Thoughts on Elan's Hostile Take Over of Twitter

rhcooprhcoop Knoxville, Tn
What does everyone think of this? 

I think it is good if censorship of non harmful ideas ends.

Comments

• bizmarkiefaderbizmarkiefader San Francisco
    At least it would finally get me off of it and maybe I'll get the doom scrolling part of my brain back.
    rustywright4
  • ChinaskiChinaski Santa Cruz, CA
    that's some Succession shit right there!

btw - for some reason my brain initially processed this thread title, 'Thoughts on Ethan Hawke's Take Over of Twitter' and was very confused.

gguenot
  • lengmolengmo RTP, NC
    edited April 15
    An argument for the idea that wealth should be capped in the low millions?

I picked up a few shares of TWTR just to follow along.
  • Elon must really want that "edit" button.
  • FreddyFreddy Denton, Texas
    Chinaski said:
    that's some Succession shit right there!

btw - for some reason my brain initially processed this thread title, 'Thoughts on Ethan Hawke's Take Over of Twitter' and was very confused.

At first I thought it was Ellen.

Chinaskicdrive
  • Teresa from ConcordTeresa from Concord Concord, California
    Elan’s a nutter and Twitter is shite. So a match made in heaven? When both are silenced I’ll have something to comment on in “what’s making my day” thread. 
  • CoryCory New Scotland
    Elan’s a nutter and Twitter is shite. So a match made in heaven? When both are silenced I’ll have something to comment on in “what’s making my day” thread. 

What's an Elan, anyway?

Did the OP just misspell Elon?
  • Cory said:

What's an Elan, anyway?

Did the OP just misspell Elon?
    Nope.
  • JoshTheBlackJoshTheBlack Atlanta, GA
    I think Elon's gotten exactly what he wanted.  People talking about him nonstop. I put odds of the deal happening at around 60%.  I think it's probably a bad thing for the world, but I don't know if its that much worse than it currently is.  Elon has a pretty checkered past when it comes to "free speech" so having him be the arbiter of it on twitter seems pretty sus.  Ultimately, I think twitters lawyers (and Elon's should he be successful) will mitigate a lot of the "free speech" stuff he wants, because in reality its a business and lack of moderation is bad for business.
    If you want to see what an unmoderated "free speech" platform looks like, just head on over to 8kun or 4chan.  It's not pretty.  The hate speech is abundant, and there is very little pushback because most of the users are nazis and racists.  The normal people were scared off long ago.  Imagine taking a massive platform like Twitter that is mildly profitable and turning it into 8kun.  Better off having a bonfire with that $44b.  At least you can roast marshmellows over it.

Twitter operates all over the world.  Allowing all speech that is legal in every country it operates, and not allowing all speech that is illegal wherever it is illegal is a pretty massive undertaking. 

Further, twitter is a massive platform for people across the world.  It has the ability to sort of shape reality.  As a private company it's owner could leverage that to his benefit, though I think it would be difficult to maneuver.  In that sense I think attempting to buy twitter is kind of a hedge for the trouble that climate change combined with massive inequality is bringing.  Worlds second richest man wrestles for control of the ability to moderate speech on twitter.  Also kind of a hedge for the potential collapse of Teslas stock price.  IMO, it has been massively over-inflated for a while, and as more of the bigger, longer-standing traditional car companies continue to pump out more affordable and better built electric vehicles, Teslas stock will likely drop considerably. 
    bizmarkiefader
  • lengmolengmo RTP, NC
    IMO, it has been massively over-inflated for a while, and as more of the bigger, longer-standing traditional car companies continue to pump out more affordable and better built electric vehicles, Teslas stock will likely drop considerably. 
    If Tesla was only a car company its stock would be out of whack.  You can read the Wikipedia or other articles about the technologies/businesses Tesla has beyond a regular car company and make up your own mind.  For example, it may have the largest EV charging network in the world.  It's starting to open that up to non-Teslas.