Squid Game

Just finished the first season. And here’s my spoiler free review-

ummm… What did I just watch? I mean…WTF! I am exhilarated, horrified, emotionally exhausted and disturbed (there might be a touch of PTSD in my future). Acting, writing, directing, cinematography, set design… All top-notch. OK, someone else’s turn now. I think I need a drink. 
MrX

Comments

• I'm only 4 episodes in, but man between this and Parasite the wealth inequality cinema coming out of South Korea is great. 
  • lengmolengmo RTP, NC
    Felt like old wine in a very shiny new bottle.  That may be OK because the film is aimed at a younger generation.  I suspect truly subversive material won't get many millions to be made and have executives OKing the production.
  • CretanBullCretanBull Toronto
    edited October 6
    I've seen the full season and really liked it.

Although...

I realized pretty early on that the old man was behind everything.  My first suspicion came from him appearing to the main character when he left the game, and then from how all of the games were familiar to him, how he knew how to win them etc.  When he was the one who stopped the overnight fighting (when he shouted at everyone to stop fighting, the black-mask guy sent in the guards to stop it) and then finally when he "died" off-screen I was absolutely certain.

I also figured out the black-mask guy was the cop's brother, although it took me a little longer.  I figured his brother had to be someone different or special in some way, but I didn't pick up on any clues that pointed to him being the black-mask guy, but one by one they eliminated who I thought were the likely candidates and we were left with him.

One thing I expected that didn't happen...I thought that maybe the old man was setting up the elites and I anticipated the 6th game involving the contestants turning on the elites and killing them - I thought that was going to be the source of the prize money.
  • What did everyone think of episode 6 Gganbu aka the one with the marbles? I thought it was a beautiful hour of tv, from the way it was shot with the fake "magic hour" sunset lighting to the really emotional conversations stemming from the pairings, and how those ended up, oof.
  • bizmarkiefaderbizmarkiefader San Francisco
    MrX said:
    What did everyone think of episode 6 Gganbu aka the one with the marbles? I thought it was a beautiful hour of tv, from the way it was shot with the fake "magic hour" sunset lighting to the really emotional conversations stemming from the pairings, and how those ended up, oof.

I thought it was good but I was surprised to see all the buzz about it being one of the best episodes of TV all year for a lot of people. Maybe it was because we watched the last 6 episodes in one sitting and they blur together, the stuff with the older guy really hit me but the rest of it didn't do much.
  • Teresa from ConcordTeresa from Concord Concord, California
    So I kept hearing how great this is and it’s a must watch. Finally had the chance to start watching. And now I’m wondering why nobody is comparing this to Battle Royal? Practically a copy. It’s good but disappointed it’s just another remake. 
  • MrXMrX CO
    edited October 16
    So I kept hearing how great this is and it’s a must watch. Finally had the chance to start watching. And now I’m wondering why nobody is comparing this to Battle Royal? Practically a copy. It’s good but disappointed it’s just another remake. 

Pretty much every review I've read compares it to Battle Royale, The Long Walk, Running Man, etc. Certainly not an original concept but very well done in this case.

IMO it's resonating with people due to the novel structure/design of the games (obliviously similar to Royale, but also distinctive in that it's not just an all out battle to kill each other from the jump ... Hunger Games is a much more direct copy IMO), the great acting performances, and the way they're able to develop the characters pretty efficiently. With episode 2 being set almost entirely in the real world outside of the game (and fittingly titled "Hell") they were able to do a lot to make us invest in the main group. The underlying themes of class and debt also seem to be a strong undercurrent in Korean media (see: Parasite) and I think that resonates across cultures these days.
    CretanBull
  • I haven’t seen the show yet, but i hear it could have been valled Crazy poor asians