The Expanse Season 5 (ALL Book Spoilers!)

2

Comments

  • That was an absolutely Excellent episode... maybe the best episode of The Expanse yet? (Recency bias?) So many payoffs, truly the culmination of the 4 previous seasons

    EP 504 Spoilers below:

    With Fred Johnson dead, does this mean we will get Dawes back soon (Seeing as he has a big role in book 6)?
    Can someone remind me how Duarte and his crew get their hands on the Protomolecule? Or is this different from the books? I really do need to re-read the books sometime.

    Elisa
  •  I am kinda assuming that (unmanned? maybe?) ship is heading towards Duarte/Mars or maybe towards the group that Bobbie and Alex are tracking. Part of the deal with Marcos if I remember correctly (although I don't remember Marcos claiming to have it in the books). My assumption is that he is posturing to improve his theatrics even more but he actualled handed off the protomolocule to the martians.

    Also WTF I was not prepared to see Fred die!! 
    Elisa
  • I'm guessing Bull takes over Fred's arc from the books? Would make sense, they've already re-purposed his character for the show. Sucks that we don't get anymore Chad Coleman though.
    PeepsElisa
  • ray_x03 said:
    That was an absolutely Excellent episode... maybe the best episode of The Expanse yet? (Recency bias?) So many payoffs, truly the culmination of the 4 previous seasons

    EP 504 Spoilers below:

    With Fred Johnson dead, does this mean we will get Dawes back soon (Seeing as he has a big role in book 6)?
    Can someone remind me how Duarte and his crew get their hands on the Protomolecule? Or is this different from the books? I really do need to re-read the books sometime.

    Pretty similar to how they get the protomolecule in the books. Big difference is Fred doesn't doesn't in the attack.
    Elisa
  • I really don't get them killing off Fred here. They've done a good enough job with prior changes that I won't say I hate it, I'll see where it goes but right now it feels like a needless remix and a waste of a good actor that has been underutilized all series when his arc is already set to close next season.
    Peeps
  • I actually think it was a smart move to bump his death up - it really lends personal stakes to the attack. If none of the main characters died in the biggest terrorist attack in history that killed millions it'd be a little strange. 
    EMAW42Elisa
  • ElisaElisa Los Angeles
    That Sauveterre could be Duarte. That said yeah in the books the protomolecule goes to Duarte and his Mars faction. Payment for the stealth tech and ships given to Marcos. This episode was sooooo good. Nice to see Monica get more screen time and we see some fight in her. Tycho is theoretically an opa station. I can’t see Bull running it but who knows. I would love to see Anderson Dawes but the actor is so busy I really doubt it. 
  • More detail from the Opening credits: in 504 we see an MCRN ship pass through the Laconia gate

    Elisa said:
    That Sauveterre could be Duarte. That said yeah in the books the protomolecule goes to Duarte and his Mars faction. Payment for the stealth tech and ships given to Marcos. This episode was sooooo good. Nice to see Monica get more screen time and we see some fight in her. Tycho is theoretically an opa station. I can’t see Bull running it but who knows. I would love to see Anderson Dawes but the actor is so busy I really doubt it. 
    So if Sauveterre is the stand-in for Duarte this season, I'm guessing he will not on the Barkieth - hence Babbage standing in for book Sauveterre's role - pretty smart move to avoid casting Duarte before confirming if they'll eventually adapt 7-9
  • Ah I see how they'll handle writing Alex out of the show - Bull's a pilot now! I can live with that.
    darthcaedus1138
  • MrX said:
    Ah I see how they'll handle writing Alex out of the show - Bull's a pilot now! I can live with that.
    Depends on if he survives this season? But yeah, not a bad choice. 
    Elisa
  • ElisaElisa Los Angeles
    Bull is a pilot hmmm. Maybe he can replace Alex. Episode 5 is out early. 
  • Would anyone else prefer they recast Alex? I don’t want to lose the character just to prevent a few awkward episodes getting used to someone new. 
    BrooklynMD
  • I'm loving the Amos-Clarissa stuff. Hitting all those familiar notes and doing them really well.

    Not so sure about the Marco and Free Navy side though. It kind of changes Marco's motivation, and by extension Filip's too. 

    Avasarala is a little different as well but there hasn't been as much time spent with her the last 2 episodes to get a real good feeling. 
  • Peeps said:
    I'm loving the Amos-Clarissa stuff. Hitting all those familiar notes and doing them really well.

    Not so sure about the Marco and Free Navy side though. It kind of changes Marco's motivation, and by extension Filip's too. 

    Avasarala is a little different as well but there hasn't been as much time spent with her the last 2 episodes to get a real good feeling. 
    I think one of the weaker points of the books compared to the show is that we don't get to see all our characters react to the main events of each arc since we're limited by selected POVs, so I really liked this episode's slower character-focused drama, particularly Shoreh's great performance as Avasarala. If I recall correctly, I don't think we see her dealing with the loss of Arjun directly after the attacks? 

    But I do think the season is slightly suffering from too many simultaneous plot lines, which makes ep 6 where every major arc is covered less "Eventful" as we're only spending a few minutes with each plot. (I'm seeing some complaints on Reddit about how the show's wasted 10% of the season on character drama, to which I say, did you not know The Expanse was a character drama in space?) So the pacing is a little weird.

    I find what they're doing with Marco and Filip in the show pretty interesting, though - having Filip talking to Naomi more clearly sets out his path to turning away from Marco. The guys discussed some meta adaptation stuff on the podcast, and I do think it's super cool to see the writing team tweak parts of the book to suit the show better, while keeping the good stuff, like Amos and Clarissa, almost exactly the same. 

    Only 4 more episodes left (which feels crazy). I'm starting to think maybe season 6 will only be 8 episodes, mainly because the Michio Pa turning away from Marco storyline will probably be a lot shorter now that Drummer is set up for the storyline already halfway through season 5.
    PeepsElisa

  • The scene of Alex jumping from one ship to another feels like foreshadowing for Naomi’s “spacewalk”.


  • Very curious (since this is pretty far afield from the book plot) what happens when it's revealed that Drummer tipped her hand to Marcos - I don't think I've seen anyone pick up on this yet but didn't she reveal to Marcos that she heard Ashford's recording (/that there was a recording at all) when she discussed the song he was singing at his death. My understanding is that this would be new information to Marcos and now he realizes that he was recorded and that Drummer potentially prevented the final rocks from hitting by sending along the message. 
    ray_x03Elisa
  • Mostly a Naomi centric episode with bits of Holden and a dash of Alex and Bobbie.

    I liked where they ended up in regards to Naomi's story, even if how they got there was a little clunky.
  • Teresa from ConcordTeresa from Concord Concord, California
    edited January 14
    It was a good episodes but a few holes keep it from great. Naomi leaving her locked room, having that epi pen, being able to jump to the other ship? I can’t make this work in my head because they showed me nothing on screen to support any of this. 

    And if Naomi had that much conscious time to “jump” to the other ship then why didn’t Cyn have the time to move his arm and close the airlock? 

    Edit - just realized this is a book spoiler thread and I did not read the books. Need to post on the other thread I usually read. 
    Peeps
  • I actually agree with Teresa that the spacewalk came out of nowhere a bit. In the books, if I recall they did a nice job of walking us through her planning it and then doing it and it was filled with awesome tension. This was more of a WTF moment, still awesome.
    PeepsTeresa from Concord
  • MrXMrX CO
    edited January 15
    Byrdie said:
    I actually agree with Teresa that the spacewalk came out of nowhere a bit. In the books, if I recall they did a nice job of walking us through her planning it and then doing it and it was filled with awesome tension. This was more of a WTF moment, still awesome.

    Yea I knew what was going on because of the books, but getting Naomi's inner-dialouge is definitely a strength of the books. One of the best things about her POV chapters is how you get to appreciate the level of detailed planning she does even under duress. I can see how for tv they would lean more towards the suspense/surprise angle, since said inner-dialouge is usually hard to translate to the screen.
    ByrdieElisa
  • Yea I am really enjoying superimposing what I know about the characters from being in their heads in the books, onto how they are expressed in the show. For instance we actually get to be in Marco's head a bit via his relationship/history with Naomi. Its been a few years since I plowed through the books but one bit I remember is Naomi walking us through Marcos' strategy of layering potential outcomes so that he could always look right (maybe Naomi will show up, but maybe she will show up with the Roci? etc). That strategic structure doesn't seem to be on display but it would be cool if it starts showing up.
    Elisa
  • Loved seeing the physical representation of Naomi's pain from the books. It was intense watching her struggle to warn Alex.

    Loved Amos and Peaches. Off the see the help and get their ship to Luna. 

    The UN stuff seems to be the weakest part so far, and that's not even bad.
    Elisa
  • Duarte and the Martians going to Laconia!
  • And the Barkieth went dutchman.

    Damn!
  • As much as we actually saw in the finale, we're DEFINITELY getting an adaptation of books 7-9, right? Right??
    Holy shit I wasn't expecting to see Laconia on the ground!!
    Peeps
  • ray_x03 said:
    As much as we actually saw in the finale, we're DEFINITELY getting an adaptation of books 7-9, right? Right??
    Holy shit I wasn't expecting to see Laconia on the ground!!
    Yea I was previously ok with the idea of ending the series with book 6 and letting Laconia be ... But  then they showed the goddamn orbital shipyards, and now I'm gonna be pissed if I don't get to see The Heart of the Tempest wreaking havoc on the Sol system!

    Also - they stroked out Alex, clever to repurpose Fred's book death to write him off the show.

    Curious to see how they handle Drummer/Pa next season. And I really really hope we get Jared Harris back as Anderson Dawes since there should be action on Ceres.
    Peeps
  • MrX said:
    ray_x03 said:
    As much as we actually saw in the finale, we're DEFINITELY getting an adaptation of books 7-9, right? Right??
    Holy shit I wasn't expecting to see Laconia on the ground!!
    Yea I was previously ok with the idea of ending the series with book 6 and letting Laconia be ... But  then they showed the goddamn orbital shipyards, and now I'm gonna be pissed if I don't get to see The Heart of the Tempest wreaking havoc on the Sol system!

    Also - they stroked out Alex, clever to repurpose Fred's book death to write him off the show.

    Curious to see how they handle Drummer/Pa next season. And I really really hope we get Jared Harris back as Anderson Dawes since there should be action on Ceres.
    I mean, just think about the non-book readers coming in next season expecting full-on Laconia storylines... only to be "stuck" with the end of the Free Navy one....

    I wonder if they reshot some of this episode to include Alex's death... they must have, right? It wouldn't make sense to have planned it before

    Agreed on Dawes - it would be great to have him back
  • Thanks to A.Ron, I now prefer "interdimensional fire demons" to "goths"
    PeepsMrX
  • MrXMrX CO
    edited February 3
    ray_x03 said:
    Thanks to A.Ron, I now prefer "interdimensional fire demons" to "goths"

    Interesting that it wasn't totally clear to him that the fire demons killed the Bakereith. I would have liked a shot of Sauveterre looking at his hand breaking down into atoms or something. I'm sure it will be become clear with Naomi's investigation next season.

    Also ARon basically nailed what happens in book 7 when he said the Laconian's are gonna come out like Spartans in 100 years and whip everyone's ass. I like that the show has left enough hints for an attentive show watcher to lay the groundwork for where the plot is going.

    ray_x03Peeps
  • I just read Strange Dogs for the first time yesterday. Wow. I really now hope they can somehow adapt it in season 6, if they choose to give us some glimpses of Laconia. Given that the sample is already on Laconia, it shouldn't take long for Cortazar and company to activate the stick moons, right? 

    Also, the effects on the Dutchmen event has me really revisualizing the complete obliteration of the slow zone in book 8... whew.
    Peeps
Sign In or Register to comment.