Your Top 10 Memorable Games

HatorianHatorian Dagobah
edited July 2015 in Gaming
I would like to think of myself as a decent gamer. I started gaming with an Atari and Colecovision. But I also never owned a Nintendo until the 64. There were entire years over the past 30 where I didn't play games at all. I played Maniac Mansion, Road Rage, Halo and Arkham Knight but never played Super Mario Brothers(from start to finish), Chrono Trigger, Deus Ex and other universally acclaimed games. I am a pretty good gamer who has won money (from dumbasses) competitively but that doesn't mean I can critically rank games. I certainly haven't played enough games to feel like i can say which is best. There are so many good games out there that I haven't touched and I think games are a personal experience much so more than other entertainment. Thus I think rankings are much more subjective. So I am not asking you to say what are the best 10 games ever. The Last of Us is probably one of the greatest games I ever played but I would not rank it in the top 10 memorable games. I am asking you to provide the 10 games that have impacted your life whether it means playing 100 hours, having insane fun with friends, an emotional experience, etc. 

here is mine. No order. 

Final Fantasy 7
Age of Empires 2
Goldeneye 64
Resident Evil 2
Warcraft 2
Shining Force 2
Socom 1 and 2 (its a bit cheating but both were extremely memorable)
NHL/Madden 94 (cheating as well but the best sports games ever)
Grand Theft Auto 3

• AManIsNoOneAManIsNoOne Greensboro, NC
    I'm going to give this some thought and come back later with a revised top 10, but here goes my 1st draft in no order.

NBA Live 2010 (5 on 5 online NBA simulation made signing in like going to the gym for a pickup game.)
    FIFA 2012/13 (Pro Clubs added with virtual pro)
    Super Mario 3
    COD MW2 
    COD BO 
    Warhawk (Wasn't very popular, but may be the funnest game I've ever played.) (Up to 64 player matches!)
    Mario Kart Double Dash
    GTA San Andreas

Personally I love competition and my love for games has only grown as the online multiplayer experiences has evolved. There's nothing I love more than playing sports games as a single participant in a full online match. 

I'd also like to throw in a honorable mention for Street Fighter 2 Turbo edition. It deserves to be on the list, but I ran out of room. 
  • DrewDrew indianapolis
    edited July 2015
    1. Metal Gear Solid
    2. Fallout 3
    3. The Last of Us
    4. Journey
    5. The Walking Dead Season 1

Only ever made myself a top 5, so off the top of my head for 5 games I love.

Metal Gear Solid 3
    Final Fantasy 9
    Rock Band 2
    Persona 4
    SmackDown Here Comes the Pain

@AManIsNoOne i got to say MW2 is peak COD for me, would love for them to do a remaster of MW1/2 with both campaigns and the online intact from the original with all the map packs.
  • In no particular order:

Ms. Pacman
    The Legend of Zelda
    Super Mario Bros.
    Donkey Kong Country
    Super Mario Cart
    Age of Empires 2
    Civilization 3
    World of Warcraft
  • FlashGordonFlashGordon Leeds, UK
    edited July 2015
    The Last of us
    Resident Evil 2
    Metal Gear Solid
    GTA San Andreas
    Command & Conquer 
    Age of Empires 2
    COD MW2
    Ghosts n' Goblins
    Tomb Raider 2
    Heavy Rain

• Metal gear solid for PS is certainly one I have fond memories of. COD MW 2 with the invasion of the U.S. Is also a great game
    @Drew, I can respect that and a MW1/2 mashup would be awesome. Especially being remastered to current standards.. I'm in.
    Has anybody here played Warhawk?
  • Tough, but great question! Here are mine in alphabetical order. Too hard to rank them.
    Also I've cheated a little by putting games from the same series as one, just so I could sneak a couple of extra choices in. 

Dark Souls / Demon's Souls
    Fallout 2 / Fallout: New Vegas
    Final Fantasy VII
    The Last of Us
    Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater
    Ninja Gaiden (NES \ Xbox)
    Red Dead Redemption
    Shadow of the Colossus 
    Sonic The Hedgehog
    Timesplitters 2

• HatorianHatorian Dagobah
    edited July 2015
    Red Dead! nice add. Was Warhawk the flight simulator PS game?
    edited July 2015
    Some Sega games that really bring back some memories. 

- Streets of Rage
    - Shadow Run
    - Zombies Ate my Neighbors
    - Mortal Kombat
    - True Lies

• I didn't really get into gaming until fairly recently, so most of my picks are the games that either introduced me to gaming as an alternative way to experience a good story or that provided many fond memories playing with my friends.

1. Mass Effect trilogy
    2. Skyrim
    3. The Last of Us
    4. Super Mario Bros 3
    5. The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt
    6. Red Dead Redemption
    7. Shadow of Mordor
    8. Tomb Raider (2013)
    9. Halo series
    10. Destiny
  • Skyrim, Last of US, Witcher 3, Red Dead and Shadow of Mordor are considered some of the best games in the past 15 years if not best games ever so you havent missed much mate! I need to get on Witcher and Mordor. Havee them both purchased but haven't played them uch. 
    @Hatorian Yep, but being labeled just a flight simulator is one of the main reasons it never quite made it to mainstream. The ground war elements were fairly rich and the seamless transition from ground to air is what made it special.

Speaking of fond memories, how about NFL Blitz? I've got to make room for either it or NBA Jamz.
    edited July 2015
    I actually preferred NHL Hitz. not many people played it but it was 3 on 3 hockey and was epic fun with my buddies. Not only could you have alot of fun about who your 3 players were but the fights and slams into the glass were good fun. 

• bizmarkiefaderbizmarkiefader San Francisco
    Half Life
    Half Life 2
    Counter Strike
    Natural Selection
    Metal Gear Solid 2
    Hotline Miami
    ES4 Oblivion
    Left 4 Dead
    Vice City
    Capcom vs SNK 2

I'm still amazed at how awesome Half Life's mod scene was. So many great games spawned out of there.
    Oh yea, I'm a big fan of NHL too. Never played hitz but you could put somebody through the glass on NHL 14. Pure epicness.
    edited July 2015
    Speaking of hockey and nostalgia what about Mutant Hockey and Football League!

Never played it, what system was that?
  • sega
  • TravisTravis CA
    edited July 2015

I didn't give this a ton of thought so I'm sure that I'm missing some great stuff:

• Tiger Woods Golf (Wii)
    • RBI Baseball (the old NES one from the late 80s)
    • Legend of Zelda (original NES)
    • Wii Sports (the generic one that comes with the system)
    • NBA Jam
    • Knights of the Old Republic (I only played through it once, but I don't think I've ever been sucked in quite like that game got me)
    • MLB 2K12 (Wii)
    • Street Fighter 2
    • Golden Eye 64
    • Mario Kart (#1 with not only a bullet, but a missile)

• @Travis

yes. its apparent you didnt give it much thought... haha kidding. Mario Kart for sure! For baseball its definitely MVP 2005 for me. 
  • ksa1001ksa1001 Plano, TX
    Contra (First game I ever beat [Up, Up, Down, Down...])
    Mike Tyson's Punchout
    Super Mario Bros 3
    Tetris (NES)
    Wii Sports
    DeJaVu (NES)
    Golden Eye 64
    Killer Instinct Gold 64
    Street Fighter 2 Ultra Edition
    Call of Duty Modern Warfare Trilogy
    GTA 3, IV & V

• Seems like Goldeneye makes a lot of lists. I remember after school we would make it home as soon as possible and play 1v1v1v1. No Oddjob and no cheating and looking at other screens. Especially if you were using the Remote Mine. 

That was also the first game ever that I completed 100% percent. I remember some of the insane achievements to get things like the golden gun or paintball. Finish the level without getting hit in 2 minutes....
  • TravisTravis CA
    edited July 2015
    @Hatorian Ha! I haven't played MVP 2005, but I love baseball games. It just feels like a sport that translates perfectly to a video game system. I'm also a fan of the whole trading players and rounding out your team part in the season modes. It's good stuff. Mario Kart is the bomb, yo! Man, if I had a dollar for every hour that I spent with my friends in my late teens hanging out with herbal supplements and Mario Kart, I may not be rich but I could take my wife on a pretty nice vacation.
  • hahaha herbal supplements. There is no other way to play.
  • They, like, improve your focus, man.
    edited July 2015
    haha im teaching my 4 year old how to play (not that I have to. he loves it) . He is pretty good. No herbal supplements though. I am gonna be like that asshole dad forcing my kid to play football to make up for my past failures except instead of football it will be like COD 10 or Madden 2020....haha
  • I hear you, man. Except in my case I'm going to shove a guitar and a keyboard into my kids hands as soon as they are capable of pressing a key or holding a guitar. "No dinner until you play Wowee Zowee in its entirety!" "Why don't you call that kid from down the block and jam? I don't care if he's a total dick, that kid's got real bass chops."
    edited July 2015
    if you don't eat your meat, you cant have any pudding. haha not sure why your no dinner and music comment made me think of that..
  • It's funny the way these things spin, that one brought to mind the Beastie Boys sample "If it's gonna be that kind of party I'm gonna stick my dick in the mashed potatoes." Cracks me up every time.
    HatorianFrakkin T