The Mandalorian S2E05

Comments

• That was a great 40 minutes. Ahsoka was a bad ass, and some exciting reveals about the future maybe.
    Murderbear
  • edited November 2020
    Ok as great as Ashoka was, I got so pumped with the name drop of the magistrates master. Hoping that’s leading to that character in live action 

Seems like this episode is a back door pilot for a rebels follow up series 
    Peepsblue_sleeveMurderbearbror.00
  • This was everything I wanted it to be and more. Immediate tears as soon as Ahsoka came on screen.

Ahsoka as a ronin helping out the town from the oppressive magistrate was a cool ass vibe, and I legit yelped when she mentioned Thrawn. 

I hope we get an Ahsoka spinoff, man.
    Peepsadobo1148robotkblue_sleeveMurderbear
  • robotkrobotk Los Angeles, CA
    So good. I know the boys aren’t doing a lunch today, but are we getting a S02E55 podcast, does anyone know?
    Bigbro516
  • Ahsoka: I’ve seen what such feelings can do to a fully trained Jedi Knight. To the best of us. 

Me:

PeepsMurderbear
  • Im just glad Rosario Dawson didn’t have to wear that ridiculous midriff. 
    MurderbearBrooklynMD
  • One teeeny tiny complaint, they didn’t get the sound of the lightsaber quite right. That familiar woosh wasn’t there when she unsheathed her lightsaber and the deep humming wasnt there when she waved it. Im only saying this bc the show up till this had nailed those details. 
  • adobo1148 said:
    One teeeny tiny complaint, they didn’t get the sound of the lightsaber quite right. That familiar woosh wasn’t there when she unsheathed her lightsaber and the deep humming wasnt there when she waved it. Im only saying this bc the show up till this had nailed those details. 
    They used the same sound effects here that they used in Rebels. The white sabers have a distinctly different sound than the standard ones. 
    robotkMurderbearBrooklynMDTheJudoCrab
  • robotkrobotk Los Angeles, CA
    This episode has sparked a real desire to rewatch the Clone Wars and Rebels with the family. 
    blue_sleeve

• robotk said:
    So good. I know the boys aren’t doing a lunch today, but are we getting a S02E55 podcast, does anyone know?
    I think the podcast is dropping on Monday this episode and next due to holiday/anniversary 
    robotk
  • Ashoka never actually witnessed Anakin’s descent into the dark side, yes? So she could have been referring to other Jedi like Krell or Dooku. 

• adobo1148 said:

Ashoka never actually witnessed Anakin’s descent into the dark side, yes? So she could have been referring to other Jedi like Krell or Dooku. 

In Rebels her and Vader face off and during that fight, she sees that the ‘rumors’ are true and that Anakin fell to the dark side and became Vader.
    Peepsadobo1148MurderbearTheJudoCrab
  • adobo1148 said:

Ashoka never actually witnessed Anakin’s descent into the dark side, yes? So she could have been referring to other Jedi like Krell or Dooku. 

In Rebels her and Vader face off and during that fight, she sees that the ‘rumors’ are true and that Anakin fell to the dark side and became Vader.
    Ok that makes sense
  • I do wish Morgan Elsbeth had been a returning TCW character. That would have been a cool, tragic twist. 

HK droids, too! Not the best look at them, but cool all the same. 

And yes, great episode. I can't wait to see Tython.
    PeepsRyanReeseman
  • edited November 2020
    They’re pulling in so much stuff from every corner of the Star Wars universe and making it fit so seemlessly and so well. Books, comics, animation, previous movies, and now previously de-canonized Knights of the Old Republic with the ancient Jedi planet of Tython. It’s what fans have been begging for for years, to make all the shit we’ve loved over the years connect and feel like it matters instead of only acknowledging the feature films. When you install the right people to be in charge of this stuff, it’s amazing how their attention to detail and world and character building can really pay off, and how that reflects itself within the actual story and themes of the episodes. Cameos and references and name drops are only going to get you so far, it’s what you do with those pieces of lore that actually give us these great character moments that we’ve gotten from this show.

Yeah, Ahsoka stalking through the mist and charging the gates is cool and all that shit, but the real moments are during the campfire scene with her and Grogu communicating through the force, while nervous Dadalorian paces in the background waiting to find out if he had finally done right by this little child that he’s come to care for. Finding out bits and pieces of his history and how there’s just this deeply sad shared trauma among everyone who was connected to the Jedi, and how it informs her inability to allow herself to take on the task of training him. She knows what it’s like to be plucked away from family and put onto a path designed to grind you down.

No wonder she doesn’t want that for Grogu, and it’s also the reason why I loved the end of Jedi: Fallen Order so much when Cal destroys the holocron in an attempt to let these force sensitives have the opportunity to choose a path for themselves. This episode was very much about trauma and the choices you make in dealing with it, and how it can lead you to a deeper understanding of yourself and your past or how it can be turned into hatred and oppression like Magistrate Morgan Elsbeth. 

I don’t spend much time watching YouTube reactors, but it has been a real treat watching every one that I can find for this episode. A lot of people have been waiting a long time for this and you can see by the tears and the smiles and laughter. 

blue_sleeve
  • kingbee67kingbee67 Los Angeles Ca.
    Well now I gotta watch all of the Clone Wars and Rebels episodes. 
    RyanReesemanblue_sleeveCory
  • kingbee67 said:
    Been seeing so many people say this. I’ve missed this type of enthusiasm in the Star Wars community. 
    blue_sleevePeeps
  • kingbee67 said:
    You’ll be glad you did! It enriches so much of the story.
    Peepskingbee67
  • CoryCory New Scotland
    kingbee67 said:
    Been seeing so many people say this. I’ve missed this type of enthusiasm in the Star Wars community. 
    How long are they, 22-24 minutes?

And how many?
  • I just finished s2 of rebels, and am still not clear what happened to Ashoka after the Sith Temple encounter with the Inquisitors and Vader. 

• adobo1148 said:

I just finished s2 of rebels, and am still not clear what happened to Ashoka after the Sith Temple encounter with the Inquisitors and Vader. 

Best I can say without spoiling anything is keep watching. 
    blue_sleeve
  • Magistrate Morgan Elsbeth must be one heck of a martial artist to have come out of that fight with her fingers attached 
  • edited November 2020
    Cory said:
    kingbee67 said:
    How long are they, 22-24 minutes?

And how many?
    133 episodes with average of around 20-22 minutes.

There’s a chronological watch order that you can seek out if you want to, because there’s a handful of episodes that were released in later seasons that were supposed to take place before episodes in previous seasons. Basically any time George Lucas wanted to flesh out some backstory or had a new idea about something he just used new episodes to do it. There might be one or 2 episodes in Season 5 that you’re supposed to watch in like Season 3 or something but it pretty much stops in Season 4.

I skipped the episode every time I saw Jar-Jar in the thumbnail. 

• lengmo said:
    Magistrate Morgan Elsbeth must be one heck of a martial artist to have come out of that fight with her fingers attached 
    She’s played by Bruce Lee’s goddaughter so there’s a decent enough chance. 
  • Man, what an episode! Even better on a second watch.
    That moment when Ahsoka Tano whispered Grogu's name in Mando's ear? It was like she was whispering in all of our ears. Mando having trouble not calling him"kid" is like the trouble we are all having and the way Rosario Dawson delivered that line was just perfect, worthy of a chef's kiss.

I totally agree with all the chatter that this is a back door pilot and that this show is a way for F&F to resuscitate and take over the franchise.
    blue_sleeve
  • Sorry to show my ignorance, but what is F&F?
    bror.00
  • calebthrowercalebthrower South Carolina
    adobo1148 said:
    Sorry to show my ignorance, but what is F&F?
    Jon Favreau and Dave Filoni
    adobo1148bror.00
  • Overall impressed. Wondering how Bo Katan knew she was there since it didn't seem to be any kind of home for Ahsoka, just on a mission of her own. Mando's busted ass ship took some arbitrary amount of time to get there so she definitely could have been long gone, but timeline of events has never been SW's strong suit...