Thoughts on "I Care a Lot"

edited February 21 in Movies
I watched "I Care a Lot" last night, mainly for the Dinklage of it all. He's good in it, as are Rosamund Pike and Dianne Wiest, and while I found it entertaining, I didn't love it. I like cynical, dark comedy-dramas, but this movie had an opportunity to make some commentary on how the elderly are largely disposable and mistreated in this country, and I feel like it missed the mark. I don't pretend to know how they could've changed the screenplay to really make a point, but I feel like the one character in the movie that we empathize with, Jennifer (Weist), is given short shrift at the end. I just felt kind of empty about it. Curious to hear anyone else's thoughts.

Comments

• Garthgou81Garthgou81 Placerville, CA
    So, I need to watch this, but I come in with some serious bias. Her scam is similar to what actually needs to happen to some folks. It is a heart-breaking scenario and incredibly serious. Becoming someone's guardian or conservator also happens to be my job--without the scam aspect. I have kind of been avoiding this one as well as stuff about Britney Spears's conservatorship. It is never fun to see your job or something you care about portrayed in a less than ideal way.

I know plenty of scam artists have situations like what (I assume) is portrayed in this movie, but it is so bleak and awful, that it is hard to comprehend it when I do this for a living and take the gravity of the job to my heart. I will get to this one, but I will need to be in the right headspace when I watch it. 
    sarahtatuga
  • So, I need to watch this, but I come in with some serious bias. Her scam is similar to what actually needs to happen to some folks. It is a heart-breaking scenario and incredibly serious. Becoming someone's guardian or conservator also happens to be my job--without the scam aspect. I have kind of been avoiding this one as well as stuff about Britney Spears's conservatorship. It is never fun to see your job or something you care about portrayed in a less than ideal way.

I know plenty of scam artists have situations like what (I assume) is portrayed in this movie, but it is so bleak and awful, that it is hard to comprehend it when I do this for a living and take the gravity of the job to my heart. I will get to this one, but I will need to be in the right headspace when I watch it. 
    It's pretty brutal in that regard. I'm an attorney, so the legal aspects of it were particularly bothersome to me, so I understand where you're coming from in that it hits close to home. Honestly, I wouldn't recommend you watching it unless you really want to. It's a tough watch to begin with, but it might be overwhelming if you're particularly concerned about conservatorships and treatment of the elderly. It's vicious, and like I said, I think it really misses an opportunity to make a meaningful point about how corrupt the system is/can be. 
  • Garthgou81Garthgou81 Placerville, CA
    edited February 21
    Okay, good to know. My initial thought was just to sit it out. Not because I have a hard time watching difficult material, but because people have some really wacky misconceptions about the job, to begin with. So I am not sure I am down with fueling that more or at least seeing how it is depicted for entertainment purposes. Sorry, my hijacking of this thread is done. 
    sarahtatuga
  • Okay, good to know. My initial thought was just to sit it out. Not because I have a hard time watching difficult material, but because people have some really wacky misconceptions about the job, to begin with. So I am not sure I am down with fueling that more or at least seeing how it is depicted for entertainment purposes. Sorry, my hijacking of this thread is done. 
    No hijacking, I'm glad you chimed in, if only to get the heads up to skip it unless you're dying to see it. Thanks for your thoughts, and I think you serve an incredible and honorable purpose in our society. Truly.