What Other Podcasts Do You Listen To?

Comments

• I got hardcore into Harmontown after you mentioned it on LWJ&A. I started from the beginning and I'm going through the country tour right now. You're right, it's not like anything else.
  • A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    Yeah, Cecily and I have done the same, and I've skipped a few here or there to catch up to where she is, I've gotten to most of them. I just hit #33, and things get uncomfortably real.  But also really funny.  He's like a real like Don Draper, or Walter White.  A "Difficult Man", if you will.  

I'm also simultaneously watching Community an episode or two a day, and it's remarkable how each character is really just a small piece of Dan Harmon.   
    tomellison
  • Garthgou81Garthgou81 Placerville, CA
    I have yet to actually listen to Harmontown (I will rectify that), but I think I was the one who recommended the documentary to you (or if not I should have), and I also found it enthralling. Your Lunch with Jim & A.Ron about his show was equally amazing to listen to.

I also should say, as someone with that alcoholic gene, its crazy to both compare and contrast another individual who is going off the rails completely. Its the old adage of being unable to take your eyes off of a train wreck. Except in this situation, its a slow motion train wreck where the train knows it is about to decimate itself.
  • Just a heads up, I know that there are a lot of Sepinwall fans in here. The most recent ep of Talking TV With Ryan and Ryan is him and Mo Ryan doing (from the description) about an hour and a half on his book and television in general and the 2015 year in TV. I just started it, not too far in but so far so good and Sepinwall is awesome and I'm sure it will be well worth the time in the end. 
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    My current podcast obsession is Fat Burning Man with Abel James. I'm not really a fan of Paleo, which is his thing, but I have a general interest in nutrition, health, food production, sustainability, etc and he interviews a lot of different people in that area. Some are just flogging a diet book, some are a bit whacko, but most are still interesting. He's also a super polite interviewer who doesn't interrupt, which I love. If you have any interest in nutrition and whatnot (or Paleo, I guess) he's worth checking out.
  • elgat0elgat0 Clearwater
    Here are some of mine that I don't believe have been mentioned previously.....

Tanis/Black Tapes - Made by the same people, Paranormal Mystery stories.  Love to listen to them in the dark.

Philosophize This - Nice episodic summary of the significant schools of Philosophy and thei Philosophers

Lore - True stories with a paranormal or freaky bent. 

TravisElisa
  • DrewDrew indianapolis
    @elgat0 I just started listening to the NoSleep podcast if you want more freaky goodness, I enjoy the spookies so it's hitting the spot for me right now.
    kingbee67elgat0
  • kingbee67kingbee67 Los Angeles Ca.
    Fallout off the record, the fallout feed. Mindfog(a role playing account of a adventure in fallout. Also I watch Gophers fallout play thru on YouTube. Maybe I might be going overboard on something. I usually listen while I play.
  • elgat0elgat0 Clearwater
    Drew said:

@elgat0 I just started listening to the NoSleep podcast if you want more freaky goodness, I enjoy the spookies so it's hitting the spot for me right now.

Thanks for the recommendation. I already have it bookmarked. I haven't started it yet because I've been listening to the "Call of Cuthullu" by Lovecraft on Spotify. It's my first direct exposure to Lovecraft.
  • How to do Everything  (NPR but it is NOT political) is really funny and informative, only drawback is there is only one episode a week and they are only about 15 minutes each.  The humor is subtle but these guys have made me laugh out loud many times. 

The Nerdist - This was my introduction to Chris Hardwick. If you've never heard his interviews, pick a celebrity you enjoy and give one a listen. Hardwick's "Talking Dead affect" is nowhere to be found and his interviews are genuinely good. He takes a casual approach and talks to them as if they were friends instead of what you would typically hear in a hollywood type interview.  I listened to The Nerdist for at least a year before I ever saw Talking Dead and I have to say, I don't much care for how Hardwick is on that show, but I also understand its his job and they are probably forcing that onto him. 

Freakonomics Radio - If you have read the books, you'll enjoy the podcasts. 

John and Ken Show - (KFI, Los Angeles) adding this because I have been listening to them for over a decade, every day. I'm in California and this is a podcast about California news items, laws, politics, etc. You will either love them or hate them is my guess. 
  • TaraC73TaraC73 Manchester NH
    West Wing Weekly kicked off last week -- josh Malina (Will Bailey) is doing a rewatch and having guests on every week to discuss that episode. I haven't listened yet, just found out about it yesterday. I am SUPER excited!!
    Travis
  • I haven't checked it out yet, but I love Malina and I'm definitely going to get to it soon. That dude is hilarious. If him and Bradley Whitford are interesting figures to you they both (separately) did great Kevin Pollack Chat Show episodes. The only reason that I mention them together is that they poke fun at each other a lot. I definitely recommend it if you like those guys and interview shows.
  • I listen to a podcast a friend of mine has called The Building Years. His name is Jeremiah Watkins and he's a comic in LA; him and his buddy Justin Alexio have been doing this podcast for several years. They do two shows a week (most of the time), on Wednesdays they talk about whats going on in their lives and what's happening in their careers and on Fridays they interview someone else in the entertainment industry. Jeremiah just had two shows he's involved in get picked up by Comedy Central (Roast Battle and The God Damn Comedy Jam) and Justin just had a part in the new Linklater movie "Everybody Wants Some". 

https://soundcloud.com/thebuildingyears
  • unreadunread Australia
    edited April 2016

Oh man, I listen to way too many podcasts:

TOFOP - I feel like Wil and Charlie are sort of the Aussie version of Jim and Aron. Or at least their friendship gives me a slightly similar vibe. Except there’s less tv discussion and more meandering topics. They are endlessly entertaining and very funny.

The Little Dum Dum Club - There is no sensible explanation for this one. They’re all crazy. And there’s mousse. It’s basically the podcast equivalent of a car crash, and I can’t look away.

The Weekly Planet - They talk about comic book movie things. I loved their recent Daredevil S2 episode.

Bring A Plate with Peter and Bec - These guys are adorable and funny and super gay.

Steele Wars - A fun Star Wars podcast by comedian/Star Wars nerd Steele Saunders.

The Infinite Monkey Cage - Prof. Brian Cox and Robin Ince talk about science. Very Britishly.

Book Shambles with Robin and Josie - Robin Ince and Josie Long talk about books with famous people such as Eddie Izzard, Mark Gatiss, and Stewart Lee.

(haha I almost recced a Bald Move podcast, and then I remembered where I was...)

OldGriswold
  • TaraC73TaraC73 Manchester NH
    edited April 2016
    I have tried many different podcasts and to be honest the only ones I can listen to are Jim and A. Ron. (Not dick sucking... Just a fact LOL) even A. Ron and Cecily are hard to listen to (no offense Cecily, it's not you it's me)... I <3 Chris Hardwick, can't listen to him. None of the Afterbuzz casts, no matter how much I love the show they are covering, and no insiders either. I'm going to give the west wing weekly a fair shot though!!

Edited to add: I love Bill burr's podcast too. Maybe it's just the chemistry of your friendship, the flow of the casts... I really can't put my finger on what it is but no other podcasts hold my attention, no matter what the content is.
    I just added a few in the last month that I wanted to share. The BBC has "In Our Time" that has at least two channels, one in history and one in philosophy that scratches that Dan Carlin itch in between Hardcore History releases. And I added Crucible Radio because I'm focusing on the PvP aspect of destiny at the moment,and I really like these guys laid back vibe. Good chemistry, funny without trying to work at it.
  • steph_bsteph_b Austin
    I'm a big history buff and I really can't recommend History on Fire highly enough. If you like Dan Carlin you will love Daniele Borelli. He is not a Carlin rip-off, definitely has his own conversational style. Where he is similar is that he tackles a range of topics and they do not sound scripted at all. He has so much charm and a sense of humor that is right in my wheelhouse. Like Dan, his podcasts are long and often in multiple parts. He is a history professor and extremely thorough. He just released his newest episode today which is about Native American war leader, Crazy Horse. I think my favorite episode so far is about The Iceman - the oldest fully preserved human ever found. Its amazing how fascinating a tale he spun from that discovery.

He also co-hosts another podcast called The Drunken Taoist which is a mixture of martial arts and philosophy. I care nothing for martial arts but the unique take on the events of the day and dealing with life keeps me hooked. 

Anyway, no one is paying me for this recommendation - HAHA - I'm just a huge fan and super hyped to find a history podcast that shares the same rarified air as Hard Core History. 
  • DrKenDrKen Chicago
    I mentioned this one a while back but I thought it was only behind a pay wall.  I've been listening to it on the network it's on now but just discovered the first 3 are free.  With GoT back, I've been checking them out.

If you like Dan Carlin's Hardcore History, Hardcore Game of Thrones is a parody with the actual story of Westeros and all the world of GoT with the guy doing a dead-on Carlin impression.  It's crazy and it also give you a lot of history and context.

• DrewDrew indianapolis
    Anyone here ever listen to We're Alive? It's a radio drama set in a zombie apocalypse, it's fucking awesome and what Walking Dead should have been (story wise). The main We're Alive series ended a year or two ago and I strongly suggest if you like zombie stories to check it out.

They have a sequel mini series airing now that's only going to be 6 episodes. The original We're Alive stories ranged from 15-30 minutes for a regular episode but Chapter finales would be 35-60 minutes. The sequel mini series, We're Alive: Lockdown is about 40-60 minutes an episode.
    Elisa
  • UnderwoodUnderwood Philadelphia, PA
    Anyone else listen to the No Sleep Podcast? I just recently started, it's a fun "turn your brain off" listen.
    Drew
  • a bunch:  idle thumbs, crate and crowbar, idle weekend (video games), vox's the weeds, slate political (and sometimes culture) gabfest (politics and policy minutae), judge john hodgman (absurdist entertainment lol), serial (when it's around, you know what it is), freakonomics/99% invisible/stuff you should know (misc uh edu-tainment), talking dead podcast/a storm of spoilers/a cast of kings/the citadel/nerdette recaps game of thrones (tv analysis).
  • DrewDrew indianapolis
    Underwood said:

Anyone else listen to the No Sleep Podcast? I just recently started, it's a fun "turn your brain off" listen.

Just started myself, starting from the beginning. Som fun creepy stuff in there.
    Underwood
  • UnderwoodUnderwood Philadelphia, PA
    Drew said:

Just started myself, starting from the beginning. Som fun creepy stuff in there.

I started on season 6 and now working my way from the begining too, some real gems in 6
    Drew
  • unreadunread Australia

My two new favourite podcasts at the moment are Beer Eye With Your Mates Guys (a beer review podcast, very funny even if you don’t drink beer) and Filthy Casuals (they talk about old and new computer games, not douchey and also very funny).

• If you're into sports talk, particularly with a bent towards Los Angeles, I recommend ESPN's Max and Marcellus. It's just a podcast airing of their weekday drive time talk radio show but they've got great chemistry and are just a lot of fun to listen to.

Also, pourin one out for Firewall and Iceberg. RIP.

• Dan Lebatard Show w. Stugotz
    The Right Time w Bomani Jones
    Truehoop
    NBA Lockdown
    Around the NFL
    Insanity Check
    Black on Black Cinema
    The Nerdpocalypse
    Dense Pixels
    This American Life
    Freakonomics
    Logical Weight Loss
    The Lowe Post
    For the few destiny fans, I started listening to Ghost Stories, where they do deep dives in the lore of the game which I think is really fascinating and neat. I considered myself pretty up on the state of the game universe, but I've already learned a lot of new things, and the guys are low key and easy to listen to.
  • I've been deep into MMA for the last couple of years or so. 
    Promotional Malpractice
    Co-Main Event Podcast
    Heavy Hands

All fantastic. 

I dig Very Bad Wizards for Philosophy/Ethics. Also Sam Harris' Waking Up podcast is good, despite the lame title.

And I echo everyone's enthusiasm for Dan Carlin. Just revisited his Mongol series as well as Death Throes of the Republic. Fabulous.  

Smartest Man In The World, Tell Em' Steve Dave for comedy. 
  • JbrettDJbrettD Nashville, TN
    Drew said:

Anyone here ever listen to We're Alive? It's a radio drama set in a zombie apocalypse, it's fucking awesome and what Walking Dead should have been (story wise). The main We're Alive series ended a year or two ago and I strongly suggest if you like zombie stories to check it out.

They have a sequel mini series airing now that's only going to be 6 episodes. The original We're Alive stories ranged from 15-30 minutes for a regular episode but Chapter finales would be 35-60 minutes. The sequel mini series, We're Alive: Lockdown is about 40-60 minutes an episode.

Absolutely.  Just started the new "Lockdown" version.  Pretty cool find.
    DrewElisa
  • I was hoping that maybe this forum could help me find podcast similar to what Jim and A Ron do, but obviously for shows they don't do (in one case anymore). Anyone have good leads on companion casts for these shows? I am a little picky in that I don't like when a show has a ton of hosts, but I am willing to put up with that for a good product.

The Flash
    Gotham
    Jessica Jones
    Bloodline

Any suggestions are appreciated.