What Other Podcasts Do You Listen To?

Comments

• TaraC73TaraC73 Manchester NH
    @ksa1001 - I don't have much time to listen either, a couple hours a week while driving the kids around. It's interesting :)
  • A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    Speaking of driving kids around, I use a bluetooth earbud to listen to explicit casts while I'm driving my son to school, or when we're taking any long trip, really.  I can control the play back through my dash, so if he has a question or just wants to talk I can quickly pause, but if he's zoned out or playing his game boy I can catch up without him being any the wiser.   The only downside is I look like a bluetooth douche, but hell, I drive a beat up Vibe.  
    Original_JosephFlukes
  • ksa1001ksa1001 Plano, TX
    @A_Ron_Hubbard ahhh the Vibe, 2nd only to a Pontiac Aztec.
    steph_b
    Don't I know it. At least the Aztek had that sweet ass camping package.  
    ksa1001TaraC73TravisFlukes
    @A_Ron_Hubbard I owned no less than 6 Pontiacs, but never those two. Shame they don't make em anymore..
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    @pavlovsbell The first time I listened I kept checking the speed to see if I'd actually sped it up. So annoying.:-/
  • Found a little sample of Low Budget FM on youtube and figured I'd post it for the hell of it. Great, great podcast with three guys doing bits and shooting the shit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2KAS8AwivzE

Also, Daves of Thunder has been over for quite some time, but it is really good/funny and I was able to find all of the episodes archived with a quick google search. Definitely worth it.

• UnderwoodUnderwood Philadelphia, PA
    Just got into podcast in the last year but my favorite except for Bald Move of course :) are

1. Startalk : LOVE Neil, really like his main comedic sidekicks too such as Chuck Nice and Leighann Lord. The topics are awesome. Nowhere else can you acquire such a great understanding of how our universe works.

2. Nerdist : Incredible guest list. Chris Hardwick is a good host and knows how to conduct an interview in a "hey we're friends just talking about random topics" sort of way.
  • "How Did This Get Made" is frickin' hilarious and I highly recommend. They watch bad movies (both good-bad and bad-bad) movies and basically just riff on them the whole podcast. I started with the most recent episode - Con Air and got hooked.

OIther Earwolf podcasts are very popular and worth checking out(and rightly so), with Comedy Bang! Bang! being the most prominent.

I often listen to WTF and Nerdist, especially when the guests interest me.

Grantland Hollywood Prospectus and NFL Podcast, and occasionally the BS Report.

Hitfix's Firewall and Iceberg.

StarTalk with Neil deGrasse Tyson  is a good mix of science and often humor.

@MrX I'm pissed I didn't mention "How Did This Get Made"

That one cracks me up, I find myself re-watching the movies even when I know I've seen them many times.

The Demolition Man one was particularly horrible/hilarious as was the Cool as Ice one.
  • UnderwoodUnderwood Philadelphia, PA
    An example of how cool Nerdist is. I'm listening one with Vince Gilligan, and he was just telling a story *Spoiler if you haven't seen season four of breaking bad yet* of how he got Greg Nicotero and his team to come in a build a replica / sculpture of Gus Frings half blown up face.
    Spookycat4
  • steph_bsteph_b Austin
    @dee @pavlovsbell I just listened to Vulture and good gawd she is a fast talker! I've listened to it a few times before and honestly don't know how I didn't notice. Now it's ALL I notice! AAARRHGGGG. Im going out on a limb and calling it as an over-correction of vocal fry - which is the quickest way to get me to turn of a podcast.
    pavlovsbell
  • pavlovsbellpavlovsbell Brooklyn, NY
    I don't think it would be as noticeable for me except that she is a bad match for the other two hosts, particularly Matt ZS, who speaks fine, but in contrast to her, he sounds like that teacher in Ferris Bueller ("Bueller?  Bueller?") and sometimes I can't unhear it.
    steph_b
  • steph_bsteph_b Austin
    It is quite a contrast but she does have's some interesting things to say at least. She made some great points about the most recent episode of Mad Men.
    hypergenesbpavlovsbell
  • @steph_b @pavlovsbell less coffee would be a good idea. she sounded amped as hell this week. 
    steph_bpavlovsbell
  • steph_bsteph_b Austin
    I found it a zillion times more enjoyable to listen to than Firewall & Iceberg. I should really just read the stuff they write because they sound like the douchiest know-it-all assholes ever.
    pavlovsbellhypergenesb
    @hypergenesb @steph_b   I do enjoy the weekly Mad Men segment.  Maybe I'll listen to the latest one on speakers.  I have to do that with a couple of podcasts that I like, but I have similar issues with them (too fast / excited / excessive use of noise gate, etc) because if their voices go straight into my earholes, I find myself getting a little anxious.
    steph_bhypergenesbduncanpowers
  • steph_bsteph_b Austin
    I recommend it if you can stand it. I enjoyed the hell out of the Mad Men segment - which was the only one I listened to also. This week they only covered MM and that Last Man show.
    pavlovsbell
    I don't understand the praise for The Last Man on Earth.  I forced myself to watch almost all of the season, and it made me so hostile that I finally gave up on it.
    Travisksa1001
  • I don't understand the praise for The Last Man on Earth.  I forced myself to watch almost all of the season, and it made me so hostile that I finally gave up on it.

Agreed. I was interested after the first couple, but it just got increasingly redundant and not nearly charming enough to get away with it. I really wanted to like it, but I gave up about 6 or 7 episodes in.
    pavlovsbell
  • steph_bsteph_b Austin
    I didn't watch it - not a Will Forte fan
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    Ha, sorry @steph_b - you can't unhear it now! And I agree with @pavlovsbell that she makes MZS sound like he's on Valium in comparison. She does make some interesting points and she's knowledgable, but I'm sure the other two would have interesting things to say too if they could get a word in.

I hate listen to Firewall and Iceberg. Dan Fienberg does my head in - his "jokes" are more excruciating than Letterman's Uma-Oprah Oscars fiasco, he always sounds pissed off that he is paid to watch TV, and his mannered way of speaking (using full names over and over in a single sentence and saying essentially the same thing half a dozen times when making his point) make me believe he just loves the sound of his own voice.
    steph_bpavlovsbellA_Ron_Hubbardhypergenesbduncanpowers
    I marked Dee's post "insightful" so I wouldn't have to go neg on poor Dan again.  
  • Hi
    6-7hours per week commute by bike.
    At work I'm sposed to make small talk and not offend the customers. All day. Talking about the weather, the football.
    So for podcasts I go long and nerdy.

Carling- Great, had a thing with him for a bit, but he SHOUTS EVERY QUOTE that he reads out, in my headphones. Dumped.

Anything BBC. Good, but they speak so slowly that I scream. People stare at me. I can put them at 150% speed but not on a playlist.

This American Life, Snap Judgement and Bald Move are some nice exotics. Groovy accents, brighten up the day.

My top two at the moment are Australian radio podcasts which I wouldn't have time to catch in the real world.
    Sunday Night Safran is meant to be for youth. Safran is frustrating but I can't stop listening. On TV he used to get into dangerous spots exploring prejudice. He is Jewish and his co-host is an ancient left-wing catholic priest. They interview conspiracy theorists, white supremes, dissidents, extremists and people who've got a book out. The guests are diverse in background but united in their confusion with the show and the format. Father Bob will get yelled at by Safran for breathing too loud. Safran will stumble over normal words and Father Bob will correct him.

Late Night Live:
    The best cure to having a scary jock in charge of my country.
    Phillip Adams has been doing it for 25 years, 4 nights a week. Had a honey voice until the visit from "Jimmy Dancer" last year. Now he whispers. Sooo much better than the news. Guests from everywhere and everything.

Long live podcasts!
    Rach B
    FlashGordon
  • April_May_JuneApril_May_June California
    edited May 2015
    I've started listening to the Revolutions podcast because so many of you have recommended it, and am loving it! I am in history-nerd *heaven* !
    I've also downloaded all the Sawbones podcasts because of all the recommendations in this thread. I haven't started those ones yet, because I've been so rapped up in Revolutions, but I'm super excited about it.
    Thank you all for suggesting such great podcasts! :)

I don't understand the praise for The Last Man on Earth.  I forced myself to watch almost all of the season, and it made me so hostile that I finally gave up on it.

I'm sure the exact same thing that made you hostile tickles me just right. I love shows in that vein where you have an inherently unlikable family/character and various situations built to make you as uncomfortable as possible. From Curb Your Enthusiasm, Arrested Development all the way through to The Comeback and Eastbound & Down. Love it, love it, love it.
  • FreddyFreddy Denton, Texas
    edited May 2015
    Just started listening to Analyze Phish tonight after discussing how I don't like Phish with a friend of mine that loves them. The premise is Harris Wittels (writer on Parks and Rec, The Sarah Silverman Program, and Eastbound and Down) tries to convince Scott Aukerman (writer on Mr. Show and host of Comedy Bang! Bang!) that Phish is actually a good band. Only 4 episodes in and it's easily the funniest podcast I've ever listened to (over a thousand episodes worth of experience spread over God knows how many different podcasts). No exaggeration.
    kingbee67
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    I discovered Book Riot and All The Books via this thread, does anyone have any recos for other book podcasts? I'm not interested in interview style ones, more reviews, new book releases, book news kind of things.
  • Anyone else listen to Filmspotting?  I started in 2005 or 2006 and still check in regularly.

hypergenesb
  • I listen to Film Sack. Great little podcast talking about and making fun of old movies.
    Freddy