Walking Dead spinoff titled: "Cobalt", two actors cast

Two actors were finally cast and announced for the spinoff today, Frank Dillane and Alycia Debnam Carey.

What are your expectations for the spinoff? Am I crazy to think it might be better than the main show?

Comments

• Hard to say. I've only read an article kind of breaking out the main characters and their sort of profiles (if you will). I'm certainly excited to see what they come up with, and I do like the idea of a whole new scenario in this world, but it's hard to say much more at this point. I can tell you that I'll be watching it.

I haven't heard of those actors. Do you have an opinion on them? I saw that Harry Potter movie and the guy looks a little familiar, but I can't really place him. I haven't seen ADC in anything.
  • broompersonbroomperson the Iron Islands
    just milking the franchise for more and more money. Guarantee it's worse than the regular Walking Dead. They talk about being excited about exploring what the zombie apocalypse is like in other parts of the US, WELL, maybe if the show wasn't so attached to the city of Georgia, (as if the show has any real power, AMC is the machine that runs the show) they could do what they did in the comics and move out of Georgia. But no. Sadly, no. Even if they "leave Georgia" I doubt itll be D.C. and they for sure won't move out of state to film. They'll just pretend that it's Richmond or DC. Ugh.
  • Yeah I'm really interested in filming locations too. I'm sure it will be filmed in Georgia regardless of where it is set if that hasn't been officially announced yet. Homeland Seasons 1-3 were filmed in Charlotte but set in DC. They could do that easier though because so much filming was done on sets. In the zombie apocalypse though, would they really be spending that much time inside buildings in DC? You would have to go outside eventually right? Would they green screen all that?
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    Ehhhhhh. Is this going to be " pretty teens in a zombie apocalypse"?
  • FreddyFreddy Denton, Texas
    Looks like it. Those sure are some awfully pretty leads. @Dee‌
  • broompersonbroomperson the Iron Islands
    Frank Dillane any relation to Stephen Dillane aka Stannis the Mannis??
  • Im up for a spinoff, will be cool if the shows intertwine
  • Haven't read the comics, so I don't know if this show will feature characters readers may be familiar with, but it's intriguing since the show runners will have more freedom to explore this world and its people without having fans compare the show to the comics. With a positive comes a negative, which is that with The Walking Dead having the comics to pull ideas and stories from and providing mixed results, I fear that this show won't have that source to pull from and may be weaker. I hope it hits the ground running, but I feel they'll treat it like a "B" show instead of trying to keep on Walking Dead's level or make it better.
  • pavlovsbellpavlovsbell Brooklyn, NY

Frank Dillane any relation to Stephen Dillane aka Stannis the Mannis??

Yeppers. Stephen Dillane is his father.
    steph_bCory
  • TravisTravis CA
    edited December 2014
    In case this interests anybody, here is an article I saw a little bit ago breaking down who the show will be centered around. I'm guessing the casting is for Nick and Ashley Tompkins (although, that Harry Potter movie was quite a few years back and he was playing a dude that sounds like he's about the same age now as who he played then so maybe not. I don't see him playing a Hispanic dude though)
    http://tvline.com/2014/09/27/the-walking-dead-spinoff-cast-characters/
  • I hope they get Anna Torv. I always liked her and I could see her being great in a Walking Dead type roll.
  • ElisaElisa Los Angeles
    Oh and Cliff Curtis is from New Zealand, go figure. He played a Mexican OG in Training Day too.

I hope they get Anna Torv. I always liked her and I could see her being great in a Walking Dead type roll.

I think that Hollywood Reporter article mentioned that she is no longer in the running. I'm probably in the minority on this, but I was not impressed by her on Fringe. And I really wanted to like her, too.

I'm generally not a fan of spinoffs, but my interest in this companion series has shifted from indifference to curiosity. I would still prefer that TWD continue to improve to be, at minimum, consistently good. I would love for it to reach the potential of the pilot, but the Grady arc and the mid-season finale were a few steps back in quality, imo. I'm hopeful that S5-B will be an improvement, but given the inexplicably poor choices that were made (e.g., the positioning and invisibility of the snipers; the impossible physics/editing of Dawn shooting Beth) have lowered my expectations somewhat.

• I hope they get Anna Torv. I always liked her and I could see her being great in a Walking Dead type roll.

I think that Hollywood Reporter article mentioned that she is no longer in the running. I'm probably in the minority on this, but I was not impressed by her on Fringe. And I really wanted to like her, too.

I can see that. I've talked to people who weren't fans of her performance, but I always thought she was good. I liked her portrayal of the whole Olivia/Fauxlivia thing and I choose to believe that her Nemoy accent was meant to be amusing and not spot on (which it was quite amusing). I think that Olivia is a really tough character to play. The whole fusion of the tough FBI agent mixed with the vulnerability of an abused child mixed with the confusion over having strange powers creates a really complicated dynamic and maybe it wasn't always perfect, but on the whole I think she sold it well. I also feel like of all the characters she was one that the writers seem to have had the most difficult time nailing down. I guess in writing this out that maybe there is a whole lot of benefit of the doubt going on, but I could definitely see her knocking a part like the one she was up for out of the park. It's a shame that she's out.
  • ElisaElisa Los Angeles
    I really enjoyed Anna Torv in Fringe. She was a strong female character with a lot of depth and personality, very human with imperfections. She was a big reason why I watched the show. I too really would have liked her in the TWD spinoff.
    Elisa said:

Oh and Cliff Curtis is from New Zealand, go figure. He played a Mexican OG in Training Day too.

I don't remember him in that, but I do remember him from 'Three Kings.'
  • chriskchrisk Indianapolis
    I liked Torv a lot on Fringe. Loved the Nimoy impersonation, and actually thought she was best as Fauxlivia/Bolivia. I'd like to see that character in a Zombie apocalypse.
  • Looks like it is scheduled to begin late this summer. Way quicker than I anticipated.

http://www.hitfix.com/the-fien-print/walking-dead-companion-series-gets-a-two-season-order-from-amc

TaraC73
  • Kim Dickens was Joanie in Deadwood.
    Cory
  • That's good news. I love Kim Dickens.
  • MmmBopMmmBop United Kingdom
    I'm looking forward to the show.
  • TaraC73TaraC73 Manchester NH
    Does anyone know if the guys are gonna cover the new show? Is it definitely called Cobalt?
  • TaraC73 said:

Does anyone know if the guys are gonna cover the new show? Is it definitely called Cobalt?

"Cobalt" isn't mentioned in the article. Dan Feinberg uses something along the lines of "Untitled Walking Dead Spin-Off" or something akin to that when he refers to it. IMDB also has a generic sounding name for it (Fear the Walking Dead).  
    TaraC73
  • CoryCory New Scotland
    steph_b said:

Kim Dickens was Joanie in Deadwood.

She was also in Treme.
  • ksa1001ksa1001 Plano, TX
    and gone girl
  • and Lost and she just entered House of Cards as the new White House correspondent. She's a busy talented actress!
  • Travis said:

TaraC73 said:

"Cobalt" isn't mentioned in the article. Dan Feinberg uses something along the lines of "Untitled Walking Dead Spin-Off" or something akin to that when he refers to it. IMDB also has a generic sounding name for it (Fear the Walking Dead).  
    I believe Cobalt was always supposed to be a working title.
    Travis