The Wire in HD

hypergenesbhypergenesb Atlanta
edited December 2014 in Other TV
It's official.
http://www.hitfix.com/whats-alan-watching/omar-in-high-def-comin-the-wire-gets-a-high-definition-widescreen-makeover

And Simon seems content.
http://davidsimon.com/the-wire-in-hd/

Time to get that ultimate special edition rewatch cast in gear @A.Ron.Hubbard

Comments

• broompersonbroomperson the Iron Islands
    Anyone else think that the show works really well in regular def? The grimeyness may not come off as grimey in HD you feel me?
  • FreddyFreddy Denton, Texas
    edited December 2014
    For sure, the last thing The Wire ever had a problem with was looking great. Any excuse to watch it again is good enough for me though.
    Well I've already got all the seasons on DVD, do we know if HBO is going to air them on TV? Or if HBO go is going to be HD now?
  • hypergenesbhypergenesb Atlanta
    edited December 2014
    HBO is going to re-air the series in HD. Just haven't announced when...
  • Fantastic news! I've convinced my self that I actually like the older grainy look because that was how it was intended to come across when made... i'll probably change my mind about 15 mins into a new episode with HD
  • I personally cannot wait for this.
  • A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    Honestly, the Wire being in SD almost put me off on it. Almost. I remember when I first fired it up thinking "What is this Hill Street Blues bullshit", which didn't last until I got through the fade into end credits. But if it weren't for Bill Simmons constantly boosting it, I'd have never made it through the intro credits. Super stoked that Simon is on board (and I think it's amazing that HBO respects it's creators enough to SLAM ON THE BRAKES on a high def release they already had spent a shit load of time and money on, when they absolutely did not have to), though I think it is hilarious how it took him 10k words to say so.
  • ElisaElisa Los Angeles
    I hate to say it but I couldn't get into The Wire. I tried to watch the pilot but it didn't do anything for me :neutral_face:
    Take some time and give it another try @Elisa‌. I actually was the same way, watched the first few episodes and it didnt grab me so I stopped watching. Than I picked it back up a few months later, started from the pilot again, and today i say its the best drama of all time.
    Might wait for the High Def version at this point. I'm super psyched to re-watch it that way.
  • pavlovsbellpavlovsbell Brooklyn, NY
    edited December 2014
    I'm looking forward to it also, although I didn't get the impression that Simon was too happy about it. He would prefer that you watch it as he originally intended it to be seen, but if the HD widescreen version introduces new people to The Wire, then well, he's happy about that. He wrote (paraphrasing), "Although this is not the film that I made, it is an acceptable alternative version." I think the biggest issue is the 16:9 format.

Edited to add: Here is the exact quotation:

At the last, I’m satisfied what while this new version of The Wire is not, in some specific ways, the film we first made, it has sufficient merit to exist as an alternate version. There are scenes that clearly improve in HD and in the widescreen format. But there are things that are not improved. And even with our best resizing, touchups and maneuver, there are some things that are simply not as good. That’s the inevitability: This new version, after all, exists in an aspect ratio that simply wasn’t intended or serviced by the filmmakers when the camera was rolling and the shot was framed.

Still, being equally honest here, there can be no denying that an ever-greater portion of the television audience has HD widescreen televisions staring at them from across the living room, and that they feel notably oppressed if all of their entertainments do not advantage themselves of the new hardware. It vexes them in the same way that many with color television sets were long ago bothered by the anachronism of black-and-white films, even carefully conceived black-and-white films. For them, The Wire seems frustrating or inaccessible – even more so than we intended it. And, hey, we are always in it to tell people a story, first and foremost. If a new format brings a few more thirsty critters to the water’s edge, then so be it.

And this Vox article explains why preserving the original aspect ratio is important:
    http://www.vox.com/2014/12/3/7327539/wire-bluray
  • I also tried the pilot and couldnt get into it. After reading the hype I think I will give it another go. Same with Newsroom, just couldn't get into it, but I hear its great.
    Well, if you've never read Simon before, I could see you thinking that was a lukewarm endorsement. I read it as him being extremely pleased. If he was "mildly dissatisfied" he'd have been blasting HBO execs at full volume, if he was "unhappy", he might start filling vacants, haha.
  • Nail guns are on sale at the Home Depot!
    you didnt even wait to get the muafucka in the house!
  • chriskchrisk Indianapolis
    I understood the reasons for keeping it 4:3 in the later seasons and I think it worked for the show, but if they've gone through as meticulously as it sounds I'm happy about that too.

I really liked Simons take, especially as relates to the videos he put up.
  • FreddyFreddy Denton, Texas
    David Simon is the George Lucas of bureaucratic dysfunction crime drama.
  • I'm both excited as hell for an HD rewatch and yet still extremely tentative on if I actually will like it.
  • @A.Ron

What are the plans for a Wire podcast? I don't want to start watching it...well, rewatching...if you're going to start a podcast sooner than later.

Thanks for your time.
  • The entire HD series drops on HBO GO on the day after Christmas, and there's a marathon starting early January. I've been waiting to watch myself, so I second the question above... Is there a bald move wire cast in the near future I should wait for?
  • WarpFoxWarpFox Nashville, TN
    @pavlovsbell Simon's article had me lol'ing with the second to last paragraph, basically saying consumers want their "shiny thing to do the thing it's supposed to do" and saying that he's willing to sacrifice a small bit of his artistic vision in order to accomplish wider appeal. The man is meticulous and jaded, and I find it simultaneously haughty and hilarious.
  • I've seen some DVD footage of this show and don't think it looks as bad as people make it out to be. Looks like it's for sure a show that's more than few years old but still watchable.
This discussion has been closed.