Are my BM Texas folks okay?

It's terrifying what is going on there with the winter storm and no power.  If you're in it, please let us know.  Do you have power? Water? Heat?

I am not in a place to venmo, cashapp or PayPal support.  Maybe others here are though.  If you need help, ask in this thread. Drop your tag or email.  Maybe someone in the community can help.

If you are struggling for heat, please do not burn anything inside your house.  Smoke damage and deadly fumes are dangerous. Propane shouldn't be burned indoors without proper ventilation either.

Build a fire outside and heat up some rocks.  Put them in a bucket or pot and bring them inside. Rotate more on the fire.

Move as much furniture, mattresses, etc in to one room and use them to insulate the walls.  Use blankets or clothes to seal up the windows and doors.  If you get direct sunlight during the day, take the blankets off of them.  Put them back when the sun isn't hitting them.

Put the contents of your freezer outside and pack with snow to keep it from spoiling. 

Most importantly, stay safe?

@Freddy @cdrive ;

Please tag anyone other BM Texas family you are aware of.
JoshuaHetercdriveMichellecalebthrowerFreddyMurderbearTxSandMan

Comments

• cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
    @TxSandMan @Thegelatoking , Gabe, Dustin, @fidoz
    TxSandMan
  • cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
    Incredibly kind of you JTB. I’m ok and Freddy said he’s alright too. Lots of folks are suffering though. Very bad situation. 
    MichelleFreddyMurderbearOliviaD
  • calebthrowercalebthrower South Carolina
  • Glad to hear it cdrive. 
  • FreddyFreddy Denton, Texas
    edited February 17
    I'm the head of emergency preparedness/disaster response over a staff of 20. Also a client list about the same, all of which are elderly, high risk, and not guaranteed power. Honestly, we've been really lucky so far. We got on top of things asap, and me being in the same grid section as a fire station has allowed me to effectively coordinate our response without interruption. We've had a few people who have gone to stay with family, but as of now that has been out of precaution rather than strict necessity. None of our old folks have froze to death, and we haven't lost contact for a prolonged period of time.

All that being said, I feel a little guilty that I've personally had it so easy. I'm basically just sitting in my warm luxury apartment, eating hot meals, with uninterrupted All Bills Paid utilities, just watching the snowpocalypse go on outside my window.
    Don't get me wrong, I still unplugged most appliances, turned down my thermostat, and have not ran my dishwasher or washer/dryer all week. But still, I don't have kids or pets, and definitely have way more than I need right now.
    JoshTheBlackMurderbearcdriveTeresa from ConcordMichelleAussieGregOliviaDNoelA_Ron_Hubbard
  • Glad to hear it @Freddy.  It sounds like you are the right guy to know when SHTF in Texas.  

Stay warm!
    Murderbear
    He has since resigned and decided not to run again.

GiovanniA_Ron_Hubbard
    TIM.jpg 92.7K
  • I saw that yesterday.  Beau of the Fifth Column did a video about it this morning too.  

It's like, what is the point of government and taxes if NOT to be stewards of infrastructure and make sure this exact situation doesn't happen?  You're in a bad situation?  PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY.  I've neglected all duties entrusted to me by the people who I govern.  TAKE CARE OF IT YOURSELF. 

Seriously, fuck that guy.  I hope everyone in Texas helps one another.  Even that asshole.   Just give him a little hell first.  Maybe make him play a rousing game of "Boar on the Floor."
  • Freddy said:

That's a hot take that will go down in history.
    My favorite response was "What does he think government does?"
    CretanBull
  • Freddy said:
    My favorite response was "What does he think government does?"
    Receive handouts (payheck from taxpayers) in exchange for enacting policy that allows rich companies to become richer companies at the expense of reliability and consumer protection.
    bizmarkiefader
  • bizmarkiefaderbizmarkiefader San Francisco
    "Texas mayor resigns after accidentally condensing the entire Republican political philosophy into a single Facebook post" lol
    FreddyDeeasmallcatcdriveGiovanni
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    Freddy said:

Holy snapping duckshit. I’ve seen some politicians say some stupid, shitty things, but that is something else. I was actually quite stunned reading that. 
    JoshTheBlackFreddyGiovanni
  • The mayor above is stupid and it is best that he resigned.  But, worse are the leaders that have failed the state over 20+ years then blame AOC.
  • Your grammar got a bit messy so not sure but it sounds like you are saying “blame the 20 something first time representative” for all our governments past problems?
  • ChinaskiChinaski Santa Cruz, CA
    edited February 18
    sending my best to all the BM TX peeps. hang in there, i know it must sucks. one of my best friends lives in Dallas and he lost power this morning, said the roads are a mess. i also have several co-workers in Austin that are having a hard time as well. sounds like a nightmare.
  • As the lie of their claims are laid ever more bare, the absurdity of their claims will continue to escalate.  I think more and more people are waking up to the fact that it was always a carefully constructed house of cards.  There will be people who buy the "Green New Deal" is the culprit garbage, but there will be people who formerly voted for them that will see through it.  I just hope their memories last long enough to vote for change.
  • MichelleMichelle California
    Continuing to think of you all down there and wishing you the best as you make it through this!  Stay warm!  :heart:
    cdrive
  • Hatorian said:
    Your grammar got a bit messy so not sure but it sounds like you are saying “blame the 20 something first time representative” for all our governments past problems?
    Sorry - 20+ years of governors and legislators have cut taxes at the expense of the grid system in Texas.  Now, snow/ice/single digit temps necessitate blackouts.  Somehow Canada manages.
    Freddy
  • Isn’t AOC from New York? And isn’t Texas deep red? How is that AOCs fault?
  • NoelNoel Dallas, TX
    I’m ok. Just going through it with my fellow Texans.
    DeeTeresa from ConcordcalebthrowerCretanBullJoshTheBlackFreddyOliviaDcdriveMichelleGiovanni
  • Hatorian said:
    Isn’t AOC from New York? And isn’t Texas deep red? How is that AOCs fault?
    Good question, why would Abbott and Perry blame NY and Washington?  Texas RECOMMENDED BUT DID NOT REQUIRE standards that would have prevented this emergency.  This is what you get with deregulation.
    Giovanni
    edited February 18
    A Canadian of Cuban descent fleeing from Texas to Mexico after telling his dying white constituents that a New Yorker of Puerto Rican descent is to blame for their problems is North American poetry at it's finest.
    bizmarkiefaderNoelcdriveCretanBullGiovanniA_Ron_Hubbard
    edited February 18

NoelGiovanni
    Ted1.png 221.7K
  • NoelNoel Dallas, TX
    Can’t wait to vote his ass out next year
    calebthrowerGiovanni
  • I think Cruz is 2024, not 2022. 
    Noel
  • MurderbearMurderbear Cold Spring, Ky
    Oh hey, Teddy Boy came back! Looks like he needed a full suitcase to drop his daughters off in Cancun. Probably not at all that his ass got caught vacationing while his state is going through a monumental crisis.
    CretanBullNoel
  • Oh hey, Teddy Boy came back! Looks like he needed a full suitcase to drop his daughters off in Cancun. Probably not at all that his ass got caught vacationing while his state is going through a monumental crisis.
    The sad thing is that dumb people will believe him.
    NoelMurderbear
  • edited February 19
    https://twitter.com/therecount/status/1362552651561504769

Now he's blaming it all on his daughters asking to get away. What a spineless blobfish. 

No offense to blobfish. 
    MurderbearCretanBull