Only Murders In The Building

DeeDee Adelaide
I watched the first 3 episodes last night (I think it’s weekly from now) and really enjoyed it, although I’ve never heard Selena Gomez speak before, or seen her act, and that flat monotone she is doing is a bit too April Ludgate for me. 

I love all the little mysteries going on, the cameos, and I would like to have Steve Martin’s apartment, or at least his kitchen. 

Anyone else watched yet? 

Comments

• CoryCory New Scotland
    I don't know that I've heard Selena Gomez's voice before, and doubt I could pick her out of a lineup.

What's this show about, and where can I find it?
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    @Cory It’s about three people who live in an apartment building who set out to solve a murder in the building and create a podcast about it. It stars Steve Martin, Martin Short and Selena Gomez. 

It’s on Disney+ here in Oz, so I’m assuming it’s Hulu in the US, as that’s where our Disney streaming gets its “grown up” shows from. 

Here’s the trailer:

• I've never heard of it, but I live Steve Martin and Martin Short - and I'll give Selena Gomez a chance!  It's on Disney+ in Canada too.
    Cory
  • NoelNoel Dallas, TX
    I’m gonna check it out. I like Selena Gomez, she’s from the Dallas area and has a Mexican background. Gotta support my people! 

Dee you’re right about her voice though, it’s very monotone and she already has a deeper voice to begin win. It’s a choice, I guess.
    Dee
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    @Noel It’s a good show! Getting good reviews too - definitely check it out. 
    Noelkingbee67
  • kingbee67kingbee67 Los Angeles Ca.
    Watched episode one, never seen or heard Gomez in anything but know the name. She seems good as far as being part of the trio. Martin is fine Short seems like we seen this type played by him a lot. Even tho there was a cliffhanger I didn’t just keep watching. It was fine I just felt one episode was enough for the evening. I may watch more but I’m not in a hurry to find out. 
  • I watched the first three episodes and like it enough to keep watching.  So far I'd say that it's good, but not great and my overall view of it will ultimately depend on where they take the story.
  • ChinaskiChinaski Santa Cruz, CA
    had no idea this show was a thing. not gonna lie, my mind read ‘Only Members In The Building’ when i saw this thread pop up. 
    JoshTheBlack
  • bizmarkiefaderbizmarkiefader San Francisco
    Chinaski said:
    had no idea this show was a thing. not gonna lie, my mind read ‘Only Members In The Building’ when i saw this thread pop up. 

I had no idea what those words put together in that way meant until they said the line in the show, and it still feels really off to me. I can't tell if that's intentional or my brain is just broken.
  • Teresa from ConcordTeresa from Concord Concord, California
    edited September 3
    It could of been Members Only in the building. We’d all be digging through the back of the closet or goodwill to find those dumb jackets in order to enter. 
    CretanBullChinaski
  • It could of been Members Only in the building. We’d all be digging through the back of the closet or goodwill to find those dumb jackets in order to enter. 
    I don't have one, but I totally want a Members Only jacket ha!
    ChinaskiTeresa from Concord
  • bizmarkiefaderbizmarkiefader San Francisco
    Caught up last night and I started getting a lot more into it after the first episode. The cast is growing on me and all the podcasting stuff isn't nearly as annoying as I thought it was going to be. Tina Fey as the icon of true crime podcasts is great
    Two episodes in and really like it. It did take the two for Gomez to grow on me. I like her ok now. 
    CretanBull
  • I'm enjoying this one.  It's nice to see them lampoon some of the quirks of true crime.  

Is it just me or does Gomez still look like she's 15 years old?  She just turned 29.  I've never seen her in anything before apart from the first episode of Selena + Chef and Spring Breakers (which I honestly forget she was in.)  I wonder if she's a vampire or something.
  • I'm enjoying this one.  It's nice to see them lampoon some of the quirks of true crime.  

Is it just me or does Gomez still look like she's 15 years old?  She just turned 29.  I've never seen her in anything before apart from the first episode of Selena + Chef and Spring Breakers (which I honestly forget she was in.)  I wonder if she's a vampire or something.
    I had no idea that she was 29!  I thought she was like 21 or 22 - something like that.
    JoshTheBlack
  • ChinaskiChinaski Santa Cruz, CA
    she use to date the pride of Canada.. Justin Bieber.

Cory
  • Chinaski said:
    she use to date the pride of Canada.. Justin Bieber.

Wait, so he's like 30 too?!
    Had to look it up? He’s 27. And apparently he’s getting another documentary? Why?
    ChinaskicdriveCretanBull
  • Had to look it up? He’s 27. And apparently he’s getting another documentary? Why?
    Another?  I'm shocked to find out that he's already got one!  I don't mean to hate on the kid, I just never really got him.  And I guess by "kid" I now mean "grown-ass man".  Wait, if Bieber is 27, that means I must be (does some quick math in his head)....oh boy...but I guess that explains my sore knees.

Chinaskicdrive
    All caught up. The flash forward ending of episode 4 has me intrigued. I just discovered there are 10 episodes in total. Anyone want to start making predictions? They could be a bit spoiler-y. 
    Travis
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    Can we have a separate thread for theories and predictions if people want to do that? Reddit detectives ruin everything for me so if they suss it out and people here put their theories forward that’s all I will be looking for. I like to just go with the flow. 
    Travis
  • CoryCory New Scotland
    Started binging last night, well 1am this morning. After a brief nap and coffee run I finished episode 4, and before I could lookup when episode 5 would come out i was pleasant surprised to see it available.

It's been a fun ride so far, and Gomez hasn't been annoying as I was anticipating.
    Travis
  • I'm really digging it. I'm not sure if Steve Martin has had a hand in writing it, but that sort of super dry, goofy thing of his has really well utilized. That first scene with him on the street where we meet his character is just so Steve Martin. I loved it. I also liked seeing Martin Short have an actually kind of emotionally complicated and sincere scene in his arc. Story has my grabbed. I'm drawn in by the personalities. I've never seen Selena Gomez in anything, but I like her here. They all have great chemistry. I'm just really digging it. Can't wait for #5. I don't think they hit until tomorrow here, but I'm going to check. Thanks for the heads up, Cory.

CoryDee
  • Dee said:
    Can we have a separate thread for theories and predictions if people want to do that? Reddit detectives ruin everything for me so if they suss it out and people here put their theories forward that’s all I will be looking for. I like to just go with the flow. 

I'm into this idea. Even in talking about what has happened it's tough, not wanting to blow anything. The streaming era is particularly rough for this sort of thing.
    Dee
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    I am starting to wish I had waited for the whole season and binged it because I keep forgetting what has happened before. 

No clue what’s going on, I am just rolling with it and enjoying the humour. 
    CretanBull
  • Dee said:
    I am starting to wish I had waited for the whole season and binged it because I keep forgetting what has happened before. 

No clue what’s going on, I am just rolling with it and enjoying the humour. 
    I watched the first 5 mins of episode 4 and I was convinced I missed an episode because I was lost...like the things they showed in the recap all seemed things I hadn't seen before.

• DeeDee Adelaide
    @CretanBull I thought that was just me! Was tie dye guy ever mentioned before?
  • CoryCory New Scotland
    Dee said:
    @CretanBull I thought that was just me! Was tie dye guy ever mentioned before?
    Yup, in episode one.
    CretanBull
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    @Cory Okay, well that WAS me not paying attention then. 
  • Dee said:
    @Cory Okay, well that WAS me not paying attention then. 
    And me too apparently ha!

Dee