Massive Twitch Leak

CretanBullCretanBull Toronto
edited October 6 in General
Has anyone else been following this story today?  A hacker got and dumped a whole bunch of Twitter data, most of the attention has been focused on how much the top streamers make.  People's reactions have been really...odd?  It seems as if tons of people didn't realize that top witch streamers were rich.

Comments

• cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
    People get paid multi-millions of dollars to play FUCKING DUNGEONS AND DRAGONS!!!!

rkcrawf
  • cdrive said:
    People get paid multi-millions of dollars to play FUCKING DUNGEONS AND DRAGONS!!!!

That's a life goal for me ha!  Their lifetime Twitch earnings is $37 million, they make millions more from Youtube, merch etc and have their own cartoon coming out on Amazon (the first season of which was paid for by an $11 million kickstarter!).
    cdrive
  • bizmarkiefaderbizmarkiefader San Francisco
    The discourse around it is pretty ridiculous, these top streamers are entertainers at the top of a gigantic industry and people are mad that they're... not poor? It's like everyone who tips or subs for 5 a month needs to believe their contribution is keeping them off the street rather than just as supporting content they frequently watch and like a lot. The vast majority of them have the subscription numbers right above their damn face most of the time too, none of this is a shocking revelation.

What I do agree with is that the more mid level streamers are important to the platform even if they don't pull in the massive subscription numbers and given the resources of a platform like Twitch (or YouTube, etc) you shouldn't have to be one of the top like 200 creators or so to be successful. It'll be really interesting to see what comes out of people digging through the algorithms and the rest of the leaks to see what they *really* value over there.
    CretanBull
  • I'm a fan of Hasanabi and he's taken so much shit today, he's been the target of most people's anger because he promotes social-democratic policies but makes a couple of million a year.  He went through the same crap when he bought a house a couple of months ago.
    bizmarkiefader
  • Was hoping to see Bald Move on the list. I mean, we're averaging 80-110K people every Sci-Fi Sunday!!
  • rkcrawf said:
    Was hoping to see Bald Move on the list. I mean, we're averaging 80-110K people every Sci-Fi Sunday!!
    The bottom earning channel that was part of the leak made $55k (lifetime)...BM isn't there yet!
  • JoshTheBlackJoshTheBlack Atlanta, GA
    Anywhere to see that payout info collated?  Past the top 100 earners?  Or does one need to download 125gb of data and collate it themselves?
  • CretanBullCretanBull Toronto
    edited October 12
    Anywhere to see that payout info collated?  Past the top 100 earners?  Or does one need to download 125gb of data and collate it themselves?
    I'll send you a PM

Edit: As it turns out, I won't - I thought I could attach a file to a PM but I can't.

If you PM me your e-mail address, I can send you the list of the top 9995 Twtich streamer's lifetime earnings.  It ranges from Critical Role at the top making $37 million and someone named TL_Nero at the bottom with $55k earnings.

The other lists that I've seen, earnings over the last two years and earnings over the last month were both top 100.  I haven't downloaded the entire file dump....I'm a little nosey, but not that interested ha!