New shows from Disney+...

And the other Disney streaming services like Hulu and ESPN+. 

Theres a ton of content.

JoshuaHeter

Comments

• We’re all in agreement that this is a day one podcast, right?

PeepsDeeMurderbearFreddyJoshTheBlackhisdudeness915nstinsonTheJudoCrab
  • FX is just gonna keep paying Noah Hawley to make whatever movies he wants into TV series aren't they?

Freddy
  • MrXMrX CO
    edited December 2020
    So much Star Wars. They're really banking on all the good will from Mando.

- Rangers of the New Republic

- Ashoka (live action with Rosie Dawson as everyone predicted).

- The Obi-wan Kenobi show apparently is going have Hayden Christensen in it. 

- Andor (Rogue One spinoff - btw that movie holds up pretty well and looks amazing in 4k on Disney+)

-A Lando limited series 

- A "mystery thriller" called a the Acolyte from Leslye Headland (Russian Doll) 

- Taika  Waititi movie

- Patty Jenkins directed Rogue Squadron movie
  • Rian Johnson watching today’s announcement roll out...

• edited December 2020
    Rian Johnson watching today’s announcement roll out...

The nerds have unfortunately turned one of the best young filmmakers into a fucking nuclear no-go moving forward. It’s a real shame to find out that diaper-shitting white men on the Internet actually have influence.
    JoshTheBlackCretanBull
  • Welp... moving on. I’m optimistic about Star Wars moving forward. I don’t think anything will come close to (IMHO) the heights of the original trilogy, but I feel like Star Wars is in competent hands. None of it will be cover-your-eyes bad like some past Star Wars content. A lot of it will be “fine” to good. But, I’d have to think that at least some of this will end up being really, really good / fun.
  • No ones talking about the Marvel shows?? New trailers for Wanda, Falcon, and Loki! All look fan-freaking-tastic! I want to get a temp on the other shows and movies announced like-- Ironheart and Fantastic 4?? 

As well any pissed we still havent got a Eternals trailer?
    JoshuaHeterChinaski
  • Oh Secret Invasion as well?? With Jackson and Medhelson!

• ChinaskiChinaski Santa Cruz, CA
    zh90538 said:
    No ones talking about the Marvel shows?? New trailers for Wanda, Falcon, and Loki! All look fan-freaking-tastic! I want to get a temp on the other shows and movies announced like-- Ironheart and Fantastic 4?? 

As well any pissed we still havent got a Eternals trailer?
    i've been pumped for WandaVision since it was announced! 1/15/21, can't wait!
  • There's some good shit from FX and Hulu too. Y:The Last Man, Shogun, AHS spinoff, Alien series.

And there's a Mighty Ducks series from Disney with Emilio Estevez and Lauren Graham.
  • I guess that’s what happens when you flub a big opportunity after being given too much artistic freedom. 

JoshuaHeter
  • I guess that’s what happens when you flub a big opportunity after being given too much artistic freedom. 

I don't get all the Rian Johnson hate.  I liked VIII.  I like Rian Johnson even more.  
  • Price increase coming in May 2021 announced also. Probably be $15 a year by next December lol

I don't get all the Rian Johnson hate.  I liked VIII.  I like Rian Johnson even more.  

Yea and after the success of Knives Out I think his career is going to be just fine.
  • Teresa from ConcordTeresa from Concord Concord, California
    Thinking I should have added to this thread.

The Bad Batch Disney+

• Rian Johnson watching today’s announcement roll out...

The nerds have unfortunately turned one of the best young filmmakers into a fucking nuclear no-go moving forward. It’s a real shame to find out that diaper-shitting white men on the Internet actually have influence.
    100% !!

I dunno, it seems like if you're going to have a trilogy of movies telling one story they should either be done by the same person or give them an outline of major things that need to happen and let them work within that box. It was wild they just winged something as massive as that. How do you tell someone to go make the movie they want and then complain it doesn't fit perfectly between the other two?
    Walnut FreyCretanBull
  • Star Wars may be moving on without Rian Johnson, or movies largely in general outside of Rogue Squadron, but Johnson himself will be fine. Knives Out once again underscored the fact that he's a great filmmaker and his films can make money at the box office. 

As for Disney, I did initially think they may be overextending themselves with this many series and I don't think there's any doubt that they are. But if they do, so what? A few good to great Marvel, Star Wars, Hulu, and FX series while the rest are middling to mediocre is probably the best case scenario for them. After all, isn't that everyone's model? A few must-see hit shows is all the service needs to get on the map and give them staying power, so that's probably all they want. I myself wasn't super jazzed about much of it, but a few trailers caught my eye. At the very least I know I'll be catching Loki, WandaVision, The Bad Batch, Obi-Wan, and Andor just out of curiosity's sake. And if others get raves, they'll no doubt make the list, which I'm sure is all Disney wants. 
  • HunkuleseHunkulese Québec, Canada
    edited December 2020
    I guess that’s what happens when you flub a big opportunity after being given too much artistic freedom. 

Not really sure you can call the best Star Wars movie in 40 years that grossed over a billion dollars a flub.

The flub was deciding to make a trilogy and not plan the trilogy out in advance.
  • MrX said:
    FX is just gonna keep paying Noah Hawley to make whatever movies he wants into TV series aren't they?

Honestly, this is the kind of thing I WOULD want Hawley to helm. I believe he can expand this universe in the ways that Ridley Scott promised. 
    blue_sleeve
  • HunkuleseHunkulese Québec, Canada
    MrX said:
    FX is just gonna keep paying Noah Hawley to make whatever movies he wants into TV series aren't they?

Honestly, this is the kind of thing I WOULD want Hawley to helm. I believe he can expand this universe in the ways that Ridley Scott promised. 
    Expect a scary thrill ride set not too far in the future here on Earth.

Nothing about that line makes sense if it's in the same canon as the movies. Is the scary thrill ride going to be watching corporations destroy the planet? 
  • Garthgou81Garthgou81 Placerville, CA
    MrX said:

I am so down for this. Hawley is exactly the person I'd be interested in telling the story. Probably the most excited I've been for the franchise since Isolation. And before that the very original (I'm a weirdo who doesn't even think Aliens is all that great).
    blue_sleeve
  • CoryCory New Scotland
    My friend sent me this.

No description available
  • I'm not sure how I feel about a firefly reboot. Part of me says leave it alone but the other part of me knows there's so much potential in the world that was created. 
    Cory
  • More reboots just announced: 
    Cool Runnings series starring Nick Offerman
    MASH remake screenplay by Shane Black
    King of the Hill live-action reboot
    The Rocketeer directed by Kenneth Branagh
    Joking aside please just create something new...
  • redlancerredlancer Seattle
    edited December 2020
    awookiee said:
    I'm not sure how I feel about a firefly reboot. Part of me says leave it alone but the other part of me knows there's so much potential in the world that was created. 

I feel like that series should just kind of exist in it's own little time-capsule universe.

So much more to that series than just the cool world-building. The cast and their chemistry, the dawn of the online fan-base discussion, Joss Whedon at the height of his powers, and a million other little things I don't think a re-boot could really recapture. It would be like if Disney decided to re-boot the original StarWars trilogy.

Does a re-boot mean just 2-3 seasons of the same story we already know? 

edit - this sounds even less fun:
    "The new show would start the story of Captain Mal Reynolds and his crew aboard the Serenity over from scratch, with an aim to make this a long-running series on Disney+.  There is a twist here that they see the show as ideal family-friendly programming for Disney+.  My source tells me they’re planning to target it more at a PG-adventure, family audience and less at the sort of PG-13 dynamic the original show went for.”

All that being said, Jim & ARon should be very happy knowing they've got years and years of content coming down the Disney firehose feed.

• From all the trailers I saw, I’m frothing at the mouth to get this WandaVision and Loki show. They look like they’re doing some truly unique and wild shit.
  • edited December 2020
    I guess that’s what happens when you flub a big opportunity after being given too much artistic freedom.

I dunno, it seems like if you're going to have a trilogy of movies telling one story they should either be done by the same person or give them an outline of major things that need to happen and let them work within that box. It was wild they just winged something as massive as that. How do you tell someone to go make the movie they want and then complain it doesn't fit perfectly between the other two?
    The original trilogy was directed by 3 different directors and overseen by a guy who was literally just winging it. So much so that in the 2nd movie we randomly get the beyond-all-probability ass-pull that Vader is Luke’s dad, and then another in the 3rd that he’s Leia’s dad too and oh she’s Luke’s twin.

Then we’re supposed to get a big battle between clans of Wookiee’s and our heroes fighting the Imperials on Kashyyyk “but oh wait I’ve got this other property that I want to promote so they’re teddy bears now. Aaaand I don’t know just do another Death Star I guess.”

The original trilogy was arguably less planned out than the sequel trilogy, but the difference is all that stuff was at least new (minus the Death Star). Hiring someone who has never had an original thought in their career to come along and try to revive this franchise was the absolute downfall of the Disney trilogy. 

• The original trilogy was arguably less planned out than the sequel trilogy, but the difference is all that stuff was at least new (minus the Death Star). Hiring someone who has never had an original thought in their career to come along and try to revive this franchise was the absolute downfall of the Disney trilogy. 
    I think this is a pretty big factor. Those movies got to build whatever mythology they wanted. These had to fit into not just their own trilogy, but decades worth of world building where every conceivable detail has been thought through a million times. Some random idea for a character or new alien or dude who appears for two seconds in the second movie in 1980 would have spawned 18 novels and 3 Disney+ spinoffs by now, episodes 7-9 had to do the inverse and make it all feel worth it.