Silent Movies - "Jupiter Ascending"

A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
edited July 2015 in Movies
I turn the tables on Jim and play the host as he struggles to understand the latest Wachowski mega-epic, "Jupiter Ascending".  

There is 30 seconds during an action scene where the audio drops out, and I accidentally let one or two brief lines of dialog intact, due to my inexperience with the video editing software, so be on the lookout for that.  Otherwise, hope you enjoy this premium feature!

Travis

Comments

• is this only the second 'silent movie game'?
  • DrKenDrKen Chicago
    edited July 2015
    Too bad, Jim.  If you had just searched "Mila Kunis Bee Control" like you first stated it, you would have gotten a Washington Post article explaining every excruciating detail of the movie.
    A_Ron_HubbardHatorianTravis
  • DrKen said:

Too bad, Jim.  If you had just searched "Mila Kunis Bee Control" like you first stated it, you would have gotten a Washington Post article explaining every excruciating detail of the movie.

i think you can cancel your annual vist to the hindsught opthomologist 
  • I think watching the movie either beforehand or partway through like I did with "The Mule" is the way to go with these.  I knew as much as Jim going into this one and I now have zero desire to watch the full movie.

It's hard to say what kind of movies will make the best silent movie.  I think "The Mule" was probably a more interesting choice than "Jupiter Ascending," but I'm completely sure why.  I thought it might be funny to do something like "Before Sunrise," which is literally Ethan Hawke and some french girl walking around Vienna talking for an hour and a half, but that could also be really stupid since there's no real plot to discuss.  I think the more obscure, less predictable movies are generally the way to go though.

One suggestion going forward:
    The rules and the stakes of the game show need to be more clear.  Is seems like the point of the game should be to get as many correct answers as possible, but you both seem to focus more on figuring out the plot of the movie before the end, with the quiz questions being used more as learning experiences.  Maybe you could set it up so whoever gets more correct answers (by percentage of course) gets some sort of reward, like a free meal at a restaurant of his choice, or having the loser write "Dick" on his forhead during the next LWJ&A.  This would shift the focus more to the questions, which could create an interesting dilemma of when to use the life lines since the questions are harder at the beginning, but you can ask more specific questions towards the end.

Overall, I'm really enjoying these and am excited to see what you do next!
    Travis
  • DrKen said:

Seriously???  Well, I'm not disappointed with my performance.  I am waiting for that one killer search that just blows the whole thing open though.  Maybe next time.  I think A.Ron's going to need it.
    Travis
  • Shum said:

I thought it might be funny to do something like "Before Sunrise," which is literally Ethan Hawke and some french girl walking around Vienna talking for an hour and a half, but that could also be really stupid since there's no real plot to discuss.  I think the more obscure, less predictable movies are generally the way to go though.

It's funny, I was thinking that Hurly Burly would be either hilarious or a disaster, a complete mess either way for more or less the same reason. It's mostly set in one apartment with people just standing around talking the whole time. I imagine the "glance cuts" could be incredibly entertaining though and I think it would be hilarious given the lack of details to see what the perceived plot is. I wonder how long that movie is without dialog. There is one moment in particular that I would really look forward to seeing the reaction to.

Anyhoo, I haven't watched the Mule yet but this was really fun. I think these are a great idea and I really enjoyed it.

• bizmarkiefaderbizmarkiefader San Francisco
    I'd vote for sticking to established bad movies given how unfair the premise is to the movie itself. It would feel pretty disrespectful to cut up and trash a movie that's worth watching as the creators intended it. Adam Sandler movies would be perfect for something like this.

I didn't see the lunch or the first episode of this, is there anywhere with a tl;dw for the rules of stuff like the lifelines? I'm assuming there's certain banned words like "explained" when doing the google search and whatnot but I wasn't sure where the lines are drawn.
  • JimJim
    edited July 2015
    @bizmarkiefader Yep, the banned words are the ones in the title of the movie.  So you can't search "Jupiter Ascending Synopsis" or anything like that.  Instead, you have to search "Dog-face Channing Tatum movie plot" or something like that.  And we just use the "feeling lucky" feature of google search so it pulls up the first result.  That way the contestant can't accidentally see some of the other search results and get clues.
  • DrKenDrKen Chicago
    I thought it was great gents.  I think an action movie mixed in every so often would be good.  But long action scenes with no context do get a little tedious.  Also, the audio mix was tough.  There were many stretches where I couldn't hear what you guys were saying at all.

I was trying to think of what a farcical comedy like Airplane would be like with no dialogue.  Could it play more serious.  That one probably wouldn't because there are a lot of physical comedy bits also but it would be interesting to take a movie and see if you can change the tone with a lack of lines.

Well done.
    Travis
  • good stuff guys. My advice would probably be to not use such recent blockbuster movies. I think the probability of contamination from trailers is higher and could give a boost to the contestant. I can see why Aron had no idea about the Mule and I can see why Jim did well on JA...
  • Yeah, i think obscure Netflix movies are the way to go.
    Freddy
  • FreddyFreddy Denton, Texas
    edited July 2015
    Shum said:

Yeah, i think obscure Netflix movies are the way to go.

Probably the easiest, but may not be the best since they tend to be terrible (although... that might actually make it funnier). Really, it seems that after the "I've seen it, but you haven't" pool is exhausted the best course of action is to pick a high rated title off of IMDB at random that neither has seen, and then flip for who watches it.

Oh yeah, and you guys should do a silent movie for The Godfather III instead of just baldmovie-ing it. I mean, surely one of you guys are blind to the actual plot?
  • Jim said:

Yep, the banned words are the ones in the title of the movie.  So you can't search "Jupiter Ascending Synopsis" or anything like that.  Instead, you have to search "Dog-face Channing Tatum movie plot" or something like that.  And we just use the "feeling lucky" feature of google search so it pulls up the first result.  That way the contestant can't accidentally see some of the other search results and get clues.

I actually thought you hit the jackpot with that snarky tweet from Rick Lawson. That was hilarious.

I don't know about anyone else, but the stream kept failing me in the last 15 minutes, so I ended up bailing, which is a shame as I would like to hear the concluding thoughts.

Jim leaving the last one on the table, but I'd like to see one more lifeline added in like 'text a friend'. That may be too complicated for this, but I think it would be funny.
    Travis
  • We were actually considering a "phone a fan" lifeline.  We could maintain a list of club members who want to be in the call pool and randomly call one of those people when a lifeline is used.
    TravisHatorian
  • That's a great idea!
  • @Jim ;

Nice idea! Skype a fan would probably be better as that way you could see who is actually online rather than risk getting a VM. And if you have the technical know how the person can be videod in. Also people wouldn't be needing to give up their private numbers.