What Other Podcasts Do You Listen To?

Comments

• tomellisontomellison Oxford, Ohio

My experience no one is as good as Jim and Aron at TV Podcasts.  The closest I've seen is in Movies; Mad About Movies.  Three friends that like to talk about the latest movie and movie news. 

I am a big fan of the Blacklist with Spader.  I listen to a Golden Spiral Media podcast of two guys, and they are horrible.  They are disrespectful and always arguing with each other.  I'll take Bald Move over anyone else.

Bill Simmons Media Group is the only other one I listen to regularly.  Bill and his crew are so damn likable.  They are not just sports.  They were the ones that originally turned me on to The Leftovers. 

Drew
  • @Drew @JbrettD Yeh love we're alive currently in a mid re-listen in prep for the lockdown finale,  think its going to be good
    Elisa
  • @RossB If you find a good Bloodline podcast please let me know! I just finished season 2 and man, I want to deep dive and discuss and take it apart.
    DaveyMacRossB
  • Finally got around to listening to Hardcore History and oh my God is it good!
    DaveyMacDoctor_Nick
  • edited June 2016
    For those musically inclined, these guys do a great job:

www.pedalnotemedia.com/the-brass-junkies/
  • My experience no one is as good as Jim and Aron at TV Podcasts.  The closest I've seen is in Movies; Mad About Movies.  Three friends that like to talk about the latest movie and movie news. 

Yeah, that is kind of the issue I am running into. Outside of Game of Thrones and The Walking Dead I don't know that there are a lot of quality TV podcasts.

Even then I like Bald Move better because Jim and A Ron just kind of "get it", whereas some of those other podcast are sort of appealing to a broader market of fans, which can cause some of their analysis to be bogged down by talk that is maybe useful to a casual fan, but not to someone like myself who tends to be more invested in a show and do my own sort of background to build my knowledge of the in show universe.

• Anyone else listening to the Hardcore Game of Thrones podcast ?  they are an in depth history of Westeros ( and Essos ) done in the style of Dan Carlin's hardcore history.  the first three are on itunes under Earwolf presents.

Mindolin
    DrKenApril_May_June
  • DrKenDrKen Chicago
    Mindolin said:

Anyone else listening to the Hardcore Game of Thrones podcast ?  they are an in depth history of Westeros ( and Essos ) done in the style of Dan Carlin's hardcore history.  the first three are on itunes under Earwolf presents.

Mindolin

Yes.  I've mentioned them in this thread before.

Those are amazing.  If you like Dan Carlin's podcast at all and are a Game of Thrones fan, you have to listen to a few minutes at least.  He's got Carlin down cold.
    April_May_June
  • GeorgeGeorge Astoria, New York
    edited June 2016
    I was actually subscribed to Hardcore Game of Thrones but never listened. Will definitely give it a listen now.

There are way too many to list so I'll just list a few of my favorites.

Comedy Bang! Bang! - A lot of improv comedy. Hilarity every week. (hey nong man)
    The Joe Rogan Experience - Long interviews. Last one I listened to was a solid 4+ hours.
    Science Fiction Film Podcast - Pretty straight forward. Great discussions about a wide range of Sci Fi films.
    Bodega Boys - A couple of guys from my area of The Bronx just riffing on the weeks topics.
    The Combat Jack Show - Generally hip hop artist interviews. Some really great interviews including a three hour pod with Chuck D. I still give it a listen every once in a while.
    Drink Champs - More rap interviews as the interviewer and interviewee get progressively more and more drunk.

Will update after work. There are tons more.
    mileswarrin
  • Thanks to everyone who referenced Hardcore History. I finally gave it a go over the weekend (I'm listening to the WWI series to start) and I'm really, really enjoying it. Very informative and interesting and he presents everything really, really well. I'm already really hooked. Cheers!
    DaveyMac
  • LukeLuke Central Illinois
    Been listening to the Laser Time network group of podcasts lately. They do a few shows based on 80's-today pop culture, video games, tv, and movies.
  • @Travis
    Listening to that one too right now. Fantastic.
    Also really enjoyed the Wrath of Khans and the one-off about the Anabaptist ministers in Muenster.
    Travis
  • @ryanfoster Thanks for the heads up, man. I'm about 2/3s of the way through and was wondering where to go next. I'll look at those ones next. Man, he's so good. Also, goes without saying but in hearing about it so intensely WWI was a fucking horror show beyond anything I could possibly imagine. I hope he does WWII at some point to really get into that. It may be the stuff of nightmares but somehow I feel better for knowing about it.
    ryanfoster
  • Yeah, I too would love to hear him do WWII in great detail.
    Travis
  • elgat0elgat0 Clearwater
    @Travis & @ryanfoster Carlin did a 4 part on the Eastern Front titled Ghosts of the Ostfront. It's no longer free, but worth the price.
    Travisryanfoster
  • elgat0 said:

@Travis & @ryanfoster Carlin did a 4 part on the Eastern Front titled Ghosts of the Ostfront. It's no longer free, but worth the price.

Thanks for the heads up! I'll grab those.
  • @Travis Some of his one-offs are really good too. Two that come to mind are "Prophets of Doom" and "Logical Insanity".
    Travisryanfoster
  • DrewDrew indianapolis
    @luke I used to love the LT guys, Henry and Raparez's wife started to annoy the shit out of me and I had to stop. Listened to these guys since the old Radio Radar days though, can't beat Chris and Brett.
  • Sepinwall and Fienberg just did a one-off "reunion" podcast for those of you who were fans of "Firewall and Iceberg." It's on Sepinwall's Hitfix page.
    A_Ron_HubbardTravis
  • MrX said:

Sepinwall and Fienberg just did a one-off "reunion" podcast for those of you who were fans of "Firewall and Iceberg." It's on Sepinwall's Hitfix page.

Thanks for the heads up, man. Definitely going to check that out today.
  • DaveyMac said:

@Travis Some of his one-offs are really good too. Two that come to mind are "Prophets of Doom" and "Logical Insanity".

The story Dan tells in Prophets of Doom would I think make an amazing horror movie. Just an incredible story.

DaveyMac
  • DrKenDrKen Chicago
    I just got hooked last week on The Greatest Generation: A Star Trek TNG Podcast by 2 Guys that Are Embarrassed To Be Doing a Star Trek Podcast.

They do 30-45 minutes on each episode of the series.  They are just into Season 3 but I've gone back to the beginning.  They're very funny as they breakdown each episode.  TNG is easy to just catch an episode here or there but I recommend that you listen to the 2nd to find out what a Drunk Shimoda is.

Even though they are ripping these episodes apart, you can tell they love the series and know a lot about it.  It's good stuff.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Two interview shows with hosts who are also artists.

Off Camera with Sam Jones - Seems to have a relationship as a photographer with a lot of the people he interviews and it seems to help him get better insights and anecdotes out of his subjects.

The Bret Easton Ellis Podcast-  He seeControversial, arrogant and pretentious but he sure covers interesting subjects and interviews.  
    DaveyMac
  • WarpFoxWarpFox Nashville, TN
    Lately, I've been consuming episode after episode of The Last Podcast on the Left. It's a show where three comedians cover topics like cults, ghosts, serial killers, aliens, the occult, conspiracies—you know, light-hearted stuff. They dive into all this weird and dark content with a heaping helping of gallows humor, and I can't get enough of it.

http://cavecomedyradio.com/pod-series/last-podcast-on-the-left/feed/
  • Revisionist History by Malcolm Gladwell is my new favorite podcast. 
    Also enjoying RadioLab's new Supreme Court cast, More Perfect.
    TravisDoctor_NickA_Ron_HubbardDaveyMac
  • DrewDrew indianapolis
    Going through and listening to all the old Ricky Gervais Show's from the XFM days, going into the proper podcast and books they released after. Only in the first year of the radio show though so I have a while to go.
    DaveyMac
  • davemcbdavemcb Melbourne
    Is anyone listening to Pin Kings on ESPN? It is their entry into True Crime stories about two friends on either side of the War on Drugs who wrestled on the same high school wrestling team. 1 became a DEA agent and the other a drug lord. 

So far its really good and I think compelling but I think the problem with this format is that its tough to stick the landing such as Serial. I feel like I've seen the story line in a movie but I can't put my finger on it and think if this ends well it might be optioned into a script.

The 30 minute episode length is also brilliant as you don't zone out really during them and miss details
  • My podcast time is shrinking and I'm so backlogged right now, but one I've been enjoying that is very meta is "Sampler". She has guests on and they just sample other podcasts, but it's pretty cool for getting a taste of all that is out there. And good for people who don't have time for deep dives.
  • Revisionist History by Malcolm Gladwell is my new favorite podcast. 

Also enjoying RadioLab's new Supreme Court cast, More Perfect.
    Thanks for posting. Loving Revisionist History!
    Travishypergenesb