Loudermilk (Amazon Prime)

Well decided to create it. Gonna rewatch it and will chime in here. Let’s just say I know a lot of these various characters in real life. 
lengmoFreddy

Comments

• DeeDee Adelaide
    Loved it. Ron Livingston is one of my favourite that guy actors, as is Will Sasso. But I also enjoy all the unknowns, and I loved seeing Mat Fraser again. 

The first season Sam annoyed me because he was often crossing the line between lovable curmudgeon and nasty prick, but they seemed to have toned down a lot of his unnecessary meanness in S2 and S3, thankfully. (The scene I’m thinking of in particular was the cafe one where the guy moved across a seat so he and Ben can sit together, and Sam is such a horrible arse about it. Maybe I’m too much into the Ted Lasso cult, but that was an element of meanness that I really didn’t enjoy.)
    Hatorian
  • lengmolengmo RTP, NC
    edited August 1
    Loudermilk isn't Fleabag before Fleabag but it's maybe in the same apartment building, depending on what you liked about FB. 

In Loudermilk the biting humor grabbed me first, then the well-done material around addiction/alcoholism got me invested in the three main characters. 

Semi-boring dive into the show mechanics from my POV:
    Sam, like Ted Lasso, does like to hear himself talk but at least with Sam he has the excuse that he was a wordsmith.  The pairing of Sam and Ben is smart.  Ben takes the edge off Sam who would be too unpleasant on his own and Ben also propels the show into unexpected comedic situations Sam would avoid.  Claire provides an opportunity for Sam to interact with an addict one-on-one instead of just in the group, allowing him to dispense more personalized biting humor and help.  She grows throughout the seasons to give as good as she takes on all fronts.  The support group is a great source of comedy and an excuse for Sam to hold forth.

I felt the show ran out of good story ideas in the third season. The humor is still there but the plots aren't nearly as good. Still, two good seasons is two good seasons.

Hatorian
  • HatorianHatorian Dagobah
    Mugsy made season 3. Pure gold
    Dee
    I don’t cRe what anyone says. Cutter and Tom are a great storyline. Sucks they wrote Cutter out basically. Even if there’s a season 4 I doubt he comes back. 
    Dee
    I love how mugsy gets better at his comebacks as the season progresses. 

Season 1 they suck and season 3 they are pretty damn epic. 
    I love when New Guy breaks his hand confronting the guys who fucked with Mugsy. 

I’ll take a New Guy on my squad any day. He would be shit in a fight but 90% of the time he’s gonna get you out of it either by his craziness or pity. 
    Dee
    Yes this will be a running thread of me saying “I love…” and I don’t care…I’m speaking to myself anyways…
    Dee
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    I’m reading them!
    Hatorian
  • lengmolengmo RTP, NC
    Hatorian said:

I’ll take a New Guy on my squad any day.

His role may be as the biggest loser on the show but the actor gets to show some range.
    HatorianDee
    His plan to get a date with Rhiana is both hilarious and sad because it’s true….
  • Teresa from ConcordTeresa from Concord Concord, California
    I just finished episode 7 of season 1. I don’t know if this thread has spoilers so I read no comments and jumped to the end. So far this show only gets better…except for the Cutter storyline. Not only does it not got in the overall picture but the character puts me on edge. I get pissed off by his intrusiveness and pissed that he gets away with it. My only hope is he fades back into the background. Tom can stay if it shows he grows some balls and claims his ideas. 

Everything else is a 100% keeper. I worry that Loudermilk won’t discover Ben’s secret until he gets hurt. I like Ben. And Claire. She’s a keeper. 
    Dee
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    I’m kind of with @Hatorian on his No Mates Island with Cutter - I didn’t mind that storyline. I did think it went on a bit long, though. 
    Hatorian
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    edited August 3
    Also, I love New Guy. 

• DeeDee Adelaide
    edited August 3
    Can I also just say I really like the theme music (I can’t remember who it is). It’s very jaunty and when I watched the show I had it stuck in my head for days at a time. 

Edit: It’s Franz Ferdinand. And now it’s stuck in my head again.
    Hatorian
  • lengmolengmo RTP, NC
    In retrospect, IMO Cutter does fit in with other wacky elements of the show such as Charlie but his subplot felt more out of place at the time to me.

Up to me, I would have replaced most of the wacky stuff with more visual gags like Claire moving into her new apartment and sharp verbal comedy but maybe that would make the show appeal to a much smaller audience.
    edited August 3
    To me the Cutter stuff fits well. I’m sure there’s a ton of AA veterans who have had a sponsor like that. Maybe over exaggerated a bit. 
    Mugsy’s Mugs 

1. hilarious 
    2. awesome band name

Dee
    Just found out the actor who plays Mugsy has 3 stand up specials on Netflix. Know what I’ll be doing this rainy day. 
    lengmoDee
  • lengmolengmo RTP, NC
    I was going to suggest we chip in for a commissioned podcast on the first four episodes but it looks like the current price is $750...my $50 wouldn't go very far.
    Hatorian
  • I didn’t even know commission podcasts were back. 

I could be wrong but the guys never talk about addiction. They definitely don’t seem to have any problems themselves. 

Feel like it might be a waste asking 2 guys who haven’t gone through this stuff to comment on a show that’s only about it. 

• lengmolengmo RTP, NC
    Hatorian said:
    Feel like it might be a waste asking 2 guys who haven’t gone through this stuff to comment on a show that’s only about it. 
    It was more about spreading the word about Loudermilk to their podcast audience; I assume only a tiny % of listeners comes to the forum.

I agree they might not find the motivations of the characters personally relatable but if they can podcast about shows with aliens and superheroes they can manage addicts.

Hatorian
  • I’d throw in if we could get there but based on the life of this thread, I don’t see it. 
    Never suffered from an addiction and still love this show. Just finished season 1. Guessing Benn is no more. 
  • FreddyFreddy Denton, Texas
    edited August 21
    Halfway through the third episode and I love this show. I will definitely be using "it smells like two trashcans fucking in here" to describe bad smelling rooms as much as possible. It's the "this guy fucks" of Loudermilk. Not many shows get to wear that type of badge. 

It also doesn't hurt that Brian Regan plays a supporting character. That guy fucks.

Show of hands: Who watches Loudermilk sober?
    lengmoHatorian
  • Brian regan aka mugsy is the best character. Just wait. 
    Freddy
  • I've been meaning to get to this series for a long time...gonna start on it tonight!
    lengmoDee
    Halfway through season 2 so still not reading the full thread to avoid spoilers.  But hooray Bennn is back and Cutter is MIA. And do I detect a moment of Loudermilk reflection pondering that he makes everything about him? Would be interesting to see change on the horizon. 

This show is so good and I’m going to be so sad when I reach the end. Will there be a season 4?
    Hatorian said:
    Brian regan aka mugsy is the best character. Just wait. 
    I want that dart head picture from the bar so bad. It's up there with The Kramer and the Tony Soprano lawn jockey painting.
    Halfway through season 2 so still not reading the full thread to avoid spoilers.  But hooray Bennn is back and Cutter is MIA. And do I detect a moment of Loudermilk reflection pondering that he makes everything about him? Would be interesting to see change on the horizon. 

This show is so good and I’m going to be so sad when I reach the end. Will there be a season 4?
    I need Cutter/Tom resolution in the worst way. It's the worst storyline by far. All the more reason I need closure.
    Teresa from Concord
    edited August 22
    My new favorite line is "Fuck you, you brittle boned, half a mother fucker!"

Hatorian