Sappy Movies

What’s a sappy movie that you unironically love? Feel free to define “sappy” however you’d like. However, also feel free to challenge someone else on their use of “sappy”.

I’ll go first.

Father of the Bride (1991)
Deecdrive

Comments

• DeeDee Adelaide
    Why would you say Father of the Bride is sappy? How are you (personally) defining sappy? 

I can’t think of any modern day sappy movies I like. I can think of ones that make me cry, like Dead Poets Society and Steel Magnolias. Would they be considered sappy? 

I love an old timey weepy - Miracle In The Rain, Mr Skeffington, The Enchanted Cottage, Douglas Sirk movies, etc. 
  • MichelleMichelle California
    edited November 17
    I unashamedly love a good rom-com with a sweet ending.
    When Harry Met Sally is my fav. :heart:
    JoshuaHeter
  • When I hear “sappy” I think of movies that are blatantly trying to get me to feel something, not necessarily romance. The only one I can really think of that I actually like is My Dog Skip. It’s more of a childhood movie that I cherish but I recognize that it’s nostalgia fodder for boomers, which im not, but I still like it all the same.

Some modern sappy movies I can think of are Lion, basically any movie featuring an animal as the lead, Green Book, Hidden Figures, The Help, basically any movie reminding you of racism, Crash. These are more of the “ah jeez, I get it!” camp.
    JoshuaHeter
  • Dee said:
    Why would you say Father of the Bride is sappy? How are you (personally) defining sappy? 
    Allow me to clarify, when I said “feel free to challenge someone else on their use ‘sappy’.” I didn’t mean, feel free to challenge *me* on *my* use of sappy.

.... jk.

I guess I just mean “overly sentimental” or something like that. And, in regard to Father of the Bride, I present exhibit A: a montage of the father and the bride playing a game of 1-on-1 set to “My Girl”.
    Dee
  • Teresa from ConcordTeresa from Concord Concord, California
    Love Actually. 

Bonus points because not only do I think it’s sappy but it’s on my annual Christmas movie watch list. 
  • cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
    I love Father of the Bride.

Here's my go at it: 

The Wedding Singer
    Down With Love
    School of Rock
    Pitch Perfect
    Crazy Rich Asians

JoshuaHeter
  • Teresa from ConcordTeresa from Concord Concord, California
    cdrive said:
    I love Father of the Bride.

Here's my go at it: 

The Wedding Singer
    Down With Love
    School of Rock
    Pitch Perfect
    Crazy Rich Asians

Wedding Singer reminded me of 50 First Dates. That is sappy with a side of sappy.
    JoshuaHetercdrive
  • @cdrive

Putting School of Rock on the list is interesting. Initially, I wouldn’t have thought of it as sappy, but the end... when all of the parents are super-proud, watching their kids perform... that gets me right in the feels.
  • calebthrowercalebthrower South Carolina
    The Holiday. It is a must watch for my house at Christmas. 
    JoshuaHeterMichelle
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    @cdrive How dare you - The Wedding Singer and School Of Rock are not sappy! 
    cdriveJoshuaHeter
    J’ADORE those movies! J’a double dore those movies. Ain’t nothing wrong with sappy! 
    Dee
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    @cdrive The Wedding Singer is my all time favourite movie (though I tell people it’s Miller’s Crossing). The aeroplane bit is saved from sappy by having Billy Idol in it, I reckon. 

I was listening to a podcast the other day and someone mentioned School of Rock as a perfect movie, and I thought, you know what, it is. 
    Chinaski
    Dee said:
    @cdrive The Wedding Singer is my all time favourite movie (though I tell people it’s Miller’s Crossing). The aeroplane bit is saved from sappy by having Billy Idol in it, I reckon. 

I was listening to a podcast the other day and someone mentioned School of Rock as a perfect movie, and I thought, you know what, it is. 
    It so fucking is.  Every time I run into that movie on TV I'm like, well shit, there goes whatever I was supposed to do for the next hour or so. 
    DeeChinaski
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    @cdrive Same! 
    cdrive
  • BrieanneBrieanne California
    Pollyanna, The Little Princess (Shirley Temple version), and Steel Magnolias...double sappy points because I used to watch them all the time with my mom who sadly passed away three years ago.
    Dee
  • ChinaskiChinaski Santa Cruz, CA
    Silver Linings Playbook got pretty sappy and i dug it.

and shout out @dee & @cdrive for the Wedding Singer ref. THEY WERE CONES!
    Deecdrive