2020 Secular Christmas Music Playlist

A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
Hey all, I finally got my Christmas music playlist up and going! You can follow it here: "Secular Christmas" on YouTube Music.  Yeah, I hate YouTube Music, but what can you do? Google decided Play was just too good.

Anyway, I used to just listen to the 24x7 Christmas music station that you always have, but one year I swear every 2-3 songs they'd throw in the most syrupy, off key version of "Mary Did You Know?" and I'd fucking lose my mind. So Cecily and I started curating our own playlist, and this is the result. 135 songs, making up over six hours of Christmas bliss. Shuffle for best results.

Some nots: 1) This isn't purely secular. We don't burst into flame anytime someone mentions God or Jesus or angels,  but if you're one of THOSE atheists, this maybe isn't your list. 2) There are some weepy bitter sweet Christmas songs in here, because sometimes Christmas is weepy and bitter sweet. If you've lost someone this year, or are going through a breakup, or are, I don't know, isolated from friends and family because of some global pandemic... be ready for the skip button if it gets to be too much.  3) We tried to do a good mix of classic versions of Christmas standards, covers of same, straight up bobs, and some novelty/comedy songs that we personally like.

What did we miss? Discuss below! Who knows, we might add it?

neilfgkscdrivetom_gFreddyskinner_boxJoshuaHeter

Comments

• edited November 2020
    Thank you for sharing!

some favorites of mine (other than the more obvious ones):

Ral Donner - Christmas Day

The Shells - Happy Holiday (different than the one you're probably thinking of)

Debbie & The Darnells - Santa, Teach Me To Dance

Vinnie Monte - Hey, Look At The Winter Snow

Beach Boys - Christmas Day (different from the first one listed)

She & Him - Christmas Day same as the Beach Boys one immediately above, but I also like this version...

She & Him - Christmas Wish

Army Navy - Cold Cold Christmas

Lenka - All My Bells Are Ringing
    A_Ron_Hubbardcdrive
  • A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    Great options! I added a lot of them. Really digging Christmas songs from the doo- wop era.
    neilfgks
  • Teresa from ConcordTeresa from Concord Concord, California
    Thank you for this wonderful Xmas gift. I will be listening while decorating my tree tonight. 

A wonderful Thanksgiving to all, and to all a good night.
    A_Ron_Hubbard
  • As a subscriber to the original playlist on Google Play, thanks for updating this!  This playlist has almost 50 more songs than the old one!  

Also, thanks for not being a Spotify guy.  I am boycotting them because of the exclusivity deals they keep signing with podcasters, and how unfriendly their platform is to podcast consumers.
    A_Ron_Hubbard
  • MichelleMichelle California
    Santa Baby by Eartha Kitt is a definite must for this playlist! :heart:
    (The original though, not any kind of weird remake.)
    A_Ron_Hubbard
    Added!
    Michelle
    edited December 2020
    I have more!  This is the stuff I love, from the 40s/50s/60s :heart:

First, I'm shocked this one isn't on there yet!  Brenda Lee - Rockin' Around the Christmas Tree

Kay Starr - The Man With The Bag

June Christy - The Merriest

Bobby Helms - Jingle Bell Rock

The Andrews Sisters/Bing Crosby - Christmas Island

Frankie Carle - Little Jack Frost Get Lost

Peggy Lee - Winter Weather

TravisCecilyA_Ron_Hubbard
    edited December 2020
    Otis Redding - Merry Christmas Baby

Chuck Berry - Run Rudolph Run

Brian Setzer Orchestra - Nutcracker Suite

FreddyTravisA_Ron_Hubbard
  • Can’t hate this version of Wonderful Christmastime by Tuxedo
    cdriveA_Ron_Hubbard
  • FreddyFreddy Denton, Texas
    edited December 2020
    The best Christmas song of all time:

Not sure if you could call it secular, but it's definitely not your traditional "God is going right down your throat, you fucking sinner!" Christmas song.
    A_Ron_Hubbard
  • edited December 2020
    I'm an atheist but I LOVE a lot of the religious Christmas hymnals because they are so tied up with my nostalgia and memories of the holiday from being on the radio and playing at relatives house. Oh Come All Ye Faithful is my favorite (even better if in Latin), but stuff like Oh Little Town of Bethlehem, Hark the Herald Angel Sings, Oh Holy Night, etc. 

Nostalgia is a hell of a thing. 

Edit - if you want some weird shit here's Santa Clause is Coming to Town sung by Tommy Tutone to the tune of 867-5309

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ekp0TyaYnEM 

The whole album (hopefully this link works) is pretty wild - Iggy Pop, James Brown, Air Supply, to name a few

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F7hVeyF21CA&list=OLAK5uy_m8TjLOSlJ5LK7vMmYT-Vw_cXIBKHbylDA

Also look at that album art lol. 
    Cecily
  • I endorse the entire Sia Christmas record from a couple years back. 

The Community Soundtrack is on Spotify and has Sensitive Night

I told you about this one on Twitter, but I heard it again this morning and it's just too goddamn good.
    Of Montreal - Christmas Isn't Safe For the Animals

Christmas classic... Dick in a Box

Not a Christmas or necessarily a holiday song, but I've seen it on holiday mixes so...

Christmas at Ground Zero!

finally, Aimee Mann made a really good Christmas record a few years back. Worth a spin. I particularly like her Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas

CecilyA_Ron_Hubbardcdrive
    Thank you all for your suggestions! We started the season with about 140 songs, and now we have 175 or so. I haven't evaluated this last batch that came in while I was away on vacation, but looking forward to it.

I will say that some obvious misses are there because I try really hard not to have more than 2-3 version of the truly classic, because at first I threw everything on and it sucked when occasionally you'd fall into a "White Christmas" hole where it would play the "same" song several times close together. Now I'm going for "highly curated", and try to include the definitive "classic" version and 1-2 alternates that are different in style. I also switch versions in and out as I get tired of some and discover new ones.

Also considering an "Adult Conversational Christmas" that's just jazzy and mellow versions of Christmas songs as well as a "Nothing But Bangers" version that is nothing but upbeat, dancey numbers.
    MichelleTraviscdrive
  • TravisTravis CA
    edited December 2020
    They're religious so I left them out initially, but Sufjan Stevens made a really good Christmas collection several years back. I think my two favorites were...
    O Holy Night (I'm not a religious person, but I'm a sucker for O Holy Night. Just a beautiful song in general)

O Come O Come Emmanuel

And one more secular number
    Gold Bears - XMas Song

cdrivebenny54321
  • JoshuaHeterJoshuaHeter Omaha, NE
    edited December 2020
    Okay (sorry if I missed this but), I haven’t seen anyone list the greatest secular Christmas song of all time (I will die on this hill!)...

”Christmas (Baby Please Come Home)”

Also, everyone please enjoy this Radiohead / Mariah Carey Christmas mashup...

“All I want for Creepy Christmas”

https://youtu.be/ZE4shVkwqIk
    Travis
  • cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
    Well if we're going full secular I might as well rep some H-Town with 80s Houston punk band Culturcide - Santa Claus Was My Lover.  Can't believe I hadn't shared it yet.  Has a really nice beat to it.

Travis
  • A couple songs from artists from where I'm from that seem like they'd fit into your list:

And if anyone is a chance the rapper song, his Christmas album is pretty good. This song is now on my yearly list:

Travis
  • Oh and a good comedy one is a weird al original Christmas song:

Travis
  • jluzaniajluzania Denver
    edited December 2020
    The Pogues - Fairytale of New York

I'd forgotten the song existed and then it just came up on Spotify's Christmas Classics list. Pretty catchy, even if the lyrics are a bit dark. So it should fit the list just fine:

Though it does drop the f-word slur, so maybe that disqualifies. 
  • Just heard Dominick the Donkey for the first time. Nice to see that was already on the list. Another first one for me:

"Cool Yule" by Louis Armstrong

• Teresa from ConcordTeresa from Concord Concord, California
    a Sia xmas song I very much enjoy