And now for something completely different...ANIMATION!

I have watched the first two episodes of "Over the Garden Wall" and I have been loving it so, so much, if anyone else want to discuss that or any other animation they are currently loving?

Comments

• DeeDee Adelaide
    Hadn't heard of this one but I just looked it up on IMDB and now I'm busting to watch it.
  • aberry89aberry89 California
    edited December 2014
    OMG. It is something special. I think the whole series has already aired, but you can get it on iTunes for like 10 bucks. totally worth it.

I forgot to add a link to the trailer in my first post, so here it is if anyone is wondering - https://youtube.com/watch?v=7Qf4HYM_7eY
  • FreddyFreddy Denton, Texas
    Oh wow... that looks solid. One of those shows where the sum of the parts adds up to more than the whole, I would imagine.
    How do you post images, so they can be seen in the feed? I would love to post some art from this show, because that was the big draw for me (pun not intended )
  • aberry89 said:

How do you post images, so they can be seen in the feed? I would love to post some art from this show, because that was the big draw for me (pun not intended )

If you click on the little page icon in the tool bar above the comment box, there's a place to paste a URL of an image:

Note that some websites don't like you hotlinking to their content like this; some outright prevent it and show you a canned 'don't do this' instead of the image you want to see, but most don't care and may only stop it if there's a ton of traffic pulling their bandwidth without actually going to their site.
  • A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    I'm in the middle of watching "Samurai Champloo" and I'm watching "Sailor Moon Crystal" with Cecily at the moment. Enjoying Sailor Moon a lot more than I was expecting, I can tell you that.
    edited December 2014
    @A.Ron.Hubbard - Wow, did not expect that.
    @ghm3 Thanks! You found some good ones too :)
  • @aberry89‌ thanks for informing us about this. It looks very interesting and I will check it out.

I am finishing Star Wars Clone Wars which I really like. I also watched Batman, Assault on Arkahm this weekend and that was excellent.
  • Frakkin TFrakkin T Currently Offline
    I'm hot and cold about animation. The best stuff I've seen are probably the Laika films, Coraline and Paranorman. Kinda kid-friendly but just scary enough to give them nightmares.
  • @A.Ron.Hubbard Sailor Moon Crystal is a much closer adaptation of the manga than the old series, and thus it is a bit more mature even though it still has some silliness going on.

Sailor Moon was one of my favourite childhood shows and I was super stoked when Crystal was announced and I'm really enjoying it as well. They're supposed to be releasing all the old series in HD and newly dubbed as well (or maybe they already have.) anyway, it's a great experience. lol.

I finished the anime Terror in Resonance not long ago and it was pretty great.

Also, guys, if you watch any anime please watch Cowboy Bebop. I think if you enjoy Samurai Champloo you'd enjoy Cowboy Bebop. It's fantastic.

Other anime reccos Steins;Gate, Trigun, Neon Genesis Evangelion, and.... Chuunibyou Demo Ga Shitai :lol:
  • edited December 2014
    @aberry89‌ yeah np.

For a complete change of pace, if anyone is interested in seeing some animation that's deeply impactful (and depressing as shit) check out Grave of the Fireflies
  • Grave of the Fireflies is amazing and it's even half autobiographical which makes it even more sad than it already was. :(
    People always just say Grave of Fireflies IS SOOO sad, such a downer, don't see it! But i just a review by the nostalgia critic and it looks AMAZING. love miyazaki films, so it's high time i see it.

What are your favorite miyazaki films?
  • @aberry89‌ Grave of the Fireflies isn't some huge downer the whole time or anything like that. It's depressing because of the contrast of the happy-go-lucky child's prism view of the world clashing with the harsh realities of the real world, which gives it more impact than it could ever have if it were just bleak throughout. I'm not specifically into anime or anything though so I can't comment on miyazaki or anything, I've just had certain random things I've come across.

Now if you want something REALLY out there, check out Girls und Panzer
  • Says you're not into anime and then knows of and even links to Girls Und Panzer. Okay. :p

Also disagree, I think Grave of the Fireflies is one of the most sad and depressing/bleak movies I've ever watched.
  • A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    Yeah, I've seen Cowboy Beebop, I actually just rewatched it in September. It's good, but I like Champloo better. I think the art and design is better (Beebop is amazing too, but it has aged and the colors and linework just doesn't
    "pop" like Champloo), and I just love Jinn, basically. Although my favorite anime of all time is Fullmetal Alchemist. It was the first anime I watched (I had an irrational prejudice against the genre for the longest time) and it really blew me away with how poignant, and fucked up it was. Great action, too.
    I need to check out Champloo, I really love Cowboy Bebop, the story and the music are so great. It has style :) Anime is one of those things that people just have to see, because there is A LOT of prejudgment from us westerners on it. One that really stuck out to me the last couple years was "Death Note." Incredibly smart writing, like House of Cards smart writing - very wordy. It's very tense, has good mystery, very smart, it unfortunately goes on for like four episodes too long at the end, which is a shame, but still good.
  • Gan said:

Says you're not into anime and then knows of and even links to Girls Und Panzer. Okay. :p

Also disagree, I think Grave of the Fireflies is one of the most sad and depressing/bleak movies I've ever watched.

@Gan Haha. I'm really not though, dunno much of anything about it really, but I see random things here and there, such as Girls und Panzer. I only know what that is because I play World of Tanks and people kept mentioning it in the chat so I finally googled it one day.

Anime isn't really my thing but I try not to write off anything entirely and will check out pretty much anything that would generally be outside my wheelhouse. Usually they're dead ends interest-wise but I'll occasionally come across something I like.