What Other Podcasts Do You Listen To?

Comments

• FreddyFreddy Denton, Texas
    @AntManBee‌ Really? The Jim Florentine? Have to say, his voice drives me up the wall and I've never heard a single word come out of his mouth that made me want to hear another. Whenever I'm caught up with podcasts, I'll cue up some Opie and Anthony clips on youtube, and after giving Florentine chance after chance to win me over, I avoid any of them that he's on. Can you post a link to a specific funny moment of his? I'm sure he has at least one, I've just never heard it.

Speaking of Opie and Anthony, all of Louis CK's appearances are on youtube. Something like 100 hours of content, and I would put it up there with any of the great comedy podcasts.
  • ksa1001ksa1001 Plano, TX
    @DoctorBell‌ I guess he may be an acquired taste. I don't mind his appearances on O&A. Him and Jimmy have sooo many stories from the past that crack me up. He's quite opinionated on many things like Fantasy Football, but they crack me up regardless, even when I don't agree.
  • @DoctorBell‌ Yeah, I agree with @ksa1001‌ Jim might not be for everyone. I love his appearances on O&A/O&J. And since Anthony got fired, he's been on a lot more. I'll try to find something for you, but if you can't get past his voice then there's not much hope.

The one guy I can't stand is Rich Vos. I'm sure he is really funny in his own right, but that's a voice I can't listen to.

I also agree about the Louis CK appearances. He's literally had me in tears at times.
    @AntManBee‌ LOL, Vos is yet another one that people either love or hate. He's a dolt, but he is VERY quick with the insults and comebacks. Hearing him and Jimmy throw each other under the bus is always funny to me. He's pretty much always the MC at every O&A related comedy event, from the traveling virus tours back in the day, to the current Patrice O'Neal benefits that Bill Burr throw in NYC each year. This year will be the first one I miss sadly.
  • @ksa1001‌ Actually, I do admit he was hilarious when he called in last week to argue with Opie about the Christmas present.

@DoctorBell‌ Norton wasn't in today and Florentine sat in for him for the whole show I think. You may want to check that out. I just started listening to it.
    @AntManBee‌ I found my point. No Jimmy = no show for me. Just those two didn't do it for me. Hopefully they will get better fill ins this week.
  • ZesderZesder Tasmania
    I've just discovered Podshock. It's a Doctor Who podcast.
  • ElisaElisa Los Angeles
    Does anyone know any good Vikings on History Channel podcasts?
  • http://www.thisamericanlife.org/radio-archives/episode/547/cops-see-it-differently-part-one

I just listened to this week's This American Life and it really stood out for me, it's taking a look at police and their relations with minority communities in the wake of Eric Garner/Ferguson really interesting and it's a two parter
  • FreddyFreddy Denton, Texas

http://www.thisamericanlife.org/radio-archives/episode/547/cops-see-it-differently-part-one

I just listened to this week's This American Life and it really stood out for me, it's taking a look at police and their relations with minority communities in the wake of Eric Garner/Ferguson really interesting and it's a two parter

Just listened to part one. Not bad, but it was more of a compilation of information rather than a fresh take on the situation. Gotta say though, the song they played at the end made me laugh out loud. It was a ham handed to say the least. Still though, I'll definitely listen to part 2, and I'd recommend to anyone who isn't already well read in the subject of police/minority interactions and controversy.

Any other This American Life episodes to recommend? I've known about them for a while, but this is the only episode I've listened to.
  • @DoctorBell If you like the work of William S. Burroughs, there's a recent episode about his life and it's narrated by Iggy Pop. It's very amusing.
  • FlashGordonFlashGordon Leeds, UK
    edited February 2015
    @DoctorBell Yeh it's definitely more insightful than informative, like it was great hearing that progressive Chief Flynn's approach to policing, reminded me of realistic version of Bunny Colvin in the wire, they hinted at it but I think next week will be the other side of that coin.

ha Music choices on TAL are , generally either awful or great, I know what you're saying.

Off the top of my head, these are ones that stuck with me.

'Right to Remain Silent' Another one on police corruption, NYPD from an insiders view, with the actual foul play recorded
    http://www.thisamericanlife.org/radio-archives/episode/414/right-to-remain-silent

'Iraq After us', just a great 3 acts spent following a good amount of time on the ground following the Iraq war in 2010 when it was considered won & winding down.
    http://www.thisamericanlife.org/radio-archives/episode/416/iraq-after-us

'Harper High'- Another two parter on how a high school deals with the stress/problems of being in area with a large amount gang violence and shootings, pretty heartbreaking.
    http://www.thisamericanlife.org/radio-archives/episode/487/harper-high-school-part-one

If you liked/heard Serial, you'll probably like this too
    'Dr Gilmer & Mr Hyde'
    http://www.thisamericanlife.org/radio-archives/episode/492/dr-gilmer-and-mr-hyde

'Giant pool of money' is a really interesting take on the financial crash when it was happening.
    http://www.thisamericanlife.org/radio-archives/episode/355/the-giant-pool-of-money

Sounds like it could be unbelievably dull, but the tension caused by a religious community proactively winning all the electable seats in their district school board, where none of their kids go. Their kids go to private Hasidic schools, they got elected in order to cut the budget & reduce taxes , pretty shocking at times, with no easy answers.
    http://www.thisamericanlife.org/radio-archives/episode/534/a-not-so-simple-majority

http://www.thisamericanlife.org/favorites these are their faviroutes, i guess it's what you're interest is in . Some of TAL I'm not so into

@AntManBee I had no interest in William S. Burroughs but found the podcast entertaining, it was interesting to hear how important it was with other people, i leaned towards Will Self's view personally.
  • CoryCory New Scotland
    Zesder said:

Just recently found a B5 rewatch podcast called Jumpgate.

Thanks, gonna check that out. Is it spoilerly though? I've been following along with a B5 introcast, my first time watching (called Downbelow).

• My podcast feed just refreshed and suddenly there was a new Firewall and Iceberg (2nd in as many days) and Chuck Klosterman on the BS Report. This is a wonderful development.

A_Ron_Hubbard
  • I just found a Carnivale podcast called CarnyCast. It's fun. Kind of a round table type discussion ala another of my faves, NatterCast.

I'm a big history nut so of course I'm all in on Dan Carlin's podcasts. It's hard to find history podcasts that don't just sound like audiobooks. The Z List Dead List is a great history cast about little known historical figures and it is comedic and well produced. A History of the World in 100 Objects is most excellent. Produced by BBC4.

Tell Em Steve Dave is hilarious. Fun Pop culture and current events by a couple of the comic book men and Quinn from Impractical jokers.

The Moth is fantastic but depressing as all hell.

Sword & Scale is cool true crime but is the darkest, most graphic and disturbing stuff I've heard in pop media. Super well produced. Cool music.

The HP Lovecraft Literary Podcast is great too. Two guys with great chemistry analyzing Lovecrafts stories and influences. They also covered the Yellow King stuff that influenced True Detective.

• FlashGordonFlashGordon Leeds, UK
    edited February 2015
    @steph_b I'm a big history nut too, not heard of the Z list dead i'll give it listen. I'd really recommend these 3

'In our time' Also from BBC radio 4 get's top academics on a period, sits them round a table gets them to talk it over.

The below two give a good narrative and really try tell a story, they're not as dramatic as Dan Carlin, who is definitely the best but I really rate these.
    http://www.revolutionspodcast.com/ Mike Duncan of a History of Rome fame, does the biggest revolutions, so far he's covered English, American & a good chunk of the french revolution

http://www.thebritishhistorypodcast.com/ It's the entire history of Britian, but it's largely been focused on the , post roman, Anglo Saxon period, great stories that often get ignored.
  • @FlashGordon , thanks, I check out the revolutions one. I'm already a fan of the British history podcast as well as the History of England. I'm most interested in English history between the time the Romans leave and the Tudor Era.

I just joined a FB group called History Podcasts and there are so many I don't know how I'll ever try them all but believe me I will try. Lol
  • @steph_b Great, yeh I love Jamie Jeffers such a funny guy. I can  never say what's my faviroute period, as I used to think the dark ages were a bit meh, but after the podcast & a few books it's now one I love.

i'l go join the FB group sounds ideal, thanks for letting me know about it
    steph_b
  • I'm listening to The Angel Rewatch - they're about halfway through season two so far, and are good.  (I finished The Buffy Rewatch a while back, and would love a good Fringe or BSG rewatch).
  • Anyone who likes Premier League Football (soccer) I suggest the football ramble. Just four guys talking football. They are touching on the MLS (briefly) as well

FOOTBALL RAMBLE
    https://itunes.apple.com/gb/podcast/the-football-ramble/id254078311?mt=2
  • If you like Bald Move for TV then you'd like 

ScreenRant Underground - movies
    The Cultcast - apple news
    Hatorian
  • The Adam and Dr. Drew show is great for anyone that used to listen to Love Line.
  • Jim, what was the zombie drama podcast you recommended?
  • ElisaElisa Los Angeles
    Jim was referring to We're Alive
    Original_Joseph
  • TaraC73TaraC73 Manchester NH
    My Downcast home page is JAMMED with new stuff. Thanks for all of the suggestions, baldies!!
    ksa1001
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    I keep trying to like the Vulture podcast and two out of the three people on it are interesting for the few seconds here and there they get to speak, but Margaret Lyons is doing my head in with her "valley girl on speed" babbling and constant interruptions and monopolising of discussion. I wish they'd either refine her speaking technique or replace her because it has potential to be a really good general TV podcast.
    pavlovsbellsteph_b
  • HatorianHatorian Dagobah
    edited April 2015
    I really enjoy the Screenrant (screenrant.com) podcast for entertainment news and reviews. Good group of guys and its a great way to stay up to date on everything TV and Movie related. Good mix of humor and insight. There is about 4 or 5 of them on each podcast and each one has a certain flavor and personal interest. One guy is DC, one guy is Marvel, one guy is Star Trek, one guy is Star Wars, one guy is Jurrasic Park, etc. They have a pretty long podcast that breaks it down to latest news, recommended shows/movies they are watching, reviews on TV seasons or movies, etc. 

I usually do not double up but I also listen to the Talking Dead Podcast. Believe that they are on good terms with the Bald Move guys as well. 

But without a doubt Bald Move is number 1!!!!
  • TaraC73TaraC73 Manchester NH
    Funny this thread bumped up - I listened to chapter one of We're Alive this morning and it was pretty good! Something to keep me busy, anyway :)
    @TaraC73 I'm hesitent to start that journey as there are HOURS of them. I've got my hands full now as is.
    TaraC73
  • pavlovsbellpavlovsbell Brooklyn, NY
    Dee said:

I keep trying to like the Vulture podcast and two out of the three people on it are interesting for the few seconds here and there they get to speak, but Margaret Lyons is doing my head in with her "valley girl on speed" babbling and constant interruptions and monopolising of discussion. I wish they'd either refine her speaking technique or replace her because it has potential to be a really good general TV podcast.

I agree, sometimes she sounds like she is on fast-forward, and she interrupts a lot.  However, Matt Zoller Seitz is one of my favorite TV writers, so I muddle through.