Lord of the Rings reviews

The guys' podcasts came out slightly ahead of schedule for me because they just released the extended editions in 4k on Tuesday Dec 1st. I'm beyond excited to both have them released in 4k and have my favorite podcasters cover them recently but a little bummed they weren't able to experience the amazingness that these films will be in 4k.

Are there any others here that were super excited when they announced they were releasing LOTR and The Hobbit extended editions in 4k? I'm for sure watching these things cranked to 11. 

Comments

• MurderbearMurderbear Cold Spring, Ky
    I would be WAY more excited if I had a PS5 to watch these bad boys on....but yes! Very excited to watch these again. I had actually watched Fellowship right before the fellas did their podcast because I was listening to Season 2 of Newcomers. (Season 1 With Star Wars was way better) Was thinking about doing Two Towers and Return this weekend cause I want to listen to those podcasts!

Seeing the extended editions though in glorious 4k should be awesome
    bizmarkiefader
  • I would be WAY more excited if I had a PS5 to watch these bad boys on....but yes! Very excited to watch these again. I had actually watched Fellowship right before the fellas did their podcast because I was listening to Season 2 of Newcomers. (Season 1 With Star Wars was way better) Was thinking about doing Two Towers and Return this weekend cause I want to listen to those podcasts!

Seeing the extended editions though in glorious 4k should be awesome

I did the same thing with Newcomers, that podcast is great. I used it as a backdoor to get my girlfriend to watch LOTR cause she loves Nicole but once we started watching it turns out she might like those movies even more than I do. We still haven't watched the extended editions so once we eventually get a new TV and can ever come across a PS5 those would be perfect to break it in with.

I'm sure this has been discussed before but it feels wrong LOTR is in their pulp feed, these are Oscar movies man.
    Murderbear
  • Teresa from ConcordTeresa from Concord Concord, California
    The podcasts inspire me to do a rewatch over my holiday break. The fact that it is now in 4k is like a Christmas present to me. I guess I am making an assumption that it's streaming somewhere in 4k?

Bonus thread content - Amazon's LOTR series has resumed production in New Zealand. Also, Netflix's live-action Cowboy Bebob and James Cameron's Avatar sequels (not sure why we need this)
  • edited December 2020
    The podcasts inspire me to do a rewatch over my holiday break. The fact that it is now in 4k is like a Christmas present to me. I guess I am making an assumption that it's streaming somewhere in 4k?

Bonus thread content - Amazon's LOTR series has resumed production in New Zealand. Also, Netflix's live-action Cowboy Bebob and James Cameron's Avatar sequels (not sure why we need this)
    I don't believe it is streaming anywhere in 4k right now anyways. I'm very much a physical media movie person and just got the physical copies (they released on 12-1). They aren't cheap but it is so going to be worth it.

What makes me even happier is I'm pretty certain they utilize Dolby Vision HDR which I believe is superior to HDR10. Definitely getting into home theater nerd talk there but that's me