The Breakfast Club Yay!

Just heard that A.Ron has never seen The Breakfast Club....CRAZY!  I taught Group Psychotherapy classes at a local university for 11 years and every semester used this film for a class assignment.  I estimate that I've seen it in its entirety about 25 - 30 times...Looking forward to getting Jim and A.Ron's take.
MichelleWarpedCore

Comments

• CoryCory New Scotland
    Are they planning to cover it?

I wonder if it's available on any streaming service in Canada, been a long time since I watched it in its entirity.
  • Cory said:
    Are they planning to cover it?

Yes!  Look for it to drop this Thursday on Prestige - They announced it in the new 'This week on Bald Move'
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    I’ve never really liked The Breakfast Club that much, and I was the prime demographic for it, being 16 when it came out. It’s okay, but it’s probably my least favourite of the “John Hughes” John Hughes movies (I’m not including things like Curly Sue etc). 

I’m interested to know what the assignment was that you used it for, though, @DrCynPiz

(Also, I never thought about it before but I saw a chunk of it not that long ago on TV and it is really glaring now how white and heteronormative it is. It made me think about how much I’ve evolved from my own bubble because I have seen it a bunch of times over the decades and that has literally never entered my mind before.) 
    Michelle
  • Dee said:

I’m interested to know what the assignment was that you used it for, though, @DrCynPiz

(Also, I never thought about it before but I saw a chunk of it not that long ago on TV and it is really glaring now how white and heteronormative it is. It made me think about how much I’ve evolved from my own bubble because I have seen it a bunch of times over the decades and that has literally never entered my mind before.) 
    Hi Dee - I love that you mentioned how heteronormative it is.  That was such an interesting discussion in class. One of the assignment questions addressed the 'whiteness' of the group and asked what would be different if there were ethnic diversity.  Another asked about gender roles and assumptions.  There were also a bunch of questions about group membership, purpose, insights gained by members, group process (how members exhibit empathy, assign roles like scapegoat, achieve's cohesion and the moment they achieve it), what the students think is going to happen on Monday.  
    Dee
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    I wonder what a remake would be like. I’d be interested to hear what young people today think about it - is it really a classic or has it just reached that status because of hardcore Gen X nostalgia. My daughter is 22 and not a fan; she dismisses it as a bunch of rich kids with first world problems. Not strictly correct - Ally Sheedy and Judd Nelson’s characters certainly don’t fit the “rich kid” mould - but I kind of get where she’s coming from. 
  • ChinaskiChinaski Santa Cruz, CA
    John Hughes directed movies are suppose to be 'untouchable' for remakes. let's keep it that way! though i heard that they are remaking Planes, Trains, and Automobiles with Will Smith and Kevin Hart <eye role>.
    MichelleWarpedCore
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    Chinaski 

i heard that they are remaking Planes, Trains, and Automobiles with Will Smith and Kevin Hart <eye role>. 
    That’s gonna be a no from me.
    ChinaskiWarpedCore
  • MichelleMichelle California
    edited March 17
    Chinaski said:
    John Hughes directed movies are suppose to be 'untouchable' for remakes. let's keep it that way! though i heard that they are remaking Planes, Trains, and Automobiles with Will Smith and Kevin Hart <eye role>. 
    You can’t top perfection.  Yes there is a lack of inclusivity but at the same time, these are the cherished movies of my teenage years and will always be golden.  I really want the guys to do a John Hughes or Brat Pack-sequel marathon for the next Groundhog Day charity thing.  There are enough movies to make it happen!

-Ferris Bueller’s Day Off
    -Sixteen Candles
    -Pretty in Pink
    -The Breakfast Club
    -Some Kind of Wonderful
    -Weird Science
    -St. Elmo’s Fire
    -Less Than Zero
    and 3 more.

It could happen!

A_Ron_Hubbard
  • Michelle said:

I really want the guys to do a John Hughes or Brat Pack-sequel marathon for the next Groundhog Day charity thing.  There are enough movies to make it happen!

You and I would love that but I think Jim would rather be tarred and feathered.  
    A_Ron_Hubbard
  • Teresa from ConcordTeresa from Concord Concord, California
    Not just Jim <wink wink>
  • FreddyFreddy Denton, Texas
    I really want a "Pulpstige" shirt.
    A_Ron_Hubbard
  • Love this movie. Nice to see the boys cast this one. A. Ron saying he will probably not watch it again? I don't believe that.

Does the movie hold? Absolutely. As a period piece it was spot on in the childhood of 1985 white suburban kids. I lived this life, we all knew kids just like these people. Bullying was real. Pot was (and always will be) present. The Criminal, The Princess, The Athlete, The Brain, The Basket Case were all real. 

This shit holds up and is a classic and should never be tampered with.

A.Ron, I'm sorry you didn't get to live this part of your childhood. Please give it another watch someday. I am guessing that you have many other John Hughes movies to watch? If so, please do this and do it with the mind of an 80's teen. This is the way.
    DrCynPiz