What are you playing?

Comments

• Garthgou81Garthgou81 Placerville, CA
    asmallcat said:
    Freddy said:
    Fall Guys.  And some rando pushed me off of a picture match platform. Like it was just me and them, and they pushed me off. This means war!
    Isn't that the only way anyone dies in picture match? 
    I am horrific at that one. So I tend to just B-line it to wherever other people seem to be heading. I think I have lost once, but it was because my timing was just entirely off and I fell to my doom. 
  • asmallcat said:
    Hatorian said:
    Very disappointed my 2-3 year old PC ASUS desktop that was fitted out with the latest hardware to run VR cannot play Flight Simulator...grrr
    What's the bottleneck? My old PC that I built a decade ago and have upgraded piecemeal over the years still runs it (to be fair I think the oldest part in it now besides fans, PSU, etc is the 2 year old video card, but it was mid-range when I got it). 
    so heres my issues. its the graphics card. but heres my comp.

https://www.asus.com/us/Tower-PCs/ROG-G20CB/specifications/

it says on my settings i only have an intel HD graphics 530 which cannot be right.

the card options are below. is there something that happened that caused my graphics card to go bogus? or did i just make a mistake when buying? im almost positive im remember it coming with a nvidia card but i dont have the manual and the settings only come up with the intel when i search. any thoughts from IT experts?

NVIDIA® GeForce GTX980 4GB
    NVIDIA® GeForce GTX970 4GB
    NVIDIA® GeForce GTX960 2GB
    NVIDIA® GeForce GTX950 2GB
    NVIDIA® GeForce GTX745 4GB
    NVIDIA® GeForce GT740 4GB
    AMD® Radeon R9 380 2GB
    NVIDIA® GeForce GTX1080
    NVIDIA® GeForce GTX1070
  • edited September 2020
    Oh yeah if your settings is showing only the integrated graphics that's your problem. Pop open your case and see what brand the card is (since there is an AMD option in there) and get the settings software from that company and see if it can detect the card. If it can't, pop the card out (look up on youtube how to do this - there's locking clips that hold it in place), dust everything with canned air, clip it back in and see if that works. If it's still not detecting, you may have a dead card. 

Actually, when I look at that case, it seems like kind of a nightmare to get into. I assume you ordered it online, so you SHOULD be able to find the order confirmation email which will tell you what card you used. You should still pop the side off though and blow as much dust out as you can. I try to clean mine every 6 months or so, but I have a cat so it gets really dusty in my case. 
    HatorianMofojones333
  • asmallcat said:
    Oh yeah if your settings is showing only the integrated graphics that's your problem. Pop open your case and see what brand the card is (since there is an AMD option in there) and get the settings software from that company and see if it can detect the card. If it can't, pop the card out (look up on youtube how to do this - there's locking clips that hold it in place), dust everything with canned air, clip it back in and see if that works. If it's still not detecting, you may have a dead card. 
    Thanks! Hopefully this won’t be a bitch. I heard this rig isn’t the easiest to open and adjust...
  • edited September 2020
    Hatorian said:
    asmallcat said:
    Thanks! Hopefully this won’t be a bitch. I heard this rig isn’t the easiest to open and adjust...
    Yeah it's a strange design. It looks like there's a plate of some kind (I assume to disperse heat?) over the card. Hopefully you can fix it without pulling that off. I am spoiled by the absurdly large case I built my PC in. No heating issues and everything is really accessible. It just weighs like 50 pounds and is 28" tall and 34" long lol. 
    Hatorian
  • HatorianHatorian Dagobah
    edited September 2020
    Does it matter there is a second port that the HDMI cord fits into?

heres the one I use. 

Here’s the other one but when I plug the cord into it the TV (I use my LG TV as my monitor but it doesn’t pick up the input when using this one. Just blank screen) the 3rd from the top 

• edited September 2020
    Oh, yeah, I don't think that's actually a port on your video card that you're plugging into (I don't have integrated graphics on my PC so I'm not sure if there's normally a separate port for it). It could still be wired through the card though. 

Do me a favor, in the search bar, type "Device Manager" and you should see the device manager program. Open it and click on "display adapters." See what you find there. There SHOULD be "NVIDIA Geforce" something or "ATI Radeon" something if the system is detecting your card. 

Edit - the reason I say that might not be a port from your video card is that the black part there with the DVI connector (multi pin with the two screws) and the 4 HDMI ports is actually physically part of your video card. 
  • So when I go to settings it detects my LG TV but only shows intel HD graphics 530 

when I go to device manager and click display settings it still only shows intel HD graphics 530 but nothing about LG TV. 

I managed to grab a Ring Fit Adventure for the Switch. I know people played Wii Fitness and such, but this game is a serious workout. It has a number of different difficulties, and I probably bumped it up too high for someone who is out of shape. But it is kicking my ass and stomping on it. It is so incredibly fun, however. I can't recommend it highly enough outside of the cost and difficulty in finding it.
    cdriveMurderbeardarwinfeeshy
  • edited September 2020
    If it's not showing your video card in device manager that's probably not good. What happens if you plug the HDMI cord into one of the ports on your video card? I'm comfortable with computers but not an expert so I don't know if you have to have a monitor actually plugged into the card for windows to "see" it. 
  • Ok so I found my amazon purchase. It says it has a gtx980...now is there a way to fix this without opening? 
  • And my dumbass decided to look around the rig and it has a GeForce sticker on it...
  • If you plug directly into one of the HDMI ports on the card do you get a picture? 
  • I only get a picture with the port with the yellow arrow. Green arrow is blank. I’ve tried on 2 TVs as well. Same thing. 

• Sounds like a dead card, then. Does ASUS have support forums? You'd probably get better info posting there. May be people who've experienced this or at least know how to get into the case. 
  • thanks. the apps are still downloaded so its got to be a card issue. 

nivdia 3d vision controller driver
    nvidia geforce experience 
    nvidia geforce audio driver
    nivdia phys system software

anyways ill check out out the support. thanks!
  • Spoke with Asus and they said if the second ports not working it’s most likely hardware related. Guess it can’t hurt to try a reset but looks like I need to get stuff fixed. 

Thanks for the help on this. Should be on my way to crashing 2 minutes after takeoff shortly...
  • cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
    I managed to grab a Ring Fit Adventure for the Switch. I know people played Wii Fitness and such, but this game is a serious workout. It has a number of different difficulties, and I probably bumped it up too high for someone who is out of shape. But it is kicking my ass and stomping on it. It is so incredibly fun, however. I can't recommend it highly enough outside of the cost and difficulty in finding it.
    Thanks, buddy! Picking one up curbside at Best Buy later today. I was shocked that it was back In Stock, especially during these times.  
    cdrive said:
    Thanks, buddy! Picking one up curbside at Best Buy later today. I was shocked that it was back In Stock, especially during these times.  
    Let me know what your thoughts are. I am only a week into workouts, but every time I think it has shown all of its cards, something new jumps up. Also, gamifying workouts like this is a must for me. Gyms can be okay, but I could see this really working for some people in regards to keeping them come back day after day. 
  • cdrive said:
    Let me know what your thoughts are. I am only a week into workouts, but every time I think it has shown all of its cards, something new jumps up. Also, gamifying workouts like this is a must for me. Gyms can be okay, but I could see this really working for some people in regards to keeping them come back day after day. 

Literally the reason I downloaded the randonautica app. Having some point I'm trying to get to makes running a lot more bearable, even if it just ends up being a random house or whatever. 
    asmallcat said:
    cdrive said:

Literally the reason I downloaded the randonautica app. Having some point I'm trying to get to makes running a lot more bearable, even if it just ends up being a random house or whatever. 
    I haven't tried Radionautica, I will have to give it a look. For a while, I was having really good luck with Zombies Run! Because it was a narrative that you were taking a part in. It was a bit of radio drama, a bit of gaming, and a workout on top of that. It is worth a look if you are a running enthusiast. 
  • asmallcat said:
    Hatorian said:
    asmallcat said:
    Yeah it's a strange design. It looks like there's a plate of some kind (I assume to disperse heat?) over the card. Hopefully you can fix it without pulling that off. I am spoiled by the absurdly large case I built my PC in. No heating issues and everything is really accessible. It just weighs like 50 pounds and is 28" tall and 34" long lol. 
    I’m a bit proud of myself. I successfully opened the rig and unplugged the video card. Then reset everything and put it back together and the computer worked. 

But then the cooling fans or whatever other spinning devices were Super loud after I started it back up. So I took it apart again and tinkered more and now it’s back to working quietly and fine. The graphics card still doesn’t work but it’s working normal. 

I tried War Thunder and that works fine graphics wise but now I can’t get the thrustmaster controller to work...

it runs fine on mouse and keyboard but when I try to use the config for thrustmaster my plane just flies in circles and crashes. 

• I haven't tried Radionautica, I will have to give it a look. For a while, I was having really good luck with Zombies Run! Because it was a narrative that you were taking a part in. It was a bit of radio drama, a bit of gaming, and a workout on top of that. It is worth a look if you are a running enthusiast. 
    As far as I can tell it's literally completely random besides being within a couple miles of your current location. It just takes the thinking out picking where I want to run and saves me from running the same 3 routes over and over. 

I have been meaning to give one of the running game apps a try. I need to install one. 
  • So I fixed the issue with the graphics card. It turns out I forgot to plug in the power to the graphics card on the external power source..... literally spent 10+ hours trying to fix this issue. Opening up my rig, resetting windows, downloading and redownloading the 127gb file of FS. 

All I needed to do was pick up the unplugged power cord from behind my TV stand and plug it in....
    asmallcatcdrivedarwinfeeshyMofojones333
  • cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
    Hatorian said:
    So I fixed the issue with the graphics card. It turns out I forgot to plug in the power to the graphics card on the external power source..... literally spent 10+ hours trying to fix this issue. Opening up my rig, resetting windows, downloading and redownloading the 127gb file of FS. 

All I needed to do was pick up the unplugged power cord from behind my TV stand and plug it in....
    Oh no! You IT Crowded yourself! haha.  Glad you found the issue though!

HatoriandarwinfeeshyMofojones333
  • Hatorian said:
    So I fixed the issue with the graphics card. It turns out I forgot to plug in the power to the graphics card on the external power source..... literally spent 10+ hours trying to fix this issue. Opening up my rig, resetting windows, downloading and redownloading the 127gb file of FS. 

Wait, there's a separate external power cord for the GPU? Or you just hadn't plugged it in internally to the Power Supply in the computer? If your computer has 2 power cords that's wild. I have never seen such a thing outside the external GPU things you can plug into laptops. 
  • asmallcat said:
    Hatorian said:

Wait, there's a separate external power cord for the GPU? Or you just hadn't plugged it in internally to the Power Supply in the computer? If your computer has 2 power cords that's wild. I have never seen such a thing outside the external GPU things you can plug into laptops. 
    I'm also extremely curious about this setup. How does your graphics card plug into an external power source? Do you have 6 pin cords coming out from the case?
  • It has one external power source. When I was unboxing it to check on the card the YouTube videos said it didn’t have an internal power source. 

the “power brick” has 2 power supplies. I Guess one simply powers the computer to do basic computer things and the second powers the video/graphic heavy gaming. 

With the second power plugged in. My second port started working as well And boom. Nvidia gtx980 detected...Here’s a pick of the brick. It’s got cords coming out of all sides almost. 

• Lucky too that the graphics card didn’t flunk out and knock on wood cuz ASUS was saying the repair wouldn’t be worth it and a new computer was likely the more economic case if gaming was still important. 
  • MurderbearMurderbear Cold Spring, Ky
    I tell you what I am NOT playing right now is Tony Hawk 1 + 2. I am trying to be better about buying so many games but this game looks soooooo good!
    darwinfeeshyMofojones333