Tenet (spoilers)

So I finally decided to hit up the theater and go see Tenet, and I must say I haven't felt that confused/thrilled in a long time. The convolution of this movie makes inception look like child's play, and has time travel aspects on the level of Primer. Has anyone else seen this? What did you think? 

Comments

• HunkuleseHunkulese Québec, Canada
    I think it's by far his worst movie if you don't count Dunkirk. It's convoluted just to be convoluted and is missing the heart that helped Interstellar and Inception so much. It suffers from the usual Nolan problem that it's so intentionally confusing that three-quarters of the movie has to be devoted to the supporting cast explaining what's happening, except this time everyone has a thick accent and half the time their mouths are covered in some way.

I also saw it in IMAX, so it was way too loud. I'll give it another shot when I can watch it at home with subtitles, but I doubt my opinion will change much.
    Freddy
  • I saw this about a month ago (back when Europe was still ok), and thought that the movie was definitely too confusing, to the point where the third act was nothing more than impressive visuals. I think the sound design which just made hearing impossible added a lot to how difficult it was to understand (my friend who had German subtitles to help clearly understood much more than I did). It's highly ambitious and I love some of the action scenes in it, but I didn't need to watch the movie again (both because of how utterly confusing it is, and because of covid) when I could (and did) watch a YouTube breakdown of it.

Anyway, I hear the blu-ray comes out in December. I'm going to be interested in what Jim and A.Ron say about it.
  • Hunkulese said:

I also saw it in IMAX, so it was way too loud. I'll give it another shot when I can watch it at home with subtitles, but I doubt my opinion will change much.
    I haven't seen this movie, but this complaint resonates with me so hard. When the hell did directors decide that action should be at 10,000,000 dbs while dialogue should be at 5? I have a decent soundbar with a sub and receiver and have to constantly have the remote next to me to turn up dialogue scenes and turn down action sequences. So annoying.

Also, yes, I realize this is super old man yells at cloud. 
  • I’ve never had so much fun watching a movie where I had no fucking clue what was happening. I even went home to read about it for a couple of hours and still felt like I wasn’t fully understanding it. But the first time the Protagonist went through that machine I was so amped up
  • Hunkulese said:
    I think it's by far his worst movie if you don't count Dunkirk. It's convoluted just to be convoluted and is missing the heart that helped Interstellar and Inception so much. It suffers from the usual Nolan problem that it's so intentionally confusing that three-quarters of the movie has to be devoted to the supporting cast explaining what's happening, except this time everyone has a thick accent and half the time their mouths are covered in some way.

I hear you on just about every point, but still, I fucking loved this movie lol
    EMAW42
  • FreddyFreddy Denton, Texas
    edited October 21
    Tenet is a prime example of a movie that I don't like, but I'm still glad it exists. You need guys like Nolan out there doing weird shit with a big budget. It keeps the artform moving forward.