What Other Podcasts Do You Listen To?

Comments

• @hypergenesb Yeah, I'm totally with you on Revisionist History. One of my favorite things running right now. I'm really bummed that the next one is going to be the last for the season. I just love the way he comes at things. The way he weaves it all together. Not surprising given that he's Malcolm F'n Gladwell, but man that dude has a gift for narrative. I really highly recommend it to anyone who is into that sort of thing and hasn't tried it out yet.

hypergenesb
  • Figured I would launch the news here: My new political podcast is coming soon!!!! Spoiler alert: about half of it is going to be the sound of me scratching my head and the other half is going to be the sound of me crying in a really hot shower.
    AndrewDaveyMacMichelle
  • A few podcasts I'm really enjoying right now are:
    Revisionist History- I could listen to Malcolm Gladwell all day long.

Casefile- True crime stories. The host is very good and I've binged most of the episodes.

The Way I Heard It w/ Mike Rowe.- Told in a Paul Harvey style, and very well done, I believe.

Untold, The Daniel Morgan Murder- A Serial type podcast about the murder of a PI in England. The season just finished but updates on the case are planned for the future.

Hardcore History- Relistening to Countdown to Armageddon right now. Great stuff.
    Travis
  • @36Mick Yeah, I've been looking at that last episode of Revisionist History in my queue and I've been really hesitant to listen to it because I don't want the season to end. I hope he comes back with more sooner than later. I really love that cast. I figure if I hold off for a bit I can shorten the bridge to the hopeful season 2 even just a bit.

I've also been consuming a TON of Carlin lately. I got curious about how he sounded around 2008 and with that election so I bought one of his collections and I've been going through that and having a lot of fun with it. I also really enjoyed the wrap up on the King of Kings, and I just started getting back into the Wrath of the Khans. Great stuff.

36Mick
  • Just started Revolutions- seems good so far.  A different Revolution every season, there's the Glorious, American, French, Haitian, and Latin America so far.  I'm starting the American Revolution now and it's pretty interesting, but I'm not expert.  
    April_May_June
  • Just started Revolutions- seems good so far.  A different Revolution every season, there's the Glorious, American, French, Haitian, and Latin America so far.  I'm starting the American Revolution now and it's pretty interesting, but I'm not expert.  

Revolutions is awesome! So great!
    I haven't listened to the Haitian or Latin America ones yet, but I'm a huge history fan, and loved the English, American, and French seasons!

I just started listening to Remarkable Lives, Tragic Deaths, which tells the stories of various historical people like Rasputin, Alexander Hamilton, Kurt Cobain, Gandhi, and more.
    They do voices, which could be super gimmicky, but they manage to pull it off. It's worth checking out.

• A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    Travis said:

@hypergenesb Yeah, I'm totally with you on Revisionist History. One of my favorite things running right now. I'm really bummed that the next one is going to be the last for the season. I just love the way he comes at things. The way he weaves it all together. Not surprising given that he's Malcolm F'n Gladwell, but man that dude has a gift for narrative. I really highly recommend it to anyone who is into that sort of thing and hasn't tried it out yet.

It's a slow burn of a podcast.  The first two or three I felt like I had to make myself listen to them for 10-15 minutes until he pivots into something that grabbed me, but then Carlos Can't Remember and Generous Orthodoxy got things pretty dusty in the car.  His three part series kicking off with Carlos is one of the most damning / enlightening looks into American culture since The Wire. 
    ryanfosterTravisunreadhypergenesb
  • Travis said:

@hypergenesb Yeah, I'm totally with you on Revisionist History. One of my favorite things running right now. I'm really bummed that the next one is going to be the last for the season. I just love the way he comes at things. The way he weaves it all together. Not surprising given that he's Malcolm F'n Gladwell, but man that dude has a gift for narrative. I really highly recommend it to anyone who is into that sort of thing and hasn't tried it out yet.

It's a slow burn of a podcast.  The first two or three I felt like I had to make myself listen to them for 10-15 minutes until he pivots into something that grabbed me, but then Carlos Can't Remember and Generous Orthodoxy got things pretty dusty in the car.  His three part series kicking off with Carlos is one of the most damning / enlightening looks into American culture since The Wire. 

I can totally see how it would be kind a little tough at the top of some of the episodes. I was showing the one where he starts off talking about the Elvis Costello album/song while we were on a road trip and he totally lost her interest and she asked if we could go onto something else. Maybe it's just because I can relate that I found it incredibly interesting, but that's a niche I can really appreciate. Anyhoo, you're so right about the education trilogy. I never really thought about that stuff and it was incredibly eye opening. Generous Orthodoxy was another favorite of mine too, and it shot a little dust/smoke into the vents of my car too. Great podcast. I hope season 2 gets here at least somewhat soon.

• Has anyone mentioned 'Sword and Scale'?

True crime podcast.  Mildly interesting.
    Vasilnate1cdrive
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • voodooratvoodoorat Atlanta
    edited September 2016
    i started listening to harmontown since i posted on here.  i got there a weird way (harmonquest=>rick and morty=>harmontown).

i actually have kind of mixed feelings about dan, but i really like spencer and jeff b davis and some of the guests.
  • voodooratvoodoorat Atlanta
    edited September 2016
    (a post so nice i made it twice)
  • I know @36Mick mentioned Casefile not long ago but I recently powered through this series. I found it very interesting but that also could be because I live in Australia and the majority of cases are from here. 

I thought some of the cases were great and shocking as well but some were just a little frustrating, there were also 2 cases I didnt listen to due to the amount of violence against children. The host doesn't spare any details which is a good thing for the narrative but sometimes can make it hard to listen to. 

Ultimately I thought it was a great listen and can't wait for new ones. 
  • For the fantasy football people,
    Fantasy Football Today is a pretty good podcast from CBS.
    I like it a little better than Matthew Berry's Fantasy Focus from ESPN (which is fun but has less analysis)
  • LukeLuke Central Illinois
    I've gotten sucked into Gilbert Gottfried's Amazing Colossal Podcast.

I am amazed by just how great it is. The premise is he interviews as many old celebrities as he can. Usually ones that are used to radio and TV.

Ths reactions Giblert gets out of people is amazing once they realize they can say whatever they want once he drops an F bomb or two.

I just listened to an episode where Bob Costas told his own version of the Aristocrats and then narrates as best he can a pg rated version of Giblert's most filithy joke. It was probably one of the most bizzare and hilarious things I have ever heard.
    voodoorat
  • I kisten to a bunch of podcasts. Recently I discovered two releatively new shows. Both are amazingly interesting.

Revisionist History
    Welcome to Revisionist History, a new podcast from Malcolm Gladwell and Panoply Media. Each week for 10 weeks, Revisionist History will go back and reinterpret something from the past: an event, a person, an idea. Something overlooked. Something misunderstood.

More Perfect
    Supreme Court decisions shape everything from marriage and money to public safety and sex. We know these are very important decisions we should all pay attention to – but they often feel untouchable and even unknowable. Radiolab's first ever spin-off series, More Perfect, connects you to the decisions made inside the court's hallowed halls, and explains what those rulings mean for "we the people" who exist far from the bench. More Perfect bypasses the wonkiness and tells stories behind some of the court’s biggest rulings.
    Travisvoodoorat
  • Til death do us Blart just released their second episode and had a mention of Jesse and Lovecraft Brewery surprisingly.
  • BigSmellBigSmell Raleigh, NC
    Just got into Doughboys and its quickly becoming my favorite comedy podcast. The hosts have the greatest love/hate relationship of all time. Really reminds me of U Talkin U2 2 Me? but with chain restaurants instead of U2 albums. Spoon nation forever, BABY!!!!
  • Garthgou81Garthgou81 Placerville, CA
    BigSmell said:

Just got into Doughboys and its quickly becoming my favorite comedy podcast. The hosts have the greatest love/hate relationship of all time. Really reminds me of U Talkin U2 2 Me? but with chain restaurants instead of U2 albums. Spoon nation forever, BABY!!!!

I look forward to Doughboys SO fucking much. I first heard them on Harmontown, and had to jump on board. They are the best frenemies ever. For a while it seemed like Mitch was just needling Nick for no reason, but as time as gone on, I've noticed that Nick makes some really backhanded comments and then backs off and acts like he didn't mean anything by it. Its fantastic. And it never fails to amuse me when Mitch uses "baby!" in a sentence. Its stupid, but just the way he said, "...but...I love icecream, baby!" had me in stitches. 
    BigSmell
  • BigSmellBigSmell Raleigh, NC

BigSmell said:

I look forward to Doughboys SO fucking much. I first heard them on Harmontown, and had to jump on board. They are the best frenemies ever. For a while it seemed like Mitch was just needling Nick for no reason, but as time as gone on, I've noticed that Nick makes some really backhanded comments and then backs off and acts like he didn't mean anything by it. Its fantastic. And it never fails to amuse me when Mitch uses "baby!" in a sentence. Its stupid, but just the way he said, "...but...I love icecream, baby!" had me in stitches. 
    As The Spoonman is the king of saying "baby!", Lauren Lapkus is the queen of saying it on Comedy Bang Bang. I highly recommend all of her episodes if you haven't listened already. I've noticed mainly UCB people saying it a lot. I guess that's the origin but I don't know, baby!!
  • Garthgou81Garthgou81 Placerville, CA
    BigSmell said:

BigSmell said:

As The Spoonman is the king of saying "baby!", Lauren Lapkus is the queen of saying it on Comedy Bang Bang. I highly recommend all of her episodes if you haven't listened already. I've noticed mainly UCB people saying it a lot. I guess that's the origin but I don't know, baby!!
    I originally only listened to episodes with restaurants that I was interested in. But now I've gone back and am working my way through their back catalogue.

A couple of things, first, I am not sure if you've listened to the latest episode--so spoilers (I guess?), it was pretty crazy/awful to hear Nick's opening where he mentions Hilary being the first lady elected president was particularly hard to hear. They taped it weeks ago...and things did not turn out like that, obviously. Ugh. 

Their competitions always end up being complete trainwrecks that are endlessly entertaining. 

Also, I'd say 90% of their guests sound incredibly high. I would give my pinky toe to be a guest on their show, it just sounds like they have a great time doing it. 
  • Doctor_NickDoctor_Nick Terminus
    edited November 2016
    Just listened to the first episodes of Crimetown, which is a new true crime podcast by Gimlet- I'm a sucker for Mafia stories and as a bonus I am finding out all about who the junior high school in Family Guy is named for.  
  • cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
    Generation Why

Crime, mystery, paranormal/lore

I like em

Listening to Diane Schuler episode right now
  • amyja89amyja89 Oxford, England
    Just started listening to a podcast called Hip Hop Saved My Life which I'm already totally in love with. It's fronted by a British comedian who has a guest each week, usually another comedian who loves hip hop, and they talk about their first albums, favourite albums, hip hop gripes, all that kind of stuff. One of the best parts is that the music they are talking about gets mixed in and I get to discover/rediscover tracks and artists. The humour is very British but it's a great listen if you are a fan of hip hop.
    DaveyMac
  • ElisaElisa Los Angeles
    Just started listening to Homecoming with Oscar Isaac and Catherine Keener - very good and short.  

@akritenbrink for Orphan Black, I highly recommend Solo Talk Media he covers the show in depth.
  • Any Tell 'Em Steve Dave ants also part of the Bald Move community? Fantastic podcast with some friends of Kevin Smith, including Brian "Q" Quinn from Impractical Jokers.
    CretanBull
  • Just thought I would toss it out there that Invisibilia is crushing it in season 3 so far. They've explored emotions and reality (part 1 of this was great, focusing on a town in MN where people were becoming very friendly with Black Bears and the town was split over whether this was a wonderful thing or incredibly dangerous). All 4 of the episodes have been incredibly interesting. If that kind of thing is your jam, I definitely recommend it.
    DaveyMac
  • burning through the adventure zone with high velocity
    DaveyMac