Mr. Robot Spoilers/Reaction Thread

bizmarkiefaderbizmarkiefader San Francisco
edited August 2015 in Other TV
New thread so we don't have to dance around the spoilers.

Esmail did a really interesting interview with Entertainment Weekly:

So what else can we expect in the last two episodes?

A lot of things happen in these episodes that are going to give people
who are following the show a lot to process and a lot to rethink and a
lot to figure out.

Should be fun.

Elisa

Comments

• AManIsNoOneAManIsNoOne Greensboro, NC
    Team Real Robot...is officially down for the count.
    Elisa
  • mike_kmike_k Sunnyvale CA
    All I can say is boooooooooooooo

Sam Esmail thinks he's Chuck Palahniuk
  • AManIsNoOneAManIsNoOne Greensboro, NC
    How bout that Rami though? If he doesn't get a lead actor Emmy nom, I'll be shocked.
    Elisa
    edited August 2015
    Yea pretty sick... Actually I'm having second thought on hating on the copycating, it seems it was intentional with the subtle music in the background...

Travis
  • ArctorArctor The Netherlands
    edited August 2015
    @mike_k Yeah they even used 'Where is my mind'. Gorgeous fragile piano interpretation, gotta give em that :)

All my objections aside this was a pretty damn great episode. Was this actually the finale? I'd be perfectly happy if it was. In fact I'd like it if they do the True Detective thing and make an independent second season. Maybe they can do Donnie Darko next!

EDIT: I see from the article linked in OP there's one more coming... Are we going to see E-Corp's destruction or Elliot's strangulation?
    Elisa
  • kingbee67kingbee67 Los Angeles Ca.
    edited August 2015
    Did you like Tyler Durden, Patrick Bateman or Hard Harry or any of the other anti heros Christian Slater played? Well your gonna love the new show we at USA got for you.
  • On further reflection, given that Esmail was very upfront about the show's he believed influenced him I think it was always set up for Fight Club reveal, which actually I don't mind because I never really bought the fact that Slaterbot could fake his own death, not age, and be a master B and E artist, plus it was all set up well so I'm cool with it. Tyrell Wellick is going to co-opt this thing for his own personal goals and I feel like someone's going to die next episode. Should be a great season finale.
    Elisa
  • On a separate note, Mr Robot has already been renewed for a second season which is great, but I honestly have no idea what that would actually look like.
    Elisa
  • I don't know exactly why or what sparked this thought when I was watching last nights episode but it has stuck with me so I'll throw it out here and see what you all think.

Is Tyrell real or just another of Elliot's personalities? I can't remember if Gideon has ever met with Tyrell in person.

Could be nothing but to use a quote from Fight Club "Marla... the little scratch on the roof of your mouth that would heal if only you could stop tonguing it, but you can't." The scratch hasn't healed yet for me.
    Elisa
  • I am an unholy amount of pissed, frustrated, and intrigued. Ok fine, we got the fight club scenario everyone assumed was the case and ............WHAT!!!!!!! I can't reconcile that reveal with with the meeting Tyrell and Mr Robot, which would lead one to think that Mr Robot is real, or else who the fuck else was Tyrell talking to!!!!!!! I still think there is the possibility that Mr Robot is real, yes the Slaterbot is a real person, who has not had any actual contact with Elliot, and He is also a figment of Elliot's imagination. Nothing I have seen so far would lead me to believe the writers have foreclosed on either of these scenarios, so both could be true. Goddamn you ESMAIL , IS THE VILLIGAN BEHIND THIS TELL ME THE TRUTH ARE U IN ON THIS, oh crap, I've got Elliot's paranoia, I need my morphine, Hello Friend
    AManIsNoOne
  • hypergenesbhypergenesb Atlanta
    edited August 2015
    In case anyone is interested: Here's the piano version of Where is My Mind playing in the final scene.

AManIsNoOne
  • I don't know exactly why or what sparked this thought when I was watching last nights episode but it has stuck with me so I'll throw it out here and see what you all think.

Is Tyrell real or just another of Elliot's personalities? I can't remember if Gideon has ever met with Tyrell in person.
    Could be nothing but to use a quote from Fight Club "Marla... the little scratch on the roof of your mouth that would heal if only you could stop tonguing it, but you can't." The scratch hasn't healed yet for me.

Tyrell met with Gideon in the last episode, when Gideon tells him about the Honeycomb Allsafe put on the infected server.

• Tyrell met with Gideon in the last episode, when Gideon tells him about the Honeycomb Allsafe put on the infected server.

Ooops Thanks I went back and rewatched that scene, lack of sleep and trying in vain to catch up on too many shows took it's toll for awhile.
  • bizmarkiefaderbizmarkiefader San Francisco
    Excited to see Elliot and Tyrell do something together but I don't see any way this doesn't go off the rails. I wonder if it will just be Elliot trying to get rid of him or if he'll try to use the situation to hurt Evil Corp or help Angela somehow.
    Elisa

Is Tyrell real or just another of Elliot's personalities?

I had this same thought while watching the episode. I don't think it's right, but it did get me thinking.
  • I don't think its full Fight Club. It appears that his sister is real. Also there is only so many "new" ideas. I would rather get a great story that borrows from existing ideas than a crappy story with a new idea. 

Not sure why people are excited for Tyrell to work with F-society. Has everyone forgotten this dude is a complete pyschopath who beats homeless people for money, watches women go to the bathroom, sleeps with men for information, strangles people to death and fires people for no reason? He's not really an anti-hero you can root for. Story wise and viewing wise its cool but not sure I am onboard with F-society if Tyrell is a member...
    Elisa
  • I am also confused on the Mr. Robot/Tyrell meeting previously. Can anyone explain how that makes sense now?
    Hatorian said:

Not sure why people are excited for Tyrell to work with F-society. Has everyone forgotten this dude is a complete pyschopath who beats homeless people for money, watches women go to the bathroom, sleeps with men for information, strangles people to death and fires people for no reason? He's not really an anti-hero you can root for. Story wise and viewing wise its cool but not sure I am onboard with F-society if Tyrell is a member...

Excited to see what happens rather than rooting for Tyrell. Obviously Tyrell isn't a good guy and there's no way Elliot lets him into the real fsociety unless he dissolves it first. He's not going to want him anywhere near Darlene.
  • chriskchrisk Indianapolis
    edited August 2015
    Didn't seem to me it was intended as a big reveal. Lampshaded more or less by the "you knew all along" which is addressed to the viewer/imaginary friend. I like that not only is Mr. Robot a figment of imagination, but so are we. Darlene turned out to be the big reveal last week, and it was played up more than this was. 

I assume any conversations Mr. Robot had could be either completely made up or Elliott was assuming that personality without knowing it. I could be wrong but I don't think they've ever dropped in the idea that Elliott had blackouts, or time that wasn't account for. 

• @Hatorian

I am under the assumption that anytime someone besides Elliot is talking to Mr Robot they are actually just talking to Elliot, which is why Tyrell knew who Robot was because he's actually Elliot and after meeting him he went home and talked to his wife about the "low-tech guy" he thought was only in it for revenge which is what he thought was Elliot's motive for getting Colby fired.
    HatorianElisaTravis
  • MrXMrX CO
    edited August 2015
    chrisk said:

Didn't seem to me it was intended as a big reveal. Lampshaded more or less by the "you knew all along" which is addressed to the viewer/imaginary friend. I like that not only is Mr. Robot a figment of imagination, but so are we. Darlene turned out to be the big reveal last week, and it was played up more than this was. 

Agreed ... we're conditioned as an audience to think that we're supposed to be detectives w/ tv shows always figuring out what the next "twist" is going to be or where the plot is going. In Mr. Robot, that's not the intent... we were in on it the whole time, as Elliot keeps telling us! So I'm not at all disappointed w/ the "reveal" that Mr. Robot is Dad Durden. It's all about what Elliot is going through. And the show is doing amazing job to that end.

The instrumental homage to Fight Club was just that, a little homage; this show has always embraced it's meta aspects.
    ElisaAManIsNoOneTravisCJwriter
  • What I love about the Tyrell/Mr. Robot scene is that they shot while knowing 100% the true nature of Mr. Robot. So even though it doesn't quite make sense on the surface, you know that we still have a bit more to come.
    Travis
    Hatorian said:

I am also confused on the Mr. Robot/Tyrell meeting previously. Can anyone explain how that makes sense now?

If I'm remembering right didn't he let Elliot get away with the Colby hack? I think Tyrell knew about it and let it happen because he thought he was a lock for CTO. He definitely found the fsociety file on the server with the honey pot and made sure it stayed there. 
    Elisa
  • edited August 2015
    Always beware the American-Psycho-esque high-powered business exec with his fastidious ways and bum beating rituals.

Tyrell will think he's in with fsociety and will be able to wreak his revenge. He won't. I predict dead for Tyrell.

Elisa
  • The finale is being delayed a week because it contains a scene that is similar to today's shooting. Critics who have seen the episode in advance seem to agree that USA is doing the right thing. Wow.

ryanfosterAlkaid13
  • Alkaid13Alkaid13 Georgia
    edited August 2015
    I mean that's a very good reason to postpone a finale. Probably the best reason. Good decision USA network. Also fuck that guy.
    ElisaMrXAManIsNoOnerealityzealotryanfoster
  • I just binged the whole thing in the past three days. My mind is a little bent from episode 9. I'm not going to try to hard to work it all out, just enjoying the ride for now. 

The bad thing about binging is it's all over so fast. I barely had time to enjoy it. 
    ElisaryanfosterAManIsNoOne
  • Finale, great. This is my favorite tv show in awhile, maybe since Breaking Bad. I'm sure there are flaws, but the show is so good, I don't even recognize them. 

Put this theory in ice for a few years. The whole thing is a fantasy taking place in his head as he sits in the funeral for his father. 
    Elisa
    Finale left a lot of questions out there...

This is effectively what would've happened after Fight Club concluded. I'm excited for what's to come...

Here's to hoping there's a podcast in store next season!!
    Elisa