room because I watch 90% of my TV there and I wanted something cheaper for my bedroom and ended up with a Hisense.  For my cheaper option, I had it down to a TCL and a Hisense and the Hisense came up for sale first so I went with that one.
    cdriveChinaski
  • edited October 9
    Hisense is another 'budget' line who make very good TVs.  I've bought 2 TVs in the last year, both 55 inch and I relied on the ratings and advice from rtings.com.  I ended up with a Samsung for my living room because I watch 90% of my TV there and I wanted something cheaper for my bedroom and ended up with a Hisense.  For my cheaper option, I had it down to a TCL and a Hisense and the Hisense came up for sale first so I went with that one.
    I forgot about Hisense, they are right in the same line as TCL and Vizio. They used to be only a very budget friendly TV but they've stepped up huge in the past 3ish years and are delivering a very good picture quality. 

Some things for everybody to think about with the purchase of TVs in the near future. 4k is the new norm and is about resolution or how many individual pixels are on the screen. HDR is another buzz word talking about TVs and makes a big difference in contrast (the difference between the blackest black and the whitest white, this also applies to all colors your TV can produce). HDR stands for High Dynamic Range and it basically expands the color pallet of the content you are watching if it utilizes HDR.

Now expanding on that there are 2 different forms of HDR, HDR-10 which is the more popular version and Dolby Vision which isn't as common but universally is praised as improving the picture quality more than HDR-10.

Every TV that has HDR supports HDR-10 but not every TV out there supports Dolby Vision. 

Wherever you get your 4k content is going to depend on whether they use HDR-10 or Dolby Vision. 4k Blu Ray Disks use either HDR-10 or Dolby Vision depending on the studio typically. Netflix uses Dolby Vision (but it is downmixed to HDR-10 if your TV doesn't support Dolby Vision). Amazon Prime uses HDR-10 primarily but does have a few shows that utilize Dolby Vision. Hulu does not support HDR yet.  

As mentioned above by @MrX and myself use the site rtings.com and search the TVs model number you are looking at to see where the TV rates in their tests. They are easily the most in depth reviews of TVs out there and they review tons of them. 
    CretanBullcdriveChinaski
  • Prices might not be totally analogous between Canada and America because we have different trade deals etc, but as a point of reference...

For my living room I bought a 55' Samsung Q80R, it was retailing for $1899 but I got it on Boxing Day (the day after Christmas, it's the Canadian version of Black Friday) for $1499 (a little over $1100 US) and they threw in an extended warranty for free.

For my bedroom, I got the Hisense 55 Q8G, which is called the H8G in America (exactly the same model, just different names in Canada and the US) the regular price on that was $779 and I got it on sale for $659 ($500 US).

To be perfectly honest, while I would say the Samsung is better it isn't $850 (CND) better IMO.  I think 9/10 would be perfectly happy with the Hisense and pocket the extra cash.  Even if the Hisense doesn't last as long, you could buy a replacement and still have $200 in your pocket.
    cdriveChinaskiGiovanni
  • Prices might not be totally analogous between Canada and America because we have different trade deals etc, but as a point of reference...

For my living room I bought a 55' Samsung Q80R, it was retailing for $1899 but I got it on Boxing Day (the day after Christmas, it's the Canadian version of Black Friday) for $1499 (a little over $1100 US) and they threw in an extended warranty for free.

For my bedroom, I got the Hisense 55 Q8G, which is called the H8G in America (exactly the same model, just different names in Canada and the US) the regular price on that was $779 and I got it on sale for $659 ($500 US).

To be perfectly honest, while I would say the Samsung is better it isn't $850 (CND) better IMO.  I think 9/10 would be perfectly happy with the Hisense and pocket the extra cash.  Even if the Hisense doesn't last as long, you could buy a replacement and still have $200 in your pocket.
    I completely agree. Most people aren't going to notice a major difference between a lot of TVs. Also don't judge picture quality by going to Best Buy or any retailer and comparing the picture qualities of the TVs hanging on a wall because they are all on different picture modes (dynamic vs standard vs cinema) that make big changes in overall brightness and contrast. Also the "high end" TVs that aren't displaying the identical thing as the other TVs on the wall are typically being fed a separate feed that is higher quality and highlights that TVs selling points. 
    CretanBullcdriveChinaskiGiovanni
  • If you are a gamer and plan to get the new systems make sure it can run 4K on 120hz and has hdmi2.1
    awookieeMurderbearGiovanni