For All Mankind (spoilers through latest episode)

edited March 10 in Other TV
Couldn’t find a thread for this show, I figured since the boys are covering it now on OTC I’d get one going. What are people thinking about Season 2 so far? I’m 100% in with the Gordo redemption arc. 

The Baldwin scene in this last episode was simply phenomenal; I hadn’t gotten that emotional in a show since The Leftovers was airing. I loved how they portrayed the healthy family dynamic and stuck with them from the explosion through the resolution. I can’t help but think back to blowouts I’ve had and wish we could have handled it like they did. I think Ed is definitely putting himself back in space soon as a result of this emotional breakthrough. His grief led him to deny his life’s passion in an effort to ensure his family’s safety, but I think he can now accept that life happens regardless of where he is and get back to his calling. 

Comments

• A couple things really irked me in season 1: the entire Shane storyline and the Ellen/Larry investigation stuff. Maybe it's just that I really hate seeing bad/backwards parenting and really tired of seeing LGBT storylines that centres on hiding identities because of public image concerns.

But season 2 is turning my view on the Shane stuff, as it seems to have really transformed the Baldwin family. The scene in 203 is definitely powerful, and I have to say they've done a good job on resolving that arc.

I have no clue as to where this season will go, and I don't really care to speculate on it. I'm mostly looking forward to what made Alan Sepinwall say that the last few episodes are as good as any episode of TV in the last decade. 

Also: maybe put spoilers in brackets on the title of the thread as we're discussing both seasons here
    EMAW42
  • Wow I really can’t decide what I think is going to happen with Gordo. Clearly his past is still haunting him but the show is walking a tight line; the VCR, the space suit, and the ants all led to near panic attacks. However, his attacks have largely originated from the fear his hallucinations have come back, but the VCR lights and ants turned out to be real. He went to therapy and is fully committed. I don’t think he should go back to space, but that doesn’t mean he can’t succeed. Do we think he’ll be able to handle it? 

If Baldwin’s wife ends up banging Gordo’s kid I will be so pissed off. It’s clear he’s infatuated with her, but I think it would be really out of character for her to do that. After the last episode where they showed such a healthy and strong family dynamic I will feel some serious whiplash if she goes full cougar just because Ed is being a bit reckless. 
  • EMAW42 said:
    Wow I really can’t decide what I think is going to happen with Gordo. Clearly his past is still haunting him but the show is walking a tight line; the VCR, the space suit, and the ants all led to near panic attacks. However, his attacks have largely originated from the fear his hallucinations have come back, but the VCR lights and ants turned out to be real. He went to therapy and is fully committed. I don’t think he should go back to space, but that doesn’t mean he can’t succeed. Do we think he’ll be able to handle it? 

If Baldwin’s wife ends up banging Gordo’s kid I will be so pissed off. It’s clear he’s infatuated with her, but I think it would be really out of character for her to do that. After the last episode where they showed such a healthy and strong family dynamic I will feel some serious whiplash if she goes full cougar just because Ed is being a bit reckless. 
    Let me praise the show first: I'm always nervous when watching a launch of anything. The show has trained me well enough to not expect main characters like Tracy to survive. Also, Pathfinder looks very cool.

I feel like the Gordo stuff must be building up to something catastrophic? I don't like how Ed handled Gordo's panic attack though. I doubt Gordo's kid and Karen will sleep with each other - the Baldwin marriage seems very intact. Also I think it's one thing for Karen to say that she can handle it, and completely different when Ed almost fucking died flying a plane (Again), so I wouldn't blame her if she loses it next week

EMAW42