Anyone have a PS5?

CoryCory New Scotland
If so, how do you like it so far?

Comments

• I have one. I’ve barely played it, but so far it seems great! I have only played Astro’s Playroom, and had a blast with that. 
    Cory
  • CoryCory New Scotland
    I might pick one up tonight, if it's still there.
  • Garthgou81Garthgou81 Placerville, CA
    If you saw one in the wild, it is likely gone by now. Its like the loch ness monster. 
    Cory
  • CoryCory New Scotland
    If you saw one in the wild, it is likely gone by now. Its like the loch ness monster. 
    Turns out they aren't even carrying them, just a big empty box.  :s

I should have known better, though.
  • Yea, the new Spider-Man game is awesome even if it’s a little repetitive from the first one. 
  • FreddyFreddy Denton, Texas
    I managed to snag a PS5 today at random. My friend told me that Sony was doing a weird online queue today, and I ended up getting a good spot. Only problem is, it's the digital version. I mostly wanted it early just to upscale my PS4 games; all of which are physical copies. Guess I'm going to try and sell it. Anyone ever sell sold out holiday electronics?
  • CoryCory New Scotland
    @Freddy - All I want for now is the optical version, I think.  And hope to get the "full" version later, on sale with a bigger HDD.
    @Cory I think the only difference is the lack of a disc drive. I don't think the disc version of PS5 has a larger hard drive than the disc-less. I am positive one with a larger internal HD will be coming out at some point with a new SKU.
    Cory
  • CoryCory New Scotland
    @Cory I think the only difference is the lack of a disc drive. I don't think the disc version of PS5 has a larger hard drive than the disc-less. I am positive one with a larger internal HD will be coming out at some point with a new SKU.
    Yup, both hard drives are 825 GB, I believe. I'm sure they'll release a 2 TB one eventually.
    They will. I have a PS4 Pro and a 2TB internal HD and I still needed to get another external HD to hold things. #DigitalProblems But there is no way I am going back to physical these days. Movies on the other hand...those I am happy to have in physical form because they can still look/sound so much better than anything streaming has offered. 
  • They will. I have a PS4 Pro and a 2TB internal HD and I still needed to get another external HD to hold things. #DigitalProblems But there is no way I am going back to physical these days. Movies on the other hand...those I am happy to have in physical form because they can still look/sound so much better than anything streaming has offered. 
    Smart man. I don't play a ton of video games these days other than Halo so I still buy physical copies. But movies on the other hand, my physical collection is a bit ridiculous and I will never go digital with that because of the quality differences. 
  • I managed to get a Disc version ordered through Walmart's clusterfuck of a system this past Tuesday.  (12/15)  Two days now it has said "Preparing order, tracking available soon." and has an estimated delivery of January 9th.  That's a 25 day turn around on something costing $534.  

The thing is, I don't even want a PS5.  I was just gunning for it to give my roommate an edge in his attempt to purchase.  He's paying me back, of course.  

I've gotten in the PS Direct queue at least half a dozen times and never managed to make the cut.  
  • I do , only managed to to snag one due to where I work , the only thing with the 2TB talk is to keep in mind the system has only 825GB storage on it's internal SSD  I will say also there is an internal slot to add more storage to the system. But due to the cost of the drives the system uses most additional storage costs close to 200 USD for an additional 1TB so it'll be a hot minute till the next revision has more storage I would imagine 
  • CoryCory New Scotland
    I do , only managed to to snag one due to where I work , the only thing with the 2TB talk is to keep in mind the system has only 825GB storage on it's internal SSD  I will say also there is an internal slot to add more storage to the system. But due to the cost of the drives the system uses most additional storage costs close to 200 USD for an additional 1TB so it'll be a hot minute till the next revision has more storage I would imagine 
    The original PS4 only had 500 GB.

I upgraded mine to 2TB before I ever turned it on, though.
  • The PS5 uses NVMe drives, as opposed to the PS4s SATA drives.  There might be some other proprietary stuff built in to keep off the shelf NVMe drives from working too.  I'm not sure on that.
    I do , only managed to to snag one due to where I work , the only thing with the 2TB talk is to keep in mind the system has only 825GB storage on it's internal SSD  I will say also there is an internal slot to add more storage to the system. But due to the cost of the drives the system uses most additional storage costs close to 200 USD for an additional 1TB so it'll be a hot minute till the next revision has more storage I would imagine 
    Yeah, upgrading the internal HD is not going to be a cheap venture. But as of now, the PS5 doesn't allow that. A future firmware will unlock it, I'd imagine. I've heard that it is struggling with some external HDs currently as well. It will all get ironed out--just launch system hiccups. 
  • CoryCory New Scotland
    The PS5 uses NVMe drives, as opposed to the PS4s SATA drives.  There might be some other proprietary stuff built in to keep off the shelf NVMe drives from working too.  I'm not sure on that.
    So what you're saying is SONY made it harder to do it?
  • HunkuleseHunkulese Québec, Canada
    edited December 2020
    Cory said:
    The PS5 uses NVMe drives, as opposed to the PS4s SATA drives.  There might be some other proprietary stuff built in to keep off the shelf NVMe drives from working too.  I'm not sure on that.
    So what you're saying is SONY made it harder to do it?
    Kind of, but they did it for a reason. Both the new consoles are designed around really high end SSDs, and they're needed for the performance they're looking for. 

They do have an interior slot that they've made easy to access, but it's not ready to go yet. They'll enable it later with an update. It's pretty standard from Sony. There were a bunch of features that weren't ready to go when the PS4 launched.

They've also said off the shelf drives will work if you buy the right ones, which are still ridiculously expensive.

You're also supposed to be able to use any old external hard drive to store games you're not playing, but I don't have a PS5, so I'm not sure how well that actually works. 
    Cory