Zach Synder Justice League

HatorianHatorian Dagobah
Figured I start one. Still watching it but first impression is man Bruce Wayne is a dickhead for letting Martha lose her house. I love how they transition immediately from the foreclosed property to Bruce flying in a helicopter then a $100 mil private jet. Also some of these like ballads or whatever are pretty bad. “The king. Oh the king. He’s the king.” The lyrics are brutal 

Comments

• Watched thru "part 2." So the backstory of Darkseid and the mother boxes is sort of like ... Lord of the Rings?

This thing would be 1.5 hrs shorter if they cut a lot of the slo-mo, but Snyder's gonna Snyder. 4 hrs, good lord!

It's certainly better than the original version, but I guess that's not saying much. I'll watch the rest tomorrow, will be interested to see how it comes together.
  • edited March 19
    This movie was pure Zack Snyder lunacy. Non-stop slow motion, awful needle drops, and some truly eye-sore CGI. One of the most unintentionally hilarious movies I’ve seen in awhile too. It started before the movie even began when that thing came up about how it was filmed to “maintain the integrity of Zack Snyder’s vision” LMAO *eyeroll*

It’s certainly better than the 2017 version but that bar is so low that it’s buried underground. My real nightmare scenario is that this somehow brings Snyder back to DC, which I shudder to think about.
    MrX
  • Teresa from ConcordTeresa from Concord Concord, California
    Made it through chapter 4. How dumb is the aspect ratio. I had to look it up to make sure it’s intentional. And @Hatorian you are so right about the music. Those lyrics are ridiculous and we were laughing out loud. I’m guessing they were written by a family member?

So far I can say with 100% certainty that this version isn’t better… Just longer.
    Hatorian
  • MurderbearMurderbear Cold Spring, Ky
    edited March 19
    EDIT: I started this before your comment was there Teresa! Didn't mean for this start off like a response to yours!  :D

It was definitely better but that was a low bar. And god as I am writing this a cover Hallelujah is playing over the credits. Perfect, Zak.

Speaking of low bars, one of the first shots of the movie is Lex Luthor in the Lazarus Pit from the end of Batman v Superman, CLEARLY not chest deep in any kind of liquid and it looked so terrible and the bar was set low from the get go. Some parts of it looked amazing. 100% cannot deny. Other things just looked awful. Some of the most simple things like Lois and Clark standing in a corn field and it's so blatantly obvious that it was green-screened. 95% of the movie feels that way.

Ezra Miller is by far the best part of this movie. Pretty much every scene is made better with him in it. I actually liked his and Superman's slow mo scenes. It was really overused throughout the movie. Jason Momoa made me laugh a few times too.

So many dumbass plot things and stupid movie logic problems too, the more you examine it. One thing that made me laugh is towards the beginning when the Motherbox was originally split up. The Amazonians take it and build this giant building with locks and heavy stone doors all designed to protect this box. The Atlanteans take it to the bottom of the ocean where it is on constant supervision by armed guards. And then, first off, mother fucking Zeus himself is there on Earth and no one thinks, hey let's give it to the Gods to take back to Mount Olympus. No, the men get it. Okay fine. What are they doing with it? I dunno, let's bury it like four feet underground. That's probably good right?

Also, why was this rated R? For two fuck words? There was a little more blood but I don't think the violence would have been enough to do it. With that said, Diana's last move on Steppenwolf is admittedly very satisfying.

And if you happen to be reading this before watching for some reason, go ahead and skip the Epilogue. Most of it is fine but Jesus Christ Jared Leto, please stop. This was certainly better than Suicide Squad Joker but still just bad. Bad bad bad. I hate it.

I know it's a lot of nit picking and hateration but the hype train was built so high, it was going to be very hard to meet those expectations. I did like a decent amount of the film. It just feels weird that THIS was the uncompromised vision that had to be seen.

Original: 3/10
    Zak Snyder's: 6/10
    RyanReesemanTeresa from Concord
  • edited March 19
    Made it through chapter 4. How dumb is the aspect ratio. I had to look it up to make sure it’s intentional.

Oh god it's ACTUALLY in 4:3? I thought people were just memeing about dumb shit Snyder does. People. There's a reason we got rid of 4:3. It sucks to look at. The Lighthouse, a movie I thought was interesting but flawed (mich like the director's other famous movie, The Witch) was ALSO filmed in 4:3 (ok, I just looked this up, and apparently it was 1.19:1, which, why, what the fuck), and it was also super annoying there. I get that people want to be artistically interesting, but don't do it in a way that just makes the film more annoying to watch on a modern TV. 
    Fuuuuck you. Just do it, don't say this.

asmallcat
  • Apparently the 4:3 is because it's all shot in IMAX ratio which is close to 4:3 but NO ONE IS GOING TO THEATERS RIGHT NOW EVERYONE IS WATCHING IN THEIR HOUSE WITH THEIR 16:9 TVs goddamnit Zach Snyder. I guess you could argue it's no different than an ultra widescreen movie with black bars on top and bottom but I mean come on.
    asmallcat
  • HatorianHatorian Dagobah
    There’s some 2000s level CGI in this. There’s a scene where the original Age of Heroes fight Darkseid and I swear it looked like an old computer game graphics from 20 years ago
  • Haven't seen the movie yet, but remember this: He didn't really want to go back to it. Fanservice pushed this and HBO talked a hesitant Snyder back into it. 

4:3 blows and it's not for his 'vision'. The article I read on Vanity Fair stated that he hopes to someday see this on IMAX? Makes no sense....

I'll be watching this tonight and going in with no crazy expectations. To those that did... well, you got what you asked for. 
  • lengmolengmo RTP, NC
    Other than Zack Snyder, are there people who prefer his movies to Marvel's?  It was just so ponderous.  Felt like watching a Marvel movie with the good humor removed and the movie slowed down to half speed.
    CretanBullCoryChinaski
  • Couple highlights for me (of the ridiculous kind):

The Scandanavian(?) woman singing the dirge as Aquaman leaves and sorrowfully smelling his cable-knit sweater.

The Flash putting a hot dog in his pocket in ultra slo-mo.
  • ChinaskiChinaski Santa Cruz, CA
    edited March 22
    i put it on last night to help me fall asleep. it helped.

edit: and 'ponderous' is perfect word association imo. well said @lengmo
  • MrX said:
    Couple highlights for me (of the ridiculous kind):

The Scandanavian(?) woman singing the dirge as Aquaman leaves and sorrowfully smelling his cable-knit sweater.

The Flash putting a hot dog in his pocket in ultra slo-mo.
    I was ready to turn the movie off at that point.  I made it a little longer and turned it off around the 2 hour mark.

• Garthgou81Garthgou81 Placerville, CA
    Not enough slo-mo. 
    HatorianChinaskiCorycdriveMurderbear
  • I suck.

I actually enjoyed it for what it was.

4:3? Yeah, not great but I did forget about it while watching.

Too much Slo-Mo? Oh yeah, too much, but it is Zack, so I let that slide. 

Emo Superman? Yep. Emo Superman. Sigh...

Ray Fisher and Ezra Miller were my favorites in the film. They brought it. 

Thought the soundtrack was pretty awesome.

It was left open for future installments, but working for Warner Bros. seems like working for the Waffen SS, so I doubt it will happen.

I am sorry I actually enjoyed it.
  • bizmarkiefaderbizmarkiefader San Francisco
    I feel like every single person I follow on twitter has had some version of "lol what kind of idiot would watch this movie. Nobody wants this. Here's my 40 tweet live watch thread." I dunno what I was expecting but it felt like a take on the Justice League by the guy who made 300 and that Watchmen movie. Definitely glad I could watch it in 5 sittings over a weekend rather than being in a theater for 4+ hours though.
    WarpedCore
  • I've tried to watch this twice and I can't get through it.  The first time I waded through the first two hours, it wasn't terrible but I found it boring.  I plodded on but at one point I checked the time and saw that there was still two hours left and I just couldn't do it.  I made a FB post about it and a bunch of people told me to stick with it because the second half was better and I'd quit right before it picked up.  I watched another half hour this morning and gave up on it again.
    Apparently the nightmare sequence is the coolest part and that’s towards the end
    I say we ban WarpedCorp and his weird taste in movies... ;) that’s the beauty of entertainment though, there’s a reason it has 70 something Score. Most people do like it apparently
  • Hatorian said:
    I say we ban WarpedCorp and his weird taste in movies... ;) that’s the beauty of entertainment though, there’s a reason it has 70 something Score. Most people do like it apparently
    I know! I am conflicted on why I enjoyed it. I wasn't one of the DC fans screaming for a better Justice League. I watched as a casual observer and left satisfied. So many DC movies have been ass, so my expectations were low.

Now don't get me wrong, this is nowhere near on point of the MCU, but I knew it wouldn't be going into it. Maybe that is why I give it a 6.5 in a 1-10 scale. 

EMO Superman does suck. 
  • I am extremely thankful to have a place like this to come and listen to people's opinions that actually make sense.  I've heard several people just raving about this movie like it's the best thing ever created and I couldn't have any more different reaction to it.  Was it better than the past version, yes but it also needed another hour and a half to do so.  And even at that, it's not that much better.  It gives Flash and Cyborg more of a backstory and more to do with the plot which benefited the movie but in the end it was still an absolute mess.  
  • awookiee said:
    I am extremely thankful to have a place like this to come and listen to people's opinions that actually make sense.  I've heard several people just raving about this movie like it's the best thing ever created and I couldn't have any more different reaction to it.  Was it better than the past version, yes but it also needed another hour and a half to do so.  And even at that, it's not that much better.  It gives Flash and Cyborg more of a backstory and more to do with the plot which benefited the movie but in the end it was still an absolute mess.  

I was surprised to see David Chen be so positive about it.  I still don't have much of a desire to submit myself to it based on what I've read, particularly the comments here, but I never expected him to be so positive for it.  Mind you, he's not saying its great, but he seemed to not be bothered by a lot of the things others have brought up.
  • Hatorian said: Apparently the nightmare sequence is the coolest part and that’s towards the end
    I honestly think it’s the worst part of a movie that I already heavily disliked. By the time I got to the epilogue and saw that it was 29 minutes or whatever the hell it was I was ready for my life to be brought to an abrupt end. 

I’m glad that Zack Snyder got to make the movie that was abhorrently torn away from him, and I’m glad that the fans of his who aren’t a bunch of shitstains got to see what they wanted to see, but I think Zack Snyder is going to be retired to the Michael Bay/J.J. Abrams/David S. Goyer pile of people whose shit I never need to watch again in my life. 
    Teresa from Concord
  • Hatorian said: Apparently the nightmare sequence is the coolest part and that’s towards the end
    I honestly think it’s the worst part of a movie that I already heavily disliked. By the time I got to the epilogue and saw that it was 29 minutes or whatever the hell it was I was ready for my life to be brought to an abrupt end. 

I’m glad that Zack Snyder got to make the movie that was abhorrently torn away from him, and I’m glad that the fans of his who aren’t a bunch of shitstains got to see what they wanted to see, but I think Zack Snyder is going to be retired to the Michael Bay/J.J. Abrams/David S. Goyer pile of people whose shit I never need to watch again in my life. 

I agree, the future post-apocolypse stuff was my least favorite part.

I think the Flash was the biggest improvement in this version, both his backstory and the role he played in the climax. I also though Steppenwolf was vastly improved - he looked better and had a better character arc. The ancient gods and heroes repelling the invasion in a flashback was sort of fun too. Darkseid himself did nothing for me, especially since it's impossible not to compare him to Thanos who had infinitely (pun intended) better character development in the MCU.
    I made a FB post about it and a bunch of people told me to stick with it because the second half was better and I'd quit right before it picked up.  I watched another half hour this morning and gave up on it again.

I dunno if the second half is that much better or worse but it did at least have more direction once they teamed up and had a goal. I don't think there's any reason to force yourself to watch it if you don't want to.

My biggest takeaways from this movie:

1. Disappointed they reused the Nolan Batmobile for the Synderverse. I liked that thing in 2005 because it looked futuristic but also all military-ey but that was back when I thought the future was going to be cool.

2. It was extremely funny when they were evacuating people that the Flash just kind of teleported around the staircase telling them to hurry up. Can he not carry people? I thought it was a classic Flash thing to instantly evacuate places.

3. I didn't really understand wtf was going on with Superman and what he does or doesn't remember or why he has a Hot Topic uniform now but considering how he instantly wrecks everybody's shit as soon as he feels like fighting I guess they had to do something to keep him out of the movie until the very end.
    CretanBull
  • edited March 23
    MrX said:
    Hatorian said: Apparently the nightmare sequence is the coolest part and that’s towards the end

I agree, the future post-apocolypse stuff was my least favorite part.

I think the Flash was the biggest improvement in this version, both his backstory and the role he played in the climax. I also though Steppenwolf was vastly improved - he looked better and had a better character arc. The ancient gods and heroes repelling the invasion in a flashback was sort of fun too. Darkseid himself did nothing for me, especially since it's impossible not to compare him to Thanos who had infinitely (pun intended) better character development in the MCU.
    WB’s refusal to properly set shit up is baffling. Snyder has burned through 4-5 iconic DC storylines in 2 movies that should have had years and multiple movies to build up to. How about you get a couple Superman movies and at least one Justice League movie under your belt, THEN you can start thinking about doing The Death of Superman storyline once we’ve spent a bunch of time with the guy and get a feel for his relationship to these other characters and the rest of the world.

But nope, we need to cram The Dark Knight Returns, Superman: Doomsday, and Injustice Gods Among Us into ONE movie. Oh and we’re also introducing Wonder Woman here for some reason, and she’s going to open emails that will introduce The Flash, Aquaman, and Cyborg. And then, without setting up any of the cosmic DC stuff, just immediately throw the New Gods into the next movie, as well is the return of Superman, and then set up the Injustice League in the post-credit stinger. 

Now I’m reading that the Flash movie is going to be based on the Flashpoint Paradox which makes no goddamn sense. Slow. The fuck. Down. Jesus, DC.
    CoryMurderbearcdrive
  • I made a FB post about it and a bunch of people told me to stick with it because the second half was better and I'd quit right before it picked up.  I watched another half hour this morning and gave up on it again.

I dunno if the second half is that much better or worse but it did at least have more direction once they teamed up and had a goal. I don't think there's any reason to force yourself to watch it if you don't want to.

My biggest takeaways from this movie:

1. Disappointed they reused the Nolan Batmobile for the Synderverse. I liked that thing in 2005 because it looked futuristic but also all military-ey but that was back when I thought the future was going to be cool.

2. It was extremely funny when they were evacuating people that the Flash just kind of teleported around the staircase telling them to hurry up. Can he not carry people? I thought it was a classic Flash thing to instantly evacuate places.

3. I didn't really understand wtf was going on with Superman and what he does or doesn't remember or why he has a Hot Topic uniform now but considering how he instantly wrecks everybody's shit as soon as he feels like fighting I guess they had to do something to keep him out of the movie until the very end.

1.  I didn't see enough of the movie to see the Batmobile  I've always been of the opinion that the Batmobile should be more like a fancy sports car that can reasonably blend in (but still stand out, ha!).  Like whatever car he drives when he picks of the Flash, that would be what I would use as the Batmobile.

2.  I had the same thought...why is Cyborg doing it at all?  Flash could have gotten everyone out on his own in just a few seconds.

3.  I gave up on it before Superman came back..I think one of the last scenes that I saw was the group standing around Cyborg's box when he shares his origin and the Flash says something like "I'm not gonna say it, but.." as they realize the box could be used to bring Sups back.

1.  I didn't see enough of the movie to see the Batmobile  I've always been of the opinion that the Batmobile should be more like a fancy sports car that can reasonably blend in (but still stand out, ha!).  Like whatever car he drives when he picks of the Flash, that would be what I would use as the Batmobile.

It should be black, have a GIGANTIC hood, and wing things on the back of it. That's the image of the Batmobile burned into my head from when I was a kid, and as a nostalgic 30 something they are trying to pander to that's how I demand they make it.
    MurderbearCretanBull
    @CretanBull I would say that it might actually be worth it to see Supes return. Just cherry pick that spot. After watching the others fighting with Steppenwolf the entire movie, it does legitimately feel good to have him show up and just beat the ever-loving shit out of him.
    CretanBullWarpedCore

It should be black, have a GIGANTIC hood, and wing things on the back of it. That's the image of the Batmobile burned into my head from when I was a kid, and as a nostalgic 30 something they are trying to pander to that's how I demand they make it.
    Agreed. 89 Batman and Batman The Animated Series are definitely the best versions of the Batmobile.
    bizmarkiefader