Warner Brothers sending 2021 movies to HBO Max

Comments

• DUNE?! YESSSSSSS! 
    MurderbearNoel
  • Garthgou81Garthgou81 Placerville, CA
    Well, so much for movie theaters.
    gguenot
  • MurderbearMurderbear Cold Spring, Ky
    Now if only I could get their app on my LG TV! That would be nice. Oh, and maybe some 4k?
  • MurderbearMurderbear Cold Spring, Ky
    Scratch that. Wonder Woman 1984 will be their first 4K movie. Sweet!
  • rhcooprhcoop Knoxville, Tn
    I appreciate they aren't gauging their HBO Max subscribers like the Mouse did with Mulan. 
    Peeps
  • MichelleMichelle California
    Now if only HBO Max would partner with Roku!
  • ChinaskiChinaski Santa Cruz, CA
    Michelle said:
    i think it will happen sooner than later. esp after this announcement. this is a pretty good read..

Michelle
  • BenBen Melbourne - Australia
    A question, if an Australian had a VPN and could access HBO, how would they go about paying for it? Can you buy vouchers or something?
  • HunkuleseHunkulese Québec, Canada
    edited December 2020
    It's super lame that I won't have a legal way to watch any of these movies while they're still being discussed.

This has been happening way too often for how connected everyone is these days. 
    Cory
    Chinaski said:
    Michelle said:
    i think it will happen sooner than later. esp after this announcement. this is a pretty good read..

It better happen!  They rescheduled the Friends reunion filming to March, and HBO Max is the only place to see it!  Oh, and I guess it would be cool to have other stuff available too. :)

• Can't wait to see Dune! Take my money! 
    Noel
  • It's been like a decade since I was in this world but I'm assuming there is going to be an excellent copy of these movies on all the torrent sites now an hour after they go up. I wonder what this will do for piracy especially in areas that don't have access to these legally. I mean, they have to have some plan to make these available in other markets that we haven't heard about yet.
    Scratch that. Wonder Woman 1984 will be their first 4K movie. Sweet!
    yeah this is what i was reading from another site..

'That includes movies like "Godzilla vs. Kong," "Mortal Kombat," "In the Heights," "Space Jam: A New Legacy" "The Suicide Squad," "Dune," the "Sopranos" prequel "The Many Saints of Newark" and "The Matrix 4." (The WarnerMedia announcement notes that release dates could change, which might move some of these titles out of the scope of today's announcement.)

These movies will be available on HBO Max for one month, in 4K Ultra HD and HDR, at no additional charge.'

• So here's the kicker, yes Wonder Woman 1984 will stream in 4k but only on select devices...

At the moment, the list of supported devices includes:

Apple TV 4K
    Amazon Fire TV Stick 4K, Fire TV Cube and 4K Fire TV Edition smart TVs
    Google Chromecast Ultra and "supported" Android TV devices
    The AT&T TV streaming box (which runs Android TV)

"HBO Max will stream Wonder Woman 1984 in 4K HDR, Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos - CNET" https://www.cnet.com/google-amp/news/hbo-max-will-stream-wonder-woman-1984-in-4k-hdr-dolby-vision-and-dolby-atmos/
  • It's really annoying that the streaming landscape is still so hodge-podge when it comes to what services are available on which devices. I have a Sony TV with Android TV, hoping it's a "supported device."
  • MrX said:
    It's really annoying that the streaming landscape is still so hodge-podge when it comes to what services are available on which devices. I have a Sony TV with Android TV, hoping it's a "supported device."

I think it will get worse before it gets better. It's bad enough that every network seems to want to have it's own streaming subscription(s) to compete against the Netflix's of the world, just wait until HBO decides it wants to compete against Roku as well and releases it's exclusive streaming device. 

"Want to watch The Mandalorian season 3? Available now exclusively on the $129 DisneyBox™ featuring Disney+"

At this point I just want cable back....  This isn't how I imagined cutting the cord would work.
    Chinaski
  • redlancer said:
    MrX said:
    It's really annoying that the streaming landscape is still so hodge-podge when it comes to what services are available on which devices. I have a Sony TV with Android TV, hoping it's a "supported device."

I think it will get worse before it gets better. It's bad enough that every network seems to want to have it's own streaming subscription(s) to compete against the Netflix's of the world, just wait until HBO decides it wants to compete against Roku as well and releases it's exclusive streaming device. 

"Want to watch The Mandalorian season 3? Available now exclusively on the $129 DisneyBox™ featuring Disney+"

At this point I just want cable back....  This isn't how I imagined cutting the cord would work.

Comcast/Xfinity/NBC is trying a version of this, offering Peacock for free to Xfinity internet customers but only on their streaming box.
    MrX said:
    Comcast/Xfinity/NBC is trying a version of this, offering Peacock for free to Xfinity internet customers but only on their streaming box.
    yeah i didn't even know I had it for like the longest time. i think i've watched like 1 or 2 movies on it.
  • Man, I hope Roku and HBO finish their deal by the time Wonder Woman premieres. I don't think my old Chromecast stick will quite cut it. 
  • It's been like a decade since I was in this world but I'm assuming there is going to be an excellent copy of these movies on all the torrent sites now an hour after they go up. I wonder what this will do for piracy especially in areas that don't have access to these legally. I mean, they have to have some plan to make these available in other markets that we haven't heard about yet.
    Piracy will always be an issue, but the music industry found a way to remain viable in the face of piracy, I imagine movies will too. It's the indie scene that'll suffer. 
  • Anyone feeling bad for theater chains?
    Honestly, I don't think piracy effects Hollywood profits as much as they would have you believe.  I think pirate's effects are basically a wash.  I also think that if Hollywood would provide easy universal access at a reasonable price, piracy would all but disappear.  For instance, it's the LACK of HBO Max support on people's devices that is pushing people toward pirating HBO Max content.  When they get their content on all the devices people want to use, there will be much less incentive for people to pirate.  (Current impending economic depression aside.)  

In our world of interconnectedness, it's a bit asinine that all these regional restrictions exist.  This is certainly a driver for piracy.  I understand that there are legal hurdles to providing content to other regions, I just think it's a bit ridiculous.  

If some enterprising corporation could put together a software solution that collects all these services in to one interface, so users don't have to juggle apps and determine WHERE content is available, it would surely lower piracy further.  Google's new "Chromecast with Google TV" ($49.99) makes great strides towards this, and is likely the future interface for Android TV.  (Though I imagine most current Android TV devices, especially TV's with Android built in, are unlikely to be updated to it.)  

jluzania said:
    Man, I hope Roku and HBO finish their deal by the time Wonder Woman premieres. I don't think my old Chromecast stick will quite cut it. 
    MrX said:

I have a Sony TV with Android TV.  (4k, no HDR) from around 2015-2016.  It does not handle 4k content very well.  I personally sidelined my built in Android TV and added an Nvidia Shield TV ($150, or you can get the Pro version which is better for gaming for $200)  However if your use case is only for streaming services like HBO Max, Netflix, Prime, etc you can't do much better dollar for dollar than the new Chromecast with Google TV ($49.99)  mentioned above.  I can highly recommend it.  It runs Android 10, and you can sideload apps on it very easily.  
  • So after doing some research into what devices streams what services in both Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos, I went out and bought an Nvidia Shield Pro. I can almost guarantee I didn't really need the pro as I won't be using it for gaming but I said fuck it and went with it.

Very happy with the quality and it gets me Disney+ and Netflix in Dolby Atmos and Dolby Vision, plus it should get me HBO MAX in whatever their highest quality is going to be when that drops with WW84.
    JoshTheBlack
  • I assumed you'd have to pay per movie viewing - like Disney did with Mulan - but they're all going to be included in the price of the HBO Max subscription. That's an insane value! I already thought HBO was the best value of the streaming services.

I wouldn't have paid to watch any of these movies except Dune, but for no extra cost I'll watch most of them. Wonder Woman on Christmas night? Let's do it. 

It's looking more and more like Netflix doesn't offer as much value as HBO or Disney (especially if you have kids). 
    Peeps
    Michelle said:

Chinaski said:
    Michelle said:

there ya go!

Michelle
    Well it's about time!!!!  Yay!  Thanks @Chinaski! :)

• @awookiee I think you'll be happy with that.  I've been super happy with mine.  Mine is a 2016 model, from before the Pro.  It doesn't have the AI upscaling.  I liked it enough to buy a second one for my bedroom TV.  It is the only thing plugged in to my bedroom TV, and it gets a ton of use.  

If you have steam games on your PC, you can use the nvidia game streaming to play them on the shield.  Also, GeForce NOW to play them in the cloud on your TV.  IME, it works better than Stadia.
    awookiee