Destiny - The Taken King trailer

Good god, the warlocks have gone full on Emperor Palpatine.  UNLIMITED POWER!!!  I wasn't too jazzed to be playing another Hive themed expansion, but this looks cool as hell.  

Comments

• HatorianHatorian Dagobah
    edited June 2015
    I can't get behind a game that requires me to buy another game in order to continue to play. $40 for the next expansion is pretty crazy. That doesn't even include the other $20 expansions they alreay released. 

Besides Destiny there were 2 things that got me psyched from E3. Battlefront and Final Fantasy 7 remake. 
  • The South Park trailer was pretty funny as well. 
  • A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    Well, it's either expansions or a monthly access pass.  I'd prefer the expansion model, to be honest.   Supposedly this is going to have about 75% of content that the base game had.  The only thing that gets weird is the way the bundle some of the exclusive items and physical rewards with packages that essentially punish returning players.  If they uncoupled the rewards from the package that already contains the original plus the two expansions I'd be completely fine with it.  They'll soak me for $80, since I gotta pay for me and my kid, but given how much we play it, it's a pretty good entertainment investment.  

At least I'll get the VIP stuff for "free".  
  • good points. I guess if you spend 100 hours+ on a game then its a good investment regardless. It certainly is a fun game. 
    Oh yeah, I've got 250 hours since Christmas, and my son's got at least that much. We play together on the weekends, it's a hoot.
  • As some who has bought Destiny on 3 different consoles (360, Xbox One and PS4). I really do enjoy the game but I just have to say this ain't nice, fair or smart at all.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-06-22-destiny-the-taken-king-director-defends-40-expansion-price-tag

Yeah, I saw that, what an asshole.  I've paid for two copies of all content (one for me, one for the boy), and they're out of their minds if they think I'm going to spend $80+ dollars for a golf clap and new dance.  I would pay something for those things, but I'm not going to spend $160, when I'm already going to be in for another $80 just for two copies of TTK.

On the other hand, I despise the argument that it's unfair for new players to only pay $80 for Destiny, and 3 expansions.  I do see the time value argument for games.  Sure, they get a hellacious deal for all that content, but they missed out on the play time, when that content was fresh and heavily played, and they'll never get that back.

I think there should be a middle ground.  $50 bucks for a version of TTK + new emotes and flair, maybe.  Supposedly Deej has an official announcement this week that will make all of the first year players happy, but we'll see. 
    Hatorian
  • Yeah I agree with you on the $50 idea for sure, and I understand them doing the $80 deal to get new players and all. It's just the arrogance and disrespect I take issue with even Deej in a reply on the Destiny forums got pretty nasty in his second sentence of his reply.

"That's your right, and we respect your freedom to make decisions about what you find valuable.

The Collector's Edition is mostly sold out, so the people who found that stuff valuable jumped at the chance. You'll likely see it sold on ebay for much more than what we're asking. But that's not the point. Right?

The real conversation here is: What are we doing to honor you, the players who have been bound to Destiny in this first year of action and adventure? I'm glad you asked. I'm going to answer in the Bungie Weekly Update."

Don't bite the hand that feeds you comes to mind for me anyways.
    "But that's not the point. Right?"

It boggles my mind that a PR person said that.  Christ man, what are you saying is the point?  
  • I never knew you PS4 bastards had more strikes and weapons than us XBone people until I watched E3
    Yeah, and despite what some say, the Flayer and Undying Mind strikes are actually quite fun, but the the UM strike is longer than most of the others, and the most fun part in the middle where you have to fight off wave after wave of yellow bar enemies on the endless stair is frustrating because they shut off glimmer for that part.  But it's a lot of fun, especially if you have a good mix of warlocks and titans, because it's endless nova bombs and wards of dawn, a good team that's properly equipped can chain supers endlessly, and there's nothing quite like it.

The weapons are a mixed bag.  The only exclusive I've had is arguably the crappiest, the monte carlo which looks awesome but is really only useful for screwing around with melee builds in the crucible. The hawkmoon is obviously the 2nd or third best handcannon in the game for PVP, and the fourhorsemen seems totally badass, but I haven't been lucky enough to see them drop yet. 

But, it sucks that they are console exclusive.  If for no other reason than I wouldn't mind seeing both of the strikes in the nightfall/weekly rotation, AND maybe I could have bought a Hawkmoon off Xur by now...