The Queen's Gambit (Netflix)

Is anyone else watching this?  I've seen the first three episodes and I'm loving it so far.  It's come along at a good time for me, since Covid I've taken up playing chess online.  I'm far from a hardcore player, but I've played a lot over the last 6 months or so and have a new appreciation for the game.
blue_sleeveGiovanniadampaszcdrive

Comments

• I thought this show was amazing!  
  • bizmarkiefaderbizmarkiefader San Francisco
    Is it interesting if you don't care about chess at all? The guys on The Watch were calling it a masterpiece and I was thinking about giving it a shot, but every time I read the description I end up watching something else.
  • Is it interesting if you don't care about chess at all? The guys on The Watch were calling it a masterpiece and I was thinking about giving it a shot, but every time I read the description I end up watching something else.
    Absolutely. You don't have to have a strong knowledge of chess to enjoy it.
    bizmarkiefader
  • rhcooprhcoop Knoxville, Tn
    I really enjoyed it.  I thought episodes 5 and 6 dragged some and could have been combined into one episode, but the series was really good overall. 

I like the idea of playing chess more than actually playing it, but it the show did a great job on depicting how intricate the strategy is for great players. 
    Giovanni
  • CoryCory New Scotland
    I think I'll check it out this weekend.  I used to love chess as a kid/teen.
  • MurderbearMurderbear Cold Spring, Ky
    edited November 12
    I think there are a few eye-rolling moments but overall, I thought it was great! Also, as a Kentucky boy, I was pleasantly surprised by the setting and all of the local details thrown in there.
    Chinaski
  • Is it interesting if you don't care about chess at all? The guys on The Watch were calling it a masterpiece and I was thinking about giving it a shot, but every time I read the description I end up watching something else.
    Yeah, none of the plot lines are dependent on knowledge of chess..for me it was just an added hook.
  • JohnnieDarkJohnnieDark South Florida
    Doesn't matter at all if you like Chess.  It's all about Anya Taylor-Joy Star making performance.  I predict she's going to be the next Angeline Jolie.  The last two episodes to me are up there with any episodes on any show this year.
    CretanBullGiovanni
  • I need to check this out but was skeptical as I have absolutely zero chess knowledge but after reading the posts here clearly changed my mind. Anya Taylor Joy has absolutely killed it in everything she's been in but especially in the VVitch. I'm glad she's doing another movie being directed by Robert Eggers as I think they both bring out something extra in each other. She most definitely is going to be a major star in the next few years and deserves every bit of it. 
    blue_sleeve
  • Teresa from ConcordTeresa from Concord Concord, California
    This is now on my watch list. 

FYI Anya Taylor Joy is apparently on the short list to play Batgirl. 
    rhcoopMurderbearadampasz
  • rhcooprhcoop Knoxville, Tn
    This is now on my watch list. 

FYI Anya Taylor Joy is apparently on the short list to play Batgirl. 
    I could definitely see her playing Barbara Gordon with that red hair.   

She was great in this show.  
  • edited November 13
    Also she's lined up to play Furiosa in the Fury Road prequel...

"Mad Max: Furiosa’s Anya Taylor-Joy Reacts To Taking On The Role From Charlize Theron - CINEMABLEND" https://amp.cinemablend.com/news/2556981/mad-max-furiosas-anya-taylor-joy-reacts-to-taking-on-the-role-from-charlize-theron
    Murderbearblue_sleeve
  • No Spoilers
    I couldn't get enough of this show, and I am tempted to watch it a second time because everything else seems to pale by comparison.

The chess in this show is legit! Garry Kasparov and Bruce Pandolfini were advisors, and the games were adapted from classic games of the era. There are a bunch of YouTube videos analyzing the key matches presented on the show. 
    If you don't know chess, it works too... and maybe will inspire you to learn. The filmmakers came up with pretty much every possible way to make chess cinematic.

Every single character is so clearly defined, and well-acted. I wanted to learn more about even the most minor characters. I felt each episode could have been expanded to a full season.
    Great period detail. I would put it in the same category as The Americans and Mad Men in the way it completely transports you to another time.
    And, as everyone else has said, ATJ gives a breakout performance.

I wish there would be a season 2. They could do a prequel or a sequel. ;)

GiovanniCretanBull
  • CoryCory New Scotland
    I'm resuming episode 4 this morning, after binging it all evening. 

@adampasz - are there no plans for a season 2?
  • Cory said:

I'm not being snarky, I'm trying to avoid spoilers - watch the series until the end then make that determination for yourself.
  • CoryCory New Scotland
    Cory said:

I'm not being snarky, I'm trying to avoid spoilers - watch the series until the end then make that determination for yourself.
    37 minutes to go.

I have my suspicions...
  • I've sat on my thoughts for a few days to let the series kick around in my head before sharing my thoughts on the series.  Having let it percolate for a bit I think that I'm ready to claim The Queen's Gambit the best Netflix show of all time.  I still rank The Crown and a few others pretty highly, but I think the writing and performances in this series can't be beat.
    blue_sleeve
  • ChinaskiChinaski Santa Cruz, CA
    I think there are a few eye-rolling moments
    a few episodes in and this. shout out @Murderbear. i'm still digging it, but it's not perfect.
  • ChinaskiChinaski Santa Cruz, CA
    oh wow! i had no idea!

'Heath Ledger was set to make The Queen's Gambit his directorial debut'

Giovanni
  • Chinaski said:
    oh wow! i had no idea!

'Heath Ledger was set to make The Queen's Gambit his directorial debut'

Yup...Ellen Page was going to play the lead role.
  • This was one of the best things I've watched this year. Like others have said pretty much everything about it is exquisite: acting, writing, direction, set and costume design. Mexico City episode in particular stands out for me for the portrayal of Beth and Alma's relationship.
    GiovanniCretanBull
  • Have watched E1. I can see why people like it, but not sure there is enough hook for me. I have read great reviews here and elsewhere, so I may keep watching. 
  • MrXMrX CO
    rkcrawf said:
    Have watched E1. I can see why people like it, but not sure there is enough hook for me. I have read great reviews here and elsewhere, so I may keep watching. 

I'd say keep watching - episode 1 doesn't have much Anya Taylor-Joy (teenage/adult Elizabeth) and she gives an amazing performance for the rest of the series.
    CretanBullblue_sleeve