Just heard the latest cast. So why do women's periods sync?

So why and how do women's periods snyc? I mean isn't that fking weird as sht? Like what purpose in nature does it have? How to women's vagina's talk to each other? 

Comments

• DeeDee Adelaide
    I don't know if that's even true. My daughter is 17 and our periods have never been at the same time.
  • It's totally true! And it is due to pheromones I think. I have synced up with every female roommate I have ever had. Also, some women (for lack of a better term) are "followers" and some are "leaders." I will usually sync up with other women (so I would be a follower) but other women usually don't sync up with me. Anyway, yeah it is weird but it was fairly convenient sometimes if you need a tampon or something and your friend has one because she is also on her period. 
    adobo1148
  • A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    I always assumed it is true, but seems like it's got a long way to go before the theory gains wide scientific acceptance.  http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/do-women-who-live-together-menstruate-together/

Assuming that whatever causes synchronicity if it exists is hormonal or pheromone based, then it's also entirely possible that widespread use of female hormonal based contraceptive could make throw a monkey wrench into the biology of it.  Again, even if it is true.
    adobo1148
  • TaraC73TaraC73 Manchester NH
    I don't know how, but it happens. I used to work in a small medical office with three other women. When I started we always joked about oh be careful I'm on my period (I'm a raging beotch when it's my time)... Soon enough i had my time at the same time as them! No rhyme or reason it was weird as shit.
  • aberry89aberry89 California
    edited June 2015
    It's crazy how accepted that theory is, and it seems science itself is VERY skeptical on the matter....

I never knew for sure, but sort of assumed it was a leftover biological habit of evolution. Most female apes, most female animals, in fact go through "estrus" which basically means they are sexually reproductive only once a year. The females of the animal population go through ovulation, herds of males come in, get all the females pregnant, then peace out.  Estrus is how a lot of animals propagate because it is the best way to get as many offspring as possible - if everyone's ready at once, instead of sporadically throughout the year. But human females ovulate year round, but maybe there is still that bygone instinct for groups of females to still be on the same cycle, because more females ovulating at once in one area...better the male's chances to propagate? Of course this not how human societies work anymore, but evolution takes a long, looong time to adapt. Hahha, I pulling this directly form my ass, I have no idea whatsoever, it's just what I can remmenber from discussing this with other women. 

For me, the coolest thing is how menstrual cycles can match up the moon cycles. Not gunna lie, that makes me feel pretty fucking mysterious sometimes...
    adobo1148hypergenesbPiilaniJR
  • A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    Yes, this is true.  Human's "always potentially horny" strategy versus the time tested "AWWW YESSSS - IT'S MATING SEASON!!!" strategy probably still has a lot of the same genetics, which could trigger and misfire when you have some kind of unnatural system, like tons of women cooped up in an indoor complex.  

BTW, totally agree with the moon cycle thing.  Really makes you all out to be some kind of mystical druid blood magic cult.
    TaraC73