What Other Podcasts Do You Listen To?

Comments

• Halo fans should check out the Hunt the Truth podcast. It's a bunch of Serial style audio recordings from a reporter researching the truth about Master Chief, and it's really well done.
  • Keegan-Michael Key, Cobie Smulders (Robin from HIMYM), and Raj from Silicon Valley are all in it, and I believe it's produced by 343 (aka new Bungie), who did Halo 4 and 5.
  • aberry89aberry89 California
    edited August 2015

"Lore"  - and I'm quoting from his site - " a podcast about folklore. The people, places, and things of our darkest nightmares all have real facts at their core. Each episode of Lore looks into a uniquely scary tale and uncovers the truth of what’s behind it. Sometimes the truth is more frightening than fiction."

It's expertatly produced with beautiful music and the writing is not rambling but storytelling. It's never is too short, nor does it go on for too long. And it leaves that little squirm in your stomach that all good scary stories leave.

Highly, highly recommend it.   Also recommend, listen to it at dusk or nighttime, really sets the mood :)   
    ---> http://www.lorepodcast.com/

TravisAntManBeeelgat0
  • @Doctor_Nick I'm a regular Filmspotting listener. I've been listening to the since 2008 or so. Great show even if I disagree with them quite a bit. I love that they only do one in-depth review a week rather than trying to catch everything that's out. The marathons and top-five lists have also introduced me to tons of films I otherwise may have missed.

I also enjoy Sound Opinions, the musical equivalent to Filmspotting, which is also WBEZ.
    Doctor_Nick
  • I'll second the opinion and try to put the word out for the Flop House Podcast. It's a fortnightly bad movie podcast that has some of the sickest riffs out there. Try it out, they just put out a highlight episode of some of the best moments of the first 75 episodes.
  • The Professional Left with Driftglass and Blue Gal is a favorite of mine and they do a Science Fiction segment at the end.  I love the Talking Dead & Watching the Americans, Natter Cast, Pop Culture Happy Hour & Rob Has a Podcast.  Bald Move podcasts are of course, the best.  
  • LukeLuke Central Illinois
    For Trek fans I know Mission Log was mentioned several times.

I also highly recommend Trek Cast and Transporter Room 3. Both are shows that do random trek stuff that are done by true fans.

I also listen to the Retro RPG podcast. Basically just two friends playing old RPGs, but thier off topic rants are fun. They don't put out a ton of content, but they have been doing it for like 6 years.

I also listen to Rogan, but end up fast forwarding through a lot of his rants, dude is definitely an actor in Hollywood no matter what he pretends to be. He tends to jump on the Hollywood liberal groupthink a bit too much for my taste.

Good game podcasts are so hard to find. So many are just news podcasts which in the age of Reddit don't really interest me.
  • I've been listening to We're Alive and enjoying it well enough, but I was wondering if anyone has any recommendations of good casts in that vein. Podcasts that are more or less stories (preferably serialized, but not a necessity) with voice acted performances as opposed to a constant narrator. Does anyone know any good ones?
    Elisa
  • ElisaElisa Los Angeles
    @Travis I recommend Chasing the Bard and Leviathan Chronicles for audio dramas.  Unfortunately there are not too many out there. Friends of mine have recommended The Black Tapes, Lore, The Kingery, Fetidus, Sword & Scale and the Last podcast on the Left but I haven't had a chance to listen yet.  They are in my queue.
    Travis
  • @Elisa Thanks! I'll check into those. I appreciate the advice. For what it's worth, I just tried Lore the other day and it is fantastic. It's from a storyteller perspective and isn't an audio drama, but I basically listened to all 11 or 12 episodes within a couple of days. It's very good. Thanks again!
    Elisa
  • I can't stand it when Dan Feinberg opens the HitFix Firewall and Iceberg podcast with "Hello, boys and girls." It just annoys the hell out of me. Don't call people "boys and girls."
    Dee
  • Here are a few I started listening to since I last posted on this thread:

Not Great, Pod! - They only cover the last season Mad Men, but I thought they did a great job of it.

Race Wars - comedians Sherrod Small and Kurt Metzger have a weekly discussion, usually involving race issues, with a diverse group of guests.

The Sparkwood and 21 - Thanks to the Holy Smoke commissioned podcast, I heard about this Twin Peaks podcast. They do a nice job with their own episode by episode coverage.
    Emmelyne
  • kingbee67kingbee67 Los Angeles Ca.

I've been hitting up some vlogs recently. I usually get them on my Facebook account. Most of mine are about Disneyland, but I have been watching one from Adam The Woo. He lives near me in Orange County, he does Disneyland videos plus he goes to weird places such as when he snuck into the abandoned Six Flags that was destroyed by Hurricane Katrina. 

As far as podcast I have been listening to a Skyrim Addict Podcast. They also have a new Fallout one, and they have a good Facebook thing too. 

I always like to leave a sample, although I can't figure how to post it so that you can see the preview on the post. I can only post the link ATM.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sk8HE52uFSU

• ArctorArctor The Netherlands
    Alright, here's my list:

1) The Dollop - Comedic take on (mostly) American history stories, utterly hilarious

2) The Biggest Problem in the Universe - Comedy with Maddox and Dick Masterson, fierce debate and shenanigans

3) Point Versus Point - Comedy/sketch discussions on news stories (They also have some short youtube content. For example...)
  • FreddyFreddy Denton, Texas

I listen to Film Sack. Great little podcast talking about and making fun of old movies.

Ha ha, just checked their website, and first thing I searched was "Big
    Trouble in Little China". 5 minutes in and already loving it.
    ryanfoster
  • kingbee67kingbee67 Los Angeles Ca.
    I somehow thru Facebook added a page called Birth. Movies. Death. They post stuff on entertainment mostly movies and such. They seem to focus on Horror from what I see but I wanted to add a post to the forums here to inform people who might not know about this. I searched around and found they have a podcast. I'm listening to it as I post this, so I don't know if it is good or not but I think it is worth a try. Here is the trailer they posted on that got me into there thing. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQXmlf3Sefg
  • I'm a big fan of the Birth. Movies. Death. Film Crit Hulk columns. I had no idea they had a podcast. Will definitely check it out.
  • FreddyFreddy Denton, Texas
    @ryanfoster Alright pal, thanks a lot for mentioning Film Sack. Now I'll never have time to listen to any other podcasts. Ha ha.
    ryanfoster
  • @Freddy
    Ha! Yeah, they are a riot. I only listen to ones where I've actually seen the movie, but I've seen a lot of them.
  • @ryanfoster @Freddy I'm listening to the one about Night of the Comet. Real entertaining.

Thanks for the rec!
    ryanfoster
  • MmmBopMmmBop United Kingdom
    WestCoastProject For Halt & Catch Fire is fantastic. I also love their take on The Americans.
    Elisa
  • I downloaded every Walking Dead podcast I could find, and listened to all of them. I enjoy most of them, but only Bald Move and Sistah Speak Nation make me really laugh. They're the only two podcasts, I expanded my listening from TWD to their other shows, Game of Thrones, for both, Justified from Bald Move. My favorite thing about both, id they call BS, BS. They don't sugar coat what's wrong in episodes. The time spent listening to both, flies by.
    Elisa
  • DrKenDrKen Chicago
    edited August 2015
    I've only recently gotten into long-form improv podcasts and struck on a vein of podcasts that are hilarious.

The best is the Andy Daly Podcast Pilot Project (he also stars on Review which is a very funny show).  The Dalton Wilcox and August Lindt episodes might be the funniest podcasts I've ever heard.
    Superego
    Pistol Shrimps Radio
    Spontanenation - Paul F. Tompkins weekly improv show.

But, I just found this one behind the Howl.fm pay wall but you can get a week free trial.  It might strike a chord with some here.  It's called Hardcore Game of Thrones.  It's a guy doing a dead-on impression and parody of Dan Carlin and Hardcore History only using Game of Thrones as the subject.  I'm only halfway through the first of 5 two-hour long episodes but it's pretty funny, not necessarily in a laugh out loud sense, but just weird to hear what sounds like Dan Carlin doing Game.  The guy (Alex Berg) does a great job on the impression.
    steph_b
  • I just started this really obscure podcast that I'm sure nobody in here knows about, and it's totally good. It's this crime drama called Serial and, really guys you should look it up and give it a shot. Maybe leave those plucky upstarts an iTunes review. You're welcome in advance because I'm sure you'll all really dig it.

Seriously though, I'm really late to that particular party, but DAMN! I'm about halfway through and it's totally killing my work day because I can neither turn it off nor stop paying close attention to it.

ksa1001
  • I've been listening to "You Must Remember This", which is a podcast about old Hollywood. The lady who does is has a really bad case of vocal fry, but what she talks about is really interesting and informative. I especially liked the episodes about Lena Horne and Just Garland. She also did a whole series on the Manson Murders that was really good as well (she handled this really grisly topic very well).
  • jluzaniajluzania Denver
    edited August 2015
    My playlist is full of podcasts.  Outside of a number of Bald Move productions, I listen to several Star Wars podcasts: Echo Base, the Outer Rim, Jedi Jounrals and any TV show covering podcast on the Forcecast nework; Star Wars Oxygen, Star Wars Influences, and again any of their coverage of the Star Wars cartoons on the RebelForce Radio network; Star Wars Bookworms on the Star Wars Report network.

I usually catch the /Filmcast, The Ones Who Knock, and A Cast of Kings when they have episodes.

Other Game of Thrones podcasts I listen to include History of Westeros and the Boiled Leather Audio Hour.

The Podcast History of Our World and its very occasional episodes.

For sports, I listen to Joe Posnanski's Poscast and what was once the SVP and Russillo podcast, then the Russillo Show Podcast, and is now the Russillo and Kanell Show Podcast.

Finally, perhaps risking some bad vibes here, I listen to the audio of the Rachel Maddow Show once it's posted.

Edit: Oh yeah, and I did listen to Serial's first season.
    AntManBee
  • I just started listening to a great 12-part series, Charles Manson's Hollywood, on a podcast called You Must Remember This. It's a podcast about secret and forgotten histories in Hollywood. It's well produced and gets into all kinds of fascinating stuff not only about Charles Manson and his family, but also the culture at the time. I thought I knew the story, but there's so much I had know idea about. I think this series would also appeal to fans of Mad Men as well. There's a bunch of other series in the podcast archive that I want to check out when I'm done with this one.
    AntManBeeElisaReni
  • Just in case this interests anybody, I'm only about 2/3s of the way through but Bill Simmons posted a cast yesterday with Malcolm Gladwell and it's really, really interesting. I particularly love it when he does shows with people like him and Chuck Klosterman (who he had on about a month ago). They've been talking a lot about ESPN and the scrapping of Grantland and why Goodell is a moron (including a really interesting train of thought on "legacy kids"), how despicable it is when NBA owners rape cities for stadium deals, and much more (and I'm only through the first 2/3s or so). Really great cast if these topics are of any interest to you.
    A_Ron_HubbardAManIsNoOne
  • A lot of my favorites have already been described on here, but I can't believe nobody mentioned Welcome To Night Vale. Is anyone else listening to it? Has anyone read the novel that just came out? I have yet to get my hands on it but I'm so jazzed about it!
  • A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    @Travis, yeah that Malcolm Gladwell was gooooood pod.
    TravisAManIsNoOne