HBO's "Ballerz" premieres tonight!

A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
I'm pretty pumped for some dumb fun with Dwayne Johnson to be honest.  Anyone else excited / hopeful for this?  

• Yep. Like Rob Corddry as well. Should be entertaining. 
  • kingbee67kingbee67 Los Angeles Ca.
    "Funeral hoes"
  • broompersonbroomperson the Iron Islands
    edited June 2015
    I did not watch this but im betting on

Poolside slow motion bikini
    Super violent unrealistic football
    The Rock shirtless

Is it any good and how many of these did I get?

• Its Entourage 2.0 pretty much. It wasn't bad though. There were a few cringe worthy parts. Namely the agent having sex for no reason when he gets called other than its HBO and they can. 
  • @broomperson you got them all... and that's just in the intro.  And actually, there wasn't any football outside of the intro.

I thought it was decent.  But I also liked Entourage for the first several seasons.
  • TravisTravis CA
    edited June 2015
    I have it DVR'd for tonight and I'm thinking it should be pretty fun. I'm also a big Dule Hill fan and I'm pretty psyched to have him on tv again starting next week. I was happy to hear Sepinwall and Feinberg say that even if they didn't really love the show, they thought he was good in it.
  • AndrewAndrew New York
    I feel like the acting in this pilot was fairly poor, but then again, breasts, cars, and football > meryl Streep.
  • I didn't dislike this, but if it wasn't for enjoying seeing Dule Hill on tv again I would probably have given up after the first one. There's just too much good stuff to watch/catch up on and it was kind of a meh premier in my book. That said, I'll give it another episode or two. Hopefully it gets more interesting.

• I'm really liking this right now. I love how they unfolded the plotline with our TWD buddy Abraham. That was hilarious, although first pitches are not something they televise live unless it's the president or a huge celebrity. A retired journeyman running back doesn't quite fit that. I'll let it go because the payoff was tremendous.
  • kingbee67kingbee67 Los Angeles Ca.
    This show has grown on me the last few weeks. This week with the Marlins game were some of the best. I still think that this show is a weaker version of Entourage.
  • FreddyFreddy Denton, Texas
    edited August 2015
    kingbee67 said:

This show has grown on me the last few weeks. This week with the Marlins game were some of the best. I still think that this show is a weaker version of Entourage.

Total opposite for me. I think it's a stronger version of Entourage, albeit not quite as funny. My reasoning is that I care about athletes' (former and current, and especially football) stories a hell of a lot more than actors'. 30 for 30 is just about the best thing ESPN has ever done, and Ballerz feels like a tv show made with 30 for 30 in mind.

Now for my unpopular opinion: I like Denzel Washington's son's work in Ballers more than all of Denzel's movies combined (Well, besides He Got Game, Malcom X, and Flight. Those three are great, and he made Malcom X one of my top ten).
  • edited August 2015
    @Freddy Holy monkey fuck! John David is Denzel's son? Nice. He is really good in this.

I also really enjoy the pro athlete cameos. It gives the show an authentic sheen. Victor Cruz has been a real standout.
    @AntManBee Yes sir! John David Washington, Mr. Ricky Jarrett himself, and to lend even more credence to the role, he was actually in the NFL as well. He's probably my favorite character.
  • mike_kmike_k Sunnyvale CA
    Wow, I had no clue but they sound exactly the same! Great call
    @ksa1001 Ha ha, I've listened to bunch of episodes. That podcast is great, even with it's nonsense premise.
  • A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    Whoa!  This news about Denzel being JD's dad is blowing my mind.  I've decided that in addition to adopting Chad Coleman as my dad, I'm adopting Dwayne Johnson as my big brother.  Never had one, he seems like he'd be a great one. 

I love watching this show, and I agree, it's better than Entourage, because it has a self awareness to it.  It examines the harsh realities of these lifestyles, but it never goes for the throat.  People get almost blackmailed.  They almost lose fortunes.  They almost get debilitating neural injuries from playing a violent sport.  They almost have to live with crippling another human being and destroying their potential.

Almost, and the music gets a little somber, then The Rock turns on his megawatt smile, and we're back to the good life.  It's like MTV's Cribs mashed up with Full House.