What Other Podcasts Do You Listen To?

Comments

• FreddyFreddy Denton, Texas
    edited December 2014
    Dee said:

@DoctorBell‌ I downloaded a random Cracked podcast episode (Disney Orphans) and it was really interesting. Thanks for the reco!

No problem. It's still a fairly new podcast, but it's already one of my favorites. Have yet to hear a less than awesome episode.
    Dee said:

@FrakkinToaster‌ Yeah, I'm not a fan of Joe Rogan in the least - he's such an overgrown frat boy. But occasionally he has some interesting guests on. The Bobcat Goldthwait one, for example.

When it comes to Rogan, I'm almost with you. He definitely does go too far with the meat head schtick sometimes, but that's just who he is. I think the guy has a good heart, and as far as well known celebrities/comedians goes, he's about as down to earth as they come. Really, the biggest problem I have with his podcast is that it almost always feels like it's stuck in 101. What I mean by that is they talk about subjects I'm interested in, but end up covering the same ground over and over again. Also, stoner talk gets old quick. Again though, I actually have to give him props since not only did I get into podcasts because of him, but his message board is the first one I ever really got into. Although... that place is an Apocalypse Now grade conflict jungle compared to this forum.

And yeah, the Bobcat episodes are great.
  • null
    5 star play boy
  • I'm a truck driver so I have a list but here are some of my favs.

Joe Rogan
    Skeptic tank with ari shaffer
    The 31
    The crab feast
    The naughty show
    Wtf
    Bertcast
    Pointless
    Punch drunk sports
    Watching dead
    Radio lab
    About last night
    Doug Stanhope

I have 3 podcast so far under my network.

The underground podcasting network:

Thanks for the invite with comedian Freddy Correa

Same as it ever was with Pat Shea

Live from the garage with Kyle Fisher

www.facebook.com/undergroundpodcastingnetwork
  • 5 star playboy
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    @DoctorBell‌ I can tolerate Joe. I'm sure he feels like he's a genuinely good guy, and he certainly doesn't seem to be a deliberate dickhead like, say, your Howard Sterns. He's problematic but he's not the worst out there. And when he has someone I like on I really enjoy his casts. I loved the Dave Foley one where they reminisced about News Radio and Phil Hartman.
  • I pretty much stand behind what he says. He's logical so that can cause a problem for some.
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    I wouldn't call Joe Rogan logical. He's got some bizarre theories and he's a conspiracy nut.
  • @TravisSmith I've just listened to Low Budget FM based on your rec... so far it's pretty good!
  • How he is a conspiracy nut? What examples do you have? I am dying to know. I listen to every show. It seems to me you are basing opinions off of a few shows.
  • Comedy Bang Bang is one I listen to constantly. Really funny program and a show I revisit a lot because there are so many memorable moments.
    BigSmell
  • @AndrewTobey‌ Glad you're liking it man. For me, it got better and better over time through just getting to know them (or their podcast selves) better. I think they play really well off of each other. It's a bummer, I was going to recommend my all time favorite episode, but it looks like it was before what iTunes is carrying. If you ever come across "Yahoo Answers: Faking Sick With Smirnoff, Party Bitches, Bulletproof Gorillas" that one is the best one in my opinion.
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    edited December 2014
    @Shane_Lives‌ Okay, well I'm not interested in an argument and I should have stepped back at the "some people don't like logic" passive aggressive jibe. You like Joe, that's cool. I have some issues with him but I'm not judging anyone for being a fan. I could go back and listen and find a bunch of examples of his conspiracy theories and belief in whacko shit like homeopathy, but life's too short. Peace out.

Edit: What do you know - someone else did all the work for me. http://skeptoid.com/blog/2014/02/05/joe-rogan/

But like I said, no judgement if you like him. Dismissing people as not liking logic if they don't isn't cool though.
  • ElisaElisa Los Angeles
    I'm a TV podcast nut so I listen to Gotham Blotter, AfterBuzzTV Gotham, Bald move TWD, Bald move GOT, Bald Move TV general, Project fandom TWD and Project Fandom The Strain, AfterBuzzTV The Strain, Project Fandom Geek in Review, Talking TV with Ryan and Ryan, Firewall and Iceberg (at times).

Leviathan Chronicles and We're Alive (zombie podcast)

Serial

Game of Thrones geekdom - A Podcast of Ice and Fire, Boiled Leather Audio Hour, Vassals of Kingsgrave

Football/Soccer - World Football Phone-In (BBC) and World Football (BBC News Service)

KCRW Morning becomes Eclectic (Best Music from every two weeks on this NPR show) and KCRW Morning Becomes Eclectic Today's Top Tune (daily music), All Songs Considered (NPR Music)

• @dee no argument here. Remember it's the internet, I was not being rude ;)

BUT! Brian Dunning, the writer of the article you quoted is a liar. He is facing prison time. Please go listen to that EP. Joe had him on and explained every thing and Dunning still lied about it in that post.
  • Ok, time for my big list. Here's everything non-bald move that I'm currently subscribed to with my own descriptions:
    • CAGcast - Video game podcast focused on deals, the industry and poops.
    • Clarkesworld Magazine - Science Fiction & Fantasy - Science fiction / fantasy short story audiobooks.
    • Common Sense with Dan Carlin - Politics and news discussion from Dan Carlin. I view it as a modern companion to his history cast. Nearly as good as Hardcore History.
    • Dan Carlin's Hardcore History - The best history podcast on the internet. Does a great job of putting you in the mindset of the people in each historical scenario.
    • The Feed: The Official Libsyn Podcast - Great info from Rob at Libsyn about the podcasting industry, technical issues, etc.
    • Giant Bombcast - Personality-based video game news discussions and reviews from guys who have been in the review industry for many years.
    • How to Start a Startup - Lectures from startup industry insiders (mostly tech and SAAS businesses) delivered as part of a course at Stanford.
    • Intro Machine: Building Better Podcasts - Technical details and practical advice on improving your podcast.
    • Lostcast - A game development podcast from a 2-man studio startup working in HTML5. Lots of technical talk but also a lot of high level startup business stuff (marketing, organization, etc).
    • Mission Log: A Roddenberry Star Trek Podcast - Haven't actually listened to this one yet but @FrakkinToaster‌ recommended it and I'm a huge fan of Star Trek. I subbed to check it out later.
    • The Non Prophets - A skeptical view of news stories and topics primarily related to religion.
    • NPR: Planet Money - Discussion of financial issues.
    • Orange Lounge Radio - Long-running (I've been listening for at least 8 years) video game podcast discussing news & new releases. I listen because Rob is a great host and Loki's rants are frequently hilarious.
    • Out of Continues - Stafa's podcast on video games. He just graduated with a game development degree and is looking for a job in the industry. The show is a little rough but his opinions are often on point and he's a friend of mine.
    • Quarks & Recreation - A guy and his 12 y/o son discuss science topics. It's far more informative and interesting than a podcast with a pre-teen has any right to be.
    • Radiolab from WNYC - Random stories from people around the globe with sound effects.
    • Remember When - In-depth TV & movie reviews from a couple of HUGE media fans. I like their personalities and how thorough they are. He's a good man, and thorough.
    • Rotten Tomatoes - I think everyone knows what this is.
    • Serial - A reporter who doubts the verdict of a murder case tries to discover the truth by interviewing those involved, piecing together the timeline and considering other evidence.
    • The Skeptics' Guide to the Universe - Science / Religion related news stories from a skeptical angle.
    • SlyCast - The Sylvester Stallone Fan Podcast - A podcast that chronologically reviews Sylvester Stallone's career.
    • StarTalk Radio - Neil DeGrasse Tyson and a comedian friend of his talk about cosmology and related news stories.
    • Still Untitled: The Adam Savage Project - Adam from Mythbusters talks about whatever interests him. It's often technical and related to building things.
    • The Talking Dead - Another good Walking Dead podcast.
    • The Walking Dead 'Cast Jason & Karen's Walking Dead podcast.
    • We're Alive - A "Zombie" Story of survival - An audiodrama about a group (specifically a dude) trying to survive an apocalypse of zombie-like creatures.
    • The Wolf Den - A podcast dedicated to building new businesses, specifically media-related businesses, from Earwolf.
    Obviously I don't get to all of these every week but they're all in the rotation every so often, depending on my mood.
  • FreddyFreddy Denton, Texas
    No baldmove podcasts on there, Jim? You should check those guys out, they do good work. Ha ha.
    bruwm237Michelle
  • FlashGordonFlashGordon Leeds, UK
    edited December 2014
    YES to 'We're alive' Jim and @Elisa‌ ,loads of good recs on there, i'll check some of the GOT & KCRW stuff out, maybe the football too but there's no shortage of coverage on that here
  • No baldmove podcasts on there, Jim? You should check those guys out, they do good work. Ha ha.

So I hear. That's my non-bald-move list.
  • ElisaElisa Los Angeles
    @FlashGordon‌ you are in the Premier league mecca there but I really like the World Football Phone In (BBC) because they really focus on everywhere else but England. You really get to see the trends and culture differences across the globe. And you feel that It truly is the world's game.
  • gypzymomgypzymom Portland, OR
    As a history buff I came to podcasts through Dan Carlin's Hardcore History. Absolutely love it! I only wish it were less than 3-4 months between his audiobook length casts! I miss the monthly treat!

Love Dave Dameshek. I'm originally from the 'Burgh as well, so his Steeler loyalty is great!

Intelligence Squared Debates. (And its Brit counterpart Intelligence Squared) always has fantastic, very high level experts and great topics. Consistently good.

Radiolab- it's NPR. NPR is not always my cup of tea but this particular podcast is really great. Some science based, some social science. Highly recommend!

Scandal Afterbuzz. Love the show. Good panel.

Based on A Ron's references I am giving the Nattercast crew a listen this week. They're pretty good. Though I find myself continually comparing to my beloved Bald Move Boys!

Finally, of course the entire Bald Move menu! Love the Because show girls. Didn't think I would. Don't agree with their few political references, but they draw you in. Really fun!

I am new to the forums. Love the suggestions! Will definitely be checking some of those out once football season ends and some time opens up! Lol. Here we go Stillers!
    Gypzymom
  • A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    I used to like Joe Rogan, but now I'm like Dee, it depends on the guest. He's still a phenomenal MMA commentator and I'd love to get a beer with him and shoot the shit, but his podcasts wear me out.
  • aberry89aberry89 California
    Do Ask Do Tell - current LGBT issues, UK based. Funny and interesting.
    Love + Radio - Really good mix of interview and storytelling of various people, all range of subjects - only condition is that they are super interesting and engaging.
    Cognitive Dissonance - atheists discussing currents issues, religion, etc, etc.
    Yo, is This Racist? - new topic each episode, and well, whether or not it's racist - humor, but with serious discussion.
    We Hate Movies - 3 movie buffs/comedians discuss really bad movies, from well known to cult. FUCKING HILARIOUS. like, really, fucking funny.
    On Being - Philosophical look on religion and spirituality, many different religious angles seen, from Christian to Voodoo. Very quality interviews.
    Oh-No Ross and Carrie - Two people go and experience fringe science and religions and talk about it. Very funny and VERY interesting.
    Throwing Shade - Two comedians discuss feminist and LGBT issues. They both write for Funny or Die, so this is some funny, funny shit.
    This American Life - we all know it.
    Serial - again if you don't know about this one yet...climb out from under your rock.
    Sawbones: A Marital Tour of Misguided Medicine - one doctor, one not, discuss how we used to treat things like pregnancy, syphilis, tooth extractions and so on. Shocking, funny, fascinating.
    The Moth - Stories told live at regular gathering around the country. Stories run the gamut, very entertaining.
    The National Gallery Podcast (video podcast) - National Gallery in London, talk specifically and historically about upcoming exhibitions, and well known paintings.
    Stuff to Blow Your Mind - scientific and sometimes philosophical looks at anything ranging from tattoos, silence, darkness, etc, etc. Really interesting, you will learn so much and be so entertained.
    Stuff Mom Never Told You - Women's issues current to historical. A scientific, social commentary look.
    Stuff You Missed in History - All that other interesting stuff we never learned in school.

I am an artist and am always trying to find more good art podcasts. I would like anything quality, but mostly people discussing specific historic artists, from ancient to modern. Would prefer more specific detail discussion rather than just very general discussion. Any recommends?

• The only TV show podcasts I listen to that are not Bald Move associated are The Knick by "Levi & Matt" and the GoT Cast of Kings featuring Joanna Robinson (I double up on that show since I also listen to the GoT Bald Move pod)

All the others are UK sports related, not sure if anyone would know what I was mentioning there
  • I listen to a few of the Afterbuzz TV show podcasts. Some are better than others, and some are like advertisements for the shows, since they want actors from the shows to appear on the podcasts. I also listen to Post Show recaps. I mostly prefer Bald Move because A. Ron and Jim tell it like it is, and I like how in-depth they go on the technical side of making TV shows and movies.

Plus, I love it when A. Ron slips and gives a good malapropism:

the mistaken use of a word in place of a similar-sounding one, often with unintentionally amusing effect, as in, for example, “dance a flamingo ” (instead of flamenco ).

Ha! Just having fun, A. Ron. Really love the work you guys do!
    AshleyOcean
  • Oh, and I forgot to mention. I am one of three people in the known universe who has yet to watch Breaking Bad. I know, I know. Leave me alone. Somehow it just fell off my radar and I figured I'd go back and watch it someday. Well, I was listening to the season finale podcast of Boardwalk Empire on Afterbuzz and the host frikking spoiled The Breaking Bad finale for me. I don't know whether it was the final episode, but it was a BIG THING THAT HAPPENED. The dude who spoiled it was the guy who runs Afterbuzz TV! I left an angry review on iTunes saying that real geeks and fan-nerds know not to spoil stuff like that. Of course, I knew it might happen someday, but still, for the most part, most of the podcasts and websites I visit know that some stuff still in the current zeitgeist should not be spoiled. I was so pissed at that...
  • broompersonbroomperson the Iron Islands
    When a show has just ended, especially one that was as popular as BB was at the end you gotta be on the lookout, and if you're on the internet at all you're always taking that chance of being spoiled. Especially when it's those douchebags at Afterbuzz. A.Ron spoiled the end of season 1 of Game of Thrones in a fucking Blue Yonder cast tho lol. But I'm kind of like A.Ron when it comes to i dont really give a shit about spoilers, I dont seek them out of course, but knowing plot points in advance doesnt ruin my experience. So hey, dont let having something spoiled stop you from watching Breaking Bad. It's an amazing ride. @hollyoak
  • Oh yeah, Broomperson. I agree. If one wanted to truly be unspoiled on a show they'd have to disconnect themselves completely from the interwebs. I was feeling pretty good, though, that I had gone so long without being spoiled. I will watch Breaking Bad, of course. And I'm pretty sure that spoiler is something everybody who was watching the series at the time knew was coming anyway.
  • MmmBopMmmBop United Kingdom
    Save it for the show. Chat, fun, random stuff but very well done. Mostly X rated.
    sistah speak walking dead & game of thrones
    Last ship podcast unofficial fan podcast
    cripples, bastards & broken things- another GoT cast
    - Dead fans talking..yep TWD
    The vikings by no ship network.
    Dead Inside ( walking dead )
    The talking dead .

Don't like Karen & Jason's podcast (TWD) although imo Jason is fine, Karen is super annoying laughing at inappropriate moments, for no apparent reason. Can't listen to her & I'm usually not one to criticise, so sorry!

Obviously the leftovers, walking dead & game of thrones as my all time favs from bald move. FYI - I miss justified guys.
    Emmelyne
  • broompersonbroomperson the Iron Islands
    Your Moms House with Tom Segura and his wife Christina is hilarious. Really big fan of Toms, his standup is great too.
  • Pretty much all of mine have been covered above, but I'll also add in The Biggest Problem in the Universe.

If you're familiar with Maddox's books, website and youtube videos, you'll know his "observational humour" is not everyone's cup of tea. The Biggest Problem in the Universe is a weekly pod where Maddox and Dick Masterson each bring problems to debate, some backed up with stats (Ebola Alarmists, California Drought D*ckbags) and some not so much (Burlesque Dancers). They usually have about 4 problems a week which can then be up/down voted on the website, which lists all problems previously discussed, essentially ranking the biggest problems in the universe according to up votes.

After 28 episodes, the top 3 problems are:
    Slacktivists
    Female Genital Mutilation
    Conspiracy Dipshits

Bottom 3:
    Fries
    Tesla
    Maddox