Upon further review: Tues vs Thurs cast release?

What did/does everyone think of this season's Bald Move TD cast experiment: Releasing on Thursday (with more Psychosphere theories and pre-canned summaries interjected), as opposed to the Tuesday release (traditional full cast ala BrBa, TWD, GOT, etc). I have some very clear thoughts on this, but I don't want to lead the discussion one way or the other. What say you? 

Comments

• bizmarkiefaderbizmarkiefader San Francisco
    I think True Detective has enough to digest to warrant a couple extra days to re-watch and think about it. I doubt it would be as good if they released it on Tuesday.
    hypergenesbangryjef
  • Yeah I think it works well for this show. The Leftovers and perhaps Fargo may also benefit from this format. It's definitely not for other shows though such as GoT or TWD, they should stay how they are.
  • I actually like the Thursday cast for this season as the summer season is often a tough time for me to see the episode on Sunday and Thursday is a nice buffer to catch up before the cast goes up. I also like a few extra days to form my thoughts and follow the conversations on the forums.

As for the format, it is refreshing to not have the straight episode recap like the other casts. I'm all for experimentation to give different shows slightly different vibes.
  • DrewDrew indianapolis
    edited August 2015
    Thursday I feel is super late, I like to group all the podcasts I listen to for a show and just do a big listen at work that night, but by Thursday I've already heard all the recaps, not that I would skip a BM joint, just a personal inconvenience.

As for the recap, I liked it for the rewatch but I don't feel like it melds well with the live showing, especially for a season less rich than the first. Personally I think they should use the format whenever they go back to a show and just keep the regular recap style for currently airing shows.

Example, I think this more produced version would actually fit super well with the Breaking Bad rewatch, and they should do a modified version for the Mad Men recaps when they get to it. But then again I'm just a lowly listener and they have experience I don't, just my two cents.
  • A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    Jim and I were just talking about this.  I think it's possible that we could advance it to Wednesday evening release without compromising the depth.

One thing I've been pondering.  Some/most/all(?) of the "depth" is bullshit.  For example, the Luna Park stuff I found so fascinating and the Bohemian Grove / Molock connections I wouldn't have been able to piece together by Tuesday, and you wouldn't have gotten it until the next week.  But would you care in the grand scheme?  If Luna Park = Marty's Daughter's Drawings, then it doesn't seem like the psychosphere stuff is all that important. 
    historicstork
  • edited August 2015
    I vote for the Thursday release. As great as it would be to have it ASAP, I think the Thursday release gives you two the time to gather up some really great information. It's worth the wait.

As far as the "depth...bullshit": I love it!! Even if all those connections turn out to be absolutely nothing, the deep trip I get from over-huffing the psychosphere is the best part of True Detective.  That's especially true of this (far far?) inferior second season, so please keep huffin'!
    MurderbearAntManBeeUnderwood
  • I keep forgetting the show by Thursday, too many pills I guess. Always watch it a second time before listening
  • MurderbearMurderbear Cold Spring, Ky
    edited August 2015
    I agree with a big ol huff of psychosphere! (Easy for me to say, I'm not doing a bunch of research) But I think Nick P. puts this kind of stuff in there just to get people talking. Even if it goes nowhere, it's still fun! @A_Ron_Hubbard, I listened to a podcast last year where you put forth arguments that Varys could be a MerMan.....I'm with ya buddy. Let's huff away!
  • given there is no pyschosphere stuff is it possible to get a weds release for ep 8?  
    Andrew
  • Thanks everyone for their thoughts. My 2 cents: If you want a little extra time, Wednesday is probably your best bet (Though I still think Tuesday is the ideal cast date for a Sunday show). Thursday is just too damn late. By then, just about all the casts have been released, and everyone has shot their theory wad. It puts you so late in the game, and I can't imagine that any of the extra psychosphere stuff (gleaned in later days) really added that much to the discussion. 
    ksa1001FlashGordon
  • ksa1001ksa1001 Plano, TX
    @hypergenesb "Theory Wad" will be the name of my band, thanks.

Now I just need to learn to play an instrument.
    hypergenesbFlashGordonhistoricstork
  • I felt the Thursday release was the best way forward, because i enjoyed the tone of the first season's coverage so much. The psychosphere stuff was worth the wait in the first few episodes on S2 coverage, but I would have sacrificed some of that for an earlier release as it went on.

So yeh , if a Wednesday release was possible for S3 I think that'd be better to keep ahead of the game and because the pyscosphere stuff doesn't seem to go anywhere, interesting as it is.

Also agree that keeping conversation up to date, those couple days make a big difference
    What I'd like to do in my heart of hearts is straight up conversation about the show on Tuesday, and Psychsphere on Friday, ala Game of Thrones.
    FlashGordonhypergenesbUnderwood
  • For this particular show, I actually prefer the Thursday schedule. I like that they take their time to put together such a thoughtful and crafty cast.

And speaking of just too damn late, hey @hypergenesb when are Jason and Sion going to cover episodes 7 & 8 of this season for the Natter Cast?
    DaveyMac
  • I think that's the way to go if the show maintains it's hype, Your coverage has been great and much loved as usual, I'd say this is some of you guys best work, I guess we're all just chewing over the best way to deliver it here, but it's all just preferance  @A_Ron_Hubbard
  • aberry89aberry89 California
    It was absolutely fine with me and I loved the new formant they tried. 

However, I would have LOVED an instant cast right after the episode. I always was itching to know what other people thought after watching the episode. It doesnt need to be researched...well edited, just a quick talk about the episode. 
    Hatorianhypergenesb
  • AntManBee said:

For this particular show, I actually prefer the Thursday schedule. I like that they take their time to put together such a thoughtful and crafty cast.

And speaking of just too damn late, hey @hypergenesb when are Jason and Sion going to cover episodes 7 & 8 of this season for the Natter Cast?

I have no idea what the delays are all about. You'd have to ask Jason and Sion. :-(
    I'm opposed to the Instant Cast for something like True Detective, I'd sound / feel like an idiot.
  • dan2988dan2988 manchester uk
    Yeah @A_Ron_hubbard is right, an instant cast would never work for true detective! Its just not that kind of show. I think the splitting of the casts between tues and Fri for normal and psycho sounds like a really strong idea. We get two casts and we'd get the live recordings back which is something ive missed! I think that format would also work for Fargo and leftovers
  • bizmarkiefaderbizmarkiefader San Francisco
    If you weren't taking the coverage seriously a True Detective instant cast could be hilarious. A Silent Movies for season 2 would also be amazing.

dan2988kingbee67
  • edited August 2015
    I don't really care when it drops as long as @A_Ron_Hubbard stops bashing red heads
    #wink